Cool if I chill here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manning4life View Post

But I'm also smart enough to know this "fan" thing works two ways. As much as you're all certain we'll abandon the Broncos after Peyton leaves, I'm certain a lot of you will abandon Peyton as soon as he doesn't come through for you in a big game.

You're all "PFM!!!" for now, but the real test will come in the next few weeks.
    How does someone abandon the qb of the team they root for .

I don't understand what you mean by that.. Will i hate him for a couple hours if he plays like crap in a playoff game and the broncos lose ? Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I have a question for the so called "true fans"......say you have a favourite college player. When he's drafted by a team other than your team, do you follow his new team?
      I may follow but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of that team because my ties would be with the Broncos. I get happy when players from my favorite college team do well.

Example L. Johnson CB from Iowa State plays for the Bucs. I was happy when he got that pick 6 against the Chargers and glad he was doing well, but when the Bucs played us was happier DT was abusing him then I felt bad for Johnson being abused. My ties to the Broncos over ride those, but if the ties don't exist I hope they do well and cheer for them, but I wouldn't say I was a fan. Just my 2 cents.

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

I have a question for the so called "true fans"......say you have a favourite college player. When he's drafted by a team other than your team, do you follow his new team?
        I had a good friend who got a sniff of the NFL life as a QB for the Chiefs (gasp), I instantly had an interest in the Chiefs. But as a Bronco fan my interest was only in him making the roster(unfortunately didnt happen) and staying healthy.

I told him I would root for him, but part of me has no choice but to hate him....its in our blood as Bronco fans.

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
          I may follow but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of that team because my ties would be with the Broncos. I get happy when players from my favorite college team do well.

Example L. Johnson CB from Iowa State plays for the Bucs. I was happy when he got that pick 6 against the Chargers and glad he was doing well, but when the Bucs played us was happier DT was abusing him then I felt bad for Johnson being abused. My ties to the Broncos over ride those, but if the ties don't exist I hope they do well and cheer for them, but I wouldn't say I was a fan. Just my 2 cents.
          Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
          I had a good friend who got a sniff of the NFL life as a QB for the Chiefs (gasp), I instantly had an interest in the Chiefs. But as a Bronco fan my interest was only in him making the roster(unfortunately didnt happen) and staying healthy.

I told him I would root for him, but part of me has no choice but to hate him....its in our blood as Bronco fans.
          Fair enough.......but in the end, I wouldn't get all weird on someone if they started paying more notice to a team who just signed a fav (while still having a different favourite NFL team)......I don't see that as an issue at all. It happens.

Comment

Peyton Manning was my favorite college player as I was a UT fan, but when he went to Indy I did not follow Indy instead after Indy's success I kept hoping the Broncos would figure out how to beat Peyton. I am a Bronco fan first and foremost, If my favorite college player does not go to Denver, then he will no longer be my favorite player until the time comes that he comes to Denver (if that happens). With that said I am super stoked we got Manning, especially sense we could never beat him.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
              Ok now that I have read where the quote you used came from I understand the context, and that quote makes perfect since. For those that didn't know that quote was from the thread about not wanting to play Indy in the playoffs. And that is why the quote was placed because that is where you will run into problems when you are forced to make a choice between the Broncos and the Colts.

The reason is for most on here that have always been a Bronco fan and just that would look at that as the Colts being an "easier" target in the playoffs and not in the sense that that was my old favorite team. So if that situation arised and if you claim to be a Bronco fan than the choice should be quick and easy. Broncos win...

Fans for every team always start somewhere regardless if it is a player or that is where you grew up at. The way to solidfy it is what happens during a down year like the 4-12 season we had a couple of years ago. If the Broncos tank after Manning leaves and the Colts are super bowl contenders where will you be? Me I will still be here
              Understand, Peyton was the Colts. Colts have Andrew Luck now and that's all fine and good... Colts v Broncos would be awful--not because we wouldn't know who to root for, but because of how painful it would be if they beat the Broncos - not just for me, but for Manning, his brother, Colts fans, basically the entire league. No one wants to see that happen. I don't even think Andrew Luck wants it. So while some of you guys argue that it might be the most favorable match-up, I would rather it not even approach the possibility.

