Retiring numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retiring numbers.

Any Broncos fan worth there salt knows that the only three numbers retired by the Broncos are 18, 44 and 7. Personaly I think Manning should have picked a different number but that is another show. I have been thinking for awhile that we need a set standered for retiring numbers in the future. For example the Red Sox have three rules to retire a number 1. Atleast ten years with the team, 2. finish there career with the Sox and 3. Be elected to the Hall of Fame. The only exception is Johnny Pesky's number 6, he was never elected to the Hall of Fame. If we were to have a set standered what would you choose? Personaly I think that using the same requirements the Sox use are a good starting point. By this bench mark for future players Sharpe would have his retired but Terrell Davis would not.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

You think that one of the greatest quarterbacks ever should have chosen a different number? I'm flabbergasted by that line. To each their own opinion, but that would have the equivelant of Elway being ask to wear a different number had he stayed in the NFL but not with the Broncos.

I had thought McCaffreys number should have been retired, but everyone has their favorite player. I'm guessing yours was Tebow.
      sigpic
      Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
      Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
      Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
      Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Personally I don't think the Broncos should retire any more numbers, at least not in the foreseeable future.

With training camp rosters now at 90 players, and regular season rosters may (should IMO) get expanded within the next couple years, there just isn't many numbers left.

If the team really wants to retire a number then there should be a time-limit how long it can be retired for, maybe 5-10 years, after that its fair game.
        Last edited by Broncos-R-Great; 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I think I would agree with Red Sox criteria. That would limit the #s able to be retired to a very limited set. 10 years + HoF is pretty hard to do.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
            You think that one of the greatest quarterbacks ever should have chosen a different number? I'm flabbergasted by that line. To each their own opinion, but that would have the equivelant of Elway being ask to wear a different number had he stayed in the NFL but not with the Broncos.

I had thought McCaffreys number should have been retired, but everyone has their favorite player. I'm guessing yours was Tebow.
            lol calm down.
            I could say the same thing about thinking 87 shouldve been retired.......
            sigpic

Comment

You would be wrong on your guess. My all time favorite is the Duke of Denver John Elway. I just have not the writing in my signature in well over a year.

Why are you "flabbergasted" that when a team retires a number it should stay retired. To me it takes away the honor of having the number retired. When Montana went to the Chiefs he switched to 19 because Kansas City had already retired 16 for Len Dawson. When the Bruins retired number 7 for Phill Esposito Ray Bourque, who was wearing number at the time, skated out to center ice took of his jersey (revealing one that read 77) and gave to Esposito. There are numerous other cases of Hall of Fame level players that switched team and did not keep their old number because it has been retired.

sigpic

Comment

I would retire Rod Smith #80.

Rod was an I drafted player out of college and look what he accomplished, and all with the Broncos.

If someone disagrees and doesn't think #80 is worth of retirement, Id love to know your reasoning.
                Denver Broncos
                New York Yankees
                New York Knicks
                Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                  You would be wrong on your guess. My all time favorite is the Duke of Denver John Elway. I just have not the writing in my signature in well over a year.

Why are you "flabbergasted" that when a team retires a number it should stay retired. To me it takes away the honor of having the number retired. When Montana went to the Chiefs he switched to 19 because Kansas City had already retired 16 for Len Dawson. When the Bruins retired number 7 for Phill Esposito Ray Bourque, who was wearing number at the time, skated out to center ice took of his jersey (revealing one that read 77) and gave to Esposito. There are numerous other cases of Hall of Fame level players that switched team and did not keep their old number because it has been retired.
                  exactly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                    if Jerry Rice had to change numbers than so can Manning. He could've gone back to #16 like he wore at Tennessee. No big deal.

If #7 was already taken on another team and that player liked their number, yes... Elway would have to change numbers. Montana changed numbers when he went to KC... It happens all the time with big name guys. It's no big deal. It's strange, yes...but it's no big deal.

Though he is my favorite all-time Denver receiver, we've had better receivers. Smith and Sharpe come to mind, even though Sharpe was a TE, he was still a huge influence in the passing game and the evolution of that position.

By the Sox' criteria, Sharpe gets #84 retired before McCaffrey or even Smith get #87 and #80 retired.

