Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(When Signing) Did Peyton Manning See More In Us Than We Did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Utterly Clueles View Post
    At the time the teams were courting Peyton (and to this day I believe the actual number was probably 3X what was reported in the media) I was pretty sure he would end up in Denver.

My reason? I thought of all the franchises interested, Denver, and the Broncos, were most like Indianapolis, and the Colts. It certainly isn't a perfect match, but it actually is closer than you might think. Peyton is really not a guy that wants a fifty foot statue erected of him on the city square. He's all about football, but he wants his professional life separated from his private, family life.

I know how big football is in Denver (compared to Indianapolis, where it's big, but Indiana is primarily a basketball state). Peyton would literally vanish from the news once the season ended, only to magically re-appear once training camp opened. As a 365 days/year football fan this would drive me nuts, as I believe he's certainly in the top two or three quarterbacks I've ever seen play the game, and I've been watching for 50+ years. After a while I just came to believe he spent those 4 months watching tape in some dark cave, because that was the only explanation possible for how he continued to throttle the rest of the NFL from his position.

On the other hand, I take this absence as a sign that Peyton, the professional quarterback, is really trying to separate as much as possible his professional responsibilities from his personal ones. Respect that separation, and I think you'll have no trouble keeping him as long as he wants to play football.
    Welcome aboard UC! And really nice first post. Your view on the situation makes a whole lot of sense. I get the feeling that Peyton is a lot more than a QB. He is an extremely well-rounded individual and a class act. He handles anything I've seen with maturity and common sense. And he seems to be a very respectful person. Even though I was not a big fan of his before he came here, it was always easy to understand how professional he was.

Comment

Originally posted by psychobilly View Post
      Probably correct. Perhaps our welcoming committee didn't go the hard sell approach. Perhaps the other teams promised him things he knew they couldn't deliver? Bottom line is none of the others had a HOF QB pulling the strings and an owner with a long term commitment to winning championships.
      Good point. I am sure Peyton could slice through what was being said and what really mattered. And what mattered to him may have been the calm and assured feeling he got from talking to folks who really, really wanted him, but kept things cool enough to leave him with a feeling that he could trust them. No hard sell. Just good guys opening the door with warmth and open-mindedness, and offering what Peyton needed to feel "at home". I think that he wanted to know that the right guys were going to give him space and support. And I also think that his assessment of the roster was also explained to him with genuine knowledge (and again trust), rather than blown out of proportion hype, if you know what I mean. In that regard, guys like Elway and Fox likely made him feel the optimism based on some real objective discussion.

It definitely helped that our leader in the drive to sign Manning was a real football guy, who knew the situation better than anyone.

Comment

I’m no football guru to say the least but my take for which I have no proof whatsoever is that Mr. Manning came here for the reasons stated above plus the following.

Mr. Manning being the football genius of x and o’s as he is, was offered a chance to coach after the career ends as an OC and then head coach after Fox. He already leads the team defacto and moving to head coach would be quicker as who can deny his skills in strategy, or his obvious leadership qualities.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But a multimillion dollar home, pizza franchise and my belief that the game is in his blood makes me think this is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by bebop View Post
          I’m no football guru to say the least but my take for which I have no proof whatsoever is that Mr. Manning came here for the reasons stated above plus the following.

Mr. Manning being the football genius of x and o’s as he is, was offered a chance to coach after the career ends as an OC and then head coach after Fox. He already leads the team defacto and moving to head coach would be quicker as who can deny his skills in strategy, or his obvious leadership qualities.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But a multimillion dollar home, pizza franchise and my belief that the game is in his blood makes me think this is a possibility.
          Any team I follow, with Elway and Manning involved in some capacity, would be fine with me!

And welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by bebop View Post

That's a great thought, but I don't think that will happen.

Peyton gave an interview not too long ago and stated that his dad basically lived by "wherever you play, you live, and you go all in." He said that his dad had probably never thought about living anywhere other than Mississippi, but as soon as it became clear Archie was going to the NFL, all that changed and off to NO he went.

So in Peyton's world, if you play for Denver, you live in Denver. You get involved in the community, you donate to local causes, you support local businesses, etc...
            OFFICIAL Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon to SB XLVII Member #1888

Comment

I think Peyton Manning liked and believed in Elway, but there are also some simple factors:

-He didn't want to be in the NFC competing with his brother for a trip to the Super Bowl.

-He didn't want to be in his old division stomping the Colts twice per year (or working with an erratic owner).

-He wanted a team with a good mixture of quality veterans and promising youth.

I think he got all three of those in spades. He could turn any team into a winner. Furthermore, even if SF was the best of his options on paper, that doesn't mean he would have had more success with them. Convincing a hard-headed, stubborn coach like Harbaugh to change up his offensive system may have been a nightmare.

Comment

I think most of these posts have a lot of sense, but I feel the one common fact is Elway... JE knows what it takes to win it all, and you can be sure his proposals to PFM would show his willingness to provide what was needed, and how he was going to go about it... When you have an FO that includes a HOF QB who knows how it's done, and what it will take to get there, and an owner willing to provide, it's a done deal... JMO
                Bronco fan sine '61...

Comment

Don't overlook that Stokley and Todd Helton were in Denver and that he did much of his rehab in Denver and already had a rehab doctor in Denver who he trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Me&theOldMan View Post
                    I think most of these posts have a lot of sense, but I feel the one common fact is Elway... JE knows what it takes to win it all, and you can be sure his proposals to PFM would show his willingness to provide what was needed, and how he was going to go about it... When you have an FO that includes a HOF QB who knows how it's done, and what it will take to get there, and an owner willing to provide, it's a done deal... JMO
                    Well, it's not like Manning hasn't won it all before. I just think he wants more. He's never satisfied. That's the parallel. While Elway sort of waited forever and played the whipping post of the NFC for years, he eventually got there because just having a bunch of records wasn't enough for him.

Manning has the records, and a Super Bowl, but he still wants more. As long as he CAN, he WILL try to improve - try to win more.

Both guys want more and always believe there's room for improvement.

Comment

I think he chose the Broncos because he knew that the team has an owner dedicated to winning, an executive who had been given everything to win a Championship at the tail end of his career, and some pieces that he could work with.

The Niners may have been a more complete team but the Broncos are up and coming and that could have been something he was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                      X