And I can empathize with what a lot of you guys are driving at, that you think there's no way Broncos are going to stay at that number one spot with us when Peyton retires and Luck is in his prime. For the next five years, Broncos are at number one. For that to change when Peyton leaves, I agree, would sort of be a cop out. The Broncos and the Colts are MY teams--though the Colts are in the negative at number 2 until Peyton retires. That's it.
              fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

Fair enough.......but in the end, I wouldn't get all weird on someone if they started paying more notice to a team who just signed a fav (while still having a different favourite NFL team)......I don't see that as an issue at all. It happens.
                Absolutely it does, there is not a thing wrong with feeling the way you feel about something. The more Bronco fans the merrier. Whatever brought you to this point is only one factor in making you a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                  You have a lot to learn about Bronco fans. We have never abandoned our star QB, John Elway can attest to this as he lost 3 Superbowls and one is still the biggest blowout in Superbowl history. We still believed in him, when the Broncos lost to Jacksonville in "96" in the first round of the playoffs at home, we still believed in Elway and it made the Superbowl XXXII win even that much sweeter. I can tell you from experience that we will still believe.
                  I hope so.

I think I've been ruined by the internet and all of the various forums. Unfortunately so many "fans" are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety these days, and they always seem to be the most vociferous.

That causes me to think that the majority of any team's fans are hateful, when in all actuality it's the minority.

Just saying that as a Peyton Manning fan, I'd hate to see all of this respect turn on a dime.

PS - Whether you all believe it or not, the Broncos are now my only team. I've always followed you over the years, and was always hoping you guys would smack down the infernal Chargers.

But you guys took a chance on 18, believed in him, and gave us all at least another year or two (hopefully longer) to enjoy him before the inevitable occurs.

For that alone, the Broncos will be my #1 team going forward for the next ever.
                  Last edited by Manning4life; 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM.
                  OFFICIAL Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon to SB XLVII Member #1888

Comment

Originally posted by Manning4life View Post
                    I hope so.

I think I've been ruined by the internet and all of the various forums. Unfortunately so many "fans" are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety these days, and they always seem to be the most vociferous.

That causes me to think that the majority of any team's fans are hateful, when in all actuality it's the minority.

Just saying that as a Peyton Manning fan, I'd hate to see all of this respect turn on a dime.
                    See now take that and apply that to new members that come with a player and that is where the largest problems arise. Because most player fans are great but the minority tend to be the loudest and that drives people bonkers (and yes I just really wanted to use that word ).

I really don't have a problem with how one defines the term fan. I posted mine a couple of post back, but that was just my view on a fan.

Adopted Broncos:
                    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                    Adopted posters:
                    Everyone

Comment

Manning, Saturday, Bullitt, Bracket, Clarke, Tamme, Addai...all the folks in the office and many other staff members....Folks who owned businesses in Indy and did community work outside of the NFL.

They were the Colts. The Dungy mindset of not show-boating, working hard, studying, and playing well.

I see Irsay in all his red-nosed, glittered-up glory and it makes me sick. He doesn't deserve to have a playoff team.

The other guys still there...they deserve it...but not Irsay.

I'm still pissed. I already had grown to love Denver, but now I'm in it all day long.

Go Broncos.

Originally posted by LoserSlick View Post
                      Understand, Peyton was the Colts. Colts have Andrew Luck now and that's all fine and good... Colts v Broncos would be awful--not because we wouldn't know who to root for, but because of how painful it would be if they beat the Broncos - not just for me, but for Manning, his brother, Colts fans, basically the entire league. No one wants to see that happen. I don't even think Andrew Luck wants it. So while some of you guys argue that it might be the most favorable match-up, I would rather it not even approach the possibility.

