No announcement yet.

Retiring numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's fun to see video of the Red Miller days and say "Who is that #7 guy throwing such beautiful passes?"

Peyton asked Frank for permission to wear #18 and he said fine. It's all good.

So, just like #7 kind of covers two guys, #18 will, too.

As for #44, he's special.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
      I'm glad there's somebody here I can agree with, retiring numbers is so unbelievably silly. Just look at some of the teams that have gotten out of control with it, and the numbers they've retired, definitely makes you scratch your head.

Its kind of a pointless argument though, training camp rosters getting expanded pretty much makes retiring anymore numbers unfeasible.
      It's a controversial subject, but I don't see lack of respect if a number is not retired. The player is more than a number, there is a name and the plays he made, the titles he won. #7, for example, is one of the coolest numbers for a QB in my opinion. The Eagles will retire #20, one of the best numbers for a DB or even a RB. These numbers look nice in the uniform. Same thing with #80.

Maybe one day the team will spend a top draft pick on a player who'll be the cornerstone of the franchise and his college number won't be available. Personally, I like when a player carries the same number from college to the pro league. It's part of his identity.

That's how I see it. There are unlimited ways of honoring a special player. There is a limited amount of jersey numbers. Pay tribute to your players, but leave the numbers out of it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gsus17 View Post
        I dont like the Redsox criteria at all. It seems overly difficult to get a number retired especially in this league where players move around a lot more now than they used too. They have to make the hall of fame before they get their number retired?? I think that retired numbers should be important for the organization, such as TD or Rod Smith, guys that were important to their teams regardless of what the rest of the league thinks. I would totally agree with retiring Jason Elam's number as well but sadly none of these guys are going to make the hall..
        It's supposed to be hard to get a # retired. Your criteria seems to fit the Ring of Fame better to me. If they were to retire TD's Smith's and Elam's #s then they might as well retire Gradishar, Atwater, Nalens, Jackson's #s as well. Pretty soon they would have to start wearing 3 digit jersyes to have enough to go around.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
          if Jerry Rice had to change numbers than so can Manning. He could've gone back to #16 like he wore at Tennessee. No big deal.

If #7 was already taken on another team and that player liked their number, yes... Elway would have to change numbers. Montana changed numbers when he went to KC... It happens all the time with big name guys. It's no big deal. It's strange, yes...but it's no big deal. .
          Jerry Rice didnt change numbers due to it being retired he changed due to respect for what Rod smith did. He then went to seattle and asked Steve Largent if it was ok to unretire his number and wear 80 there. Your logics a little flawed

Comment

I don't believe there needs to be a standard other than the player must make a significant - and by that I mean a uniquely special - contribution to the franchise. That makes it difficult to quantify, but it also makes it more of a rare and special honor. If you say something like the player has to be with the team for a certain number of years, make it to a certain number of Pro Bowls, lead the team in a certain statistic for his position, it opens things up to a lot of players having their jerseys retired. Then it loses it's meaning. I can see the argument for retiring #80 for Rod or #84 for Shannon, but where do you stop? How about #53, #57, #24 (eventually), #1, #66, #77, #73....

See what I mean? And I don't have a problem with Manning wearing #18. Tripucka gave him permission to wear it. And Manning is a special player. He deserves it.
            sigpic

Comment

Man, I love Bronco fans!!

So we went out to an early dinner tonight and a few tables from us was a family of 5 adults and 2 infants. They were all wearing Broncos stuff, nothing that particularly stood out except the youngest guy had blue & orange streaks in his blonde hair. What was cute were the twin babies - the boy was wearing a Manning Jersey & the girl was wearing a Manning dress.

As we were walking out, I had to make a comment about the babies because they were so darn cute. They told me the grandmother (who was not there with them) made the outfits for the twins. There were 4 generations of Bronco fans there at one table.

For some reason, it just made me happy

Bronco fans are just the freakin' best!

Comment

Awesome!!!

Love to see the Orange and Blue gene being passed down from generation to generation!!!

I have a picture somewhere of my dad, me and my daughters all decked out in our Broncos gear!

Comment

Lets not even bring up the crazy fans that wear Broncos gear at work...then take pictures of it and post on the internet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                    Lets not even bring up the crazy fans that wear Broncos gear at work...then take pictures of it and post on the internet.
                    You're talking about 100% again, aren't you?

smh

He's one crazy dude.

Comment

That's awesome! My son definitely carries the gene. On Sundays he wears a Bronco onesie that his youngest aunt had as a baby. It's all about building a tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                        You're talking about 100% again, aren't you?

smh

He's one crazy dude.
                        Wait what did I miss?

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                          Wait what did I miss?
                          Some things cannot be revealed publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                            Some things cannot be revealed publicly.
                            So I'm guessing if I asked he wouldn't be willing to reveal whatever debauchery that is being referred to?

Comment

Hey guys, greetings from icy Scotland again. I've been away for ages, haven't posted on the forum for an eternity! On the subject of Broncos fans and Broncos gear - just returned from a long weekend in New York City. Lots of good sports stores around Times Square - managed to stock up on Broncos 'New Era' warm winter bobble hats, some Manning 18 T Shirts, and a whole load of other stuff. The Nike store was good, as was Champs Sports.....

Wore my Broncos gear with pride in NYC - got talking to a couple of other Broncos fans who were wearing Broncos baseball caps, and I also spent four days watching Jets fans wandering around with a glazed expression mouthing 'Sanchez? Tebow? Sanchez? Tebow? Sanchez? Tebow?.... looking suicidal.

Merry Christmas when it comes to you all!
                              Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

We are definitely an awesome bunch! No matter where I go, I wear my fandom on my sleeve. And here in NJ, I run into fellow Bronco fans in such random places. There is a diner I go to in the town of Bridgewater, NJ and every weekend I see one other fellow Bronco Country resident and his family. I guess because we're so far away from CO, it's almost like fraternity. A very Orange and Blue fraternity!!!! That's why I never take any drop down, mud-slinging arguments here personal. Because come Sunday, it's all forgotten and we bleed, cheer, and mope together!!!!! to the bestest and classiest fan base in all sports!!
                                #swapping

Comment

Working...
                                X