I think we should've retired Elam's number but that's just me. Oh and TD's as well.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I'm against retired numbers. Restrain the options of jersey numbers? It does not make any sense to me. Imagine what happens after you retire 10 numbers. Build statues for your Hall of Famers, or build a mini-Hall of Fame in your facility with the players' memorabilia. Let future players wear the numbers, what's the problem? Another #44 or #7 on the field would not erase what Little and Elway did for the Broncos. One day there might be a #30 RB in Denver with a better career than Davis, yet no one will forget Davis and what he meant to those Super Bowl teams.

I don't think the organization should care about another QB wearing #7. Let someone else wear #7 and hopefully the new guy will be better than Elway, and the next #7 will be even better than the last one. Let another WR wear #80 and hopefully he'll be another great one. Why limit the choice of future players? There can be greatness in every generation. History is in the past, and you can still respect and learn from it.

And talking specifically about Tripucka and Manning, it looks like they had a conversation and Tripucka asked Manning to wear his number. Tripucka would feel honored to see a QB of Manning's caliber wearing #18. There are no hurt feelings and no one forgot about Tripucka's importance to the organization just because Manning is #18.
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree that when a team has a lot of retired numbers like the Yankees and Celtics at some point you run out. That was why I was thinking of setting a specific criteria that would make sure that only the best of best have this honor. For example the Red Sox have only eight retired numbers (Doerr, Cronin, Pesky, Yastrzemski, Willaims, Rice, Fisk and Robinson, one of which was retired League wide, in over 100 years of existence.

sigpic

Comment

I think manning would've went with 16 but tripucka wanted him to wear 18. And when Manning is done playing It will get retired again.

Comment

I kinda agree with you on how a jersey should be retired. Played for the team most of his career and retired as a member of said team, went on to the HOF and/or won a Super Bowl.

In my opinion, I don't think Rod Smith, Eddy Mac, or even Terrell Davis should have their jerseys retired. They was special players but they aren't as special as Elway, Floyd Little, or Frank Tripucka.

I do however think Jason Elam, Shannon Sharpe, and Champ Bailey(if he finishes his career a Broncos) should have their jerseys retired. In I understand the there isn't a lot of numbers, but we can do without 1,24, and 84.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                              I'm against retired numbers. Restrain the options of jersey numbers? It does not make any sense to me. Imagine what happens after you retire 10 numbers. Build statues for your Hall of Famers, or build a mini-Hall of Fame in your facility with the players' memorabilia. Let future players wear the numbers, what's the problem? Another #44 or #7 on the field would not erase what Little and Elway did for the Broncos. One day there might be a #30 RB in Denver with a better career than Davis, yet no one will forget Davis and what he meant to those Super Bowl teams.

I don't think the organization should care about another QB wearing #7. Let someone else wear #7 and hopefully the new guy will be better than Elway, and the next #7 will be even better than the last one. Let another WR wear #80 and hopefully he'll be another great one. Why limit the choice of future players? There can be greatness in every generation. History is in the past, and you can still respect and learn from it.

And talking specifically about Tripucka and Manning, it looks like they had a conversation and Tripucka asked Manning to wear his number. Tripucka would feel honored to see a QB of Manning's caliber wearing #18. There are no hurt feelings and no one forgot about Tripucka's importance to the organization just because Manning is #18.
                              I'm glad there's somebody here I can agree with, retiring numbers is so unbelievably silly. Just look at some of the teams that have gotten out of control with it, and the numbers they've retired, definitely makes you scratch your head.

Its kind of a pointless argument though, training camp rosters getting expanded pretty much makes retiring anymore numbers unfeasible.

Comment

I dont like the Redsox criteria at all. It seems overly difficult to get a number retired especially in this league where players move around a lot more now than they used too. They have to make the hall of fame before they get their number retired?? I think that retired numbers should be important for the organization, such as TD or Rod Smith, guys that were important to their teams regardless of what the rest of the league thinks. I would totally agree with retiring Jason Elam's number as well but sadly none of these guys are going to make the hall..
                                If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong...

Comment

Working...
                                X