And I can empathize with what a lot of you guys are driving at, that you think there's no way Broncos are going to stay at that number one spot with us when Peyton retires and Luck is in his prime. For the next five years, Broncos are at number one. For that to change when Peyton leaves, I agree, would sort of be a cop out. The Broncos and the Colts are MY teams--though the Colts are in the negative at number 2 until Peyton retires. That's it.
                      Last edited by Fred the Bunny; 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM.
                      COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

I don't get the hatred for Tebow around here, it's made its way into so many threads on this board. Tebow won games here, and was young QB learning, some people's expectations around here are astronomical. I can understand the hatred for Orton, all we did was lose when he was QB, but Tebow had a better record than the previous two QBs he replaced.

It just doesn't make any sense to hear people say "we had to suffer through Tebow", what exactly did we suffer? We won games with a young QB, that's something that's hard to do. Of course he wasn't as refined as other QBs, and maybe it ultimately wasn't worth the time he was going to need to develop, especially with Manning available, but c'mon, its not like he lost every game he started, get off the guys back already.

I guess I'll end my rant, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                          I don't get the hatred for Tebow around here, it's made its way into so many threads on this board. Tebow won games here, and was young QB learning, some people's expectations around here are astronomical. I can understand the hatred for Orton, all we did was lose when he was QB, but Tebow had a better record than the previous two QBs he replaced.

It just doesn't make any sense to hear people say "we had to suffer through Tebow", what exactly did we suffer? We won games with a young QB, that's something that's hard to do. Of course he wasn't as refined as other QBs, and maybe it ultimately wasn't worth the time he was going to need to develop, especially with Manning available, but c'mon, its not like he lost every game he started, get off the guys back already.

I guess I'll end my rant, lol
                          I never said anything bad about Tim Tebow. I'm not one of "those" people. Personally, I think it's disgusting the way the Jets treated him. Yes, he's not the most conventional quarterback but he had great leadership and a heart of gold. And it's particularly nasty the way a lot of people feel a constant need to tear into the kid for having dared to win football games in the NFL. Shame on you guys. Like really does it make you feel smart or something - stating the obvious?? NEWSFLASH: we KNOW he wasn't a good quarterback! That's why watching him miraculously grinding out wins was so special and fun to watch. Stop the hate man and leave the poor kid alone. Season was basically over at that point and Elway did the right thing giving the kid a chance. And it paid off.

/rant

lol so this rant isn't really directed towards anybody - I don't think anyone was particularly malicious towards Tebow in this thread at least.

That said, this thread isn't about Tebow. Though he is kind of relevant, actually, thinking about it...
                          fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more re Tebow, LoserSlick, although I say that figuring I'll get flamed, lol.

One thing I'm noticing about this thread you started is that it contains a bunch of thoughtful, well-reasoned and polite posts. I'm enjoying that. I'm also noticing there appear to be a few women coming out of the woodwork to contribute. Sometimes I think us girls get lost in the testosterone.

And Can, to answer your question about college players, yep, the guys I follow in college, I continue to follow them in the pros. I like to see them do well. It makes me *interested* in their pro teams, and that doesn't affect my Broncos "fandom" one bit. Actually when I'm paying attention to what other teams are doing, it makes me a more knowledgeable fan.... more aware of what's happening outside of Dove Valley and Mile High.

Comment

Well my post was taken out of context

That response was to a thread regarding "colts vs broncos would suck".

I was implying most broncos fans just simply don't have ties to the colts. I wasn't saying you weren't welcome. The more broncos fans the merrier.
                              Denver Broncos GM
                              Originally posted by Mosk
                              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                                Well my post was taken out of context
                                lol Ok, that was not my intention at all - I know exactly what you meant. I just thought expanding on it a little bit was worth a whole other discussion in itself. It kind of was, wasn't it?

I lurked around these forums a while before joining in and you guys are good people - have yet to come across anything even remotely snarky.
                                fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

Working...
                                X