Prevent Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent Defense

I have a question about this as I don't think I understand it. I know that the purpose is to try and prevent the long pass and is used in obvious passing plays. But I am not sure why teams seem to go in this mode when they have the lead. What is the thinking behind this? It seems to me that when we do this or when I watched the 49ers last night, that it usually allows others to score.

Was Denver using the prevent defense when the Ravens scored those 2 TDs at the end of the game? Was the 49ers using it when Brady came back and scored 28? I don't know about defenses enough, I just know that when we get the lead we don't keep the pedal to the metal. It seems like we let our foot off the gas and let others score. What am I missing?
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

I hate the whole prevent defense, thing ... more often than not it ends up allowing other team to get back in the game to an extent. I've always hated teams like packers and patriots who run up the score on teams, but im starting to think its actually the best option - Taking your foot off the gas, imo is not the right thing to do. Play the whole 60 minutes.

Comment

Bend don't break.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
        Bend don't break.
        But why bend and don't break? What's the thinking behind that? Do you ever really see that work? From my perspective, it mostly lets others back in the game and score. But others on this board have much more football knowledge than I do.

Comment

First of all, teams that go into prevent usually do so with a tremendous lead in the 4th quarter. Those teams virtually never lose said lead. The main idea is to keep the ball in front of the defense, in bounds, and therefore the clock running.

Last night was a bad example of the 49ers jumping into a zone shell FAR too early. Combined with the injury to Justin Smith, and the Patriots almost pulled off a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
            Bend don't break.
            but it doesn't make any sense. We are handing points to the other team but it's okay because we'll win? Why not "No bend, no break"? The last time I saw the "bend" concept look like an intelligent move, Larry Coyer was our coordinator.

Comment

OP you're right it is a stupid idea to go into prevent.

Like us vs the Ravens. Oh we're dominating you all game on D? Lets switch to prevent and give them a few charity TD's in garbage time.

I hate that. Put some of the younger guys in and keep the foot on the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
                OP you're right it is a stupid idea to go into prevent.

Like us vs the Ravens. Oh we're dominating you all game on D? Lets switch to prevent and give them a few charity TD's in garbage time.

I hate that. Put some of the younger guys in and keep the foot on the gas.
                They hit that one long TD just because of extremely poor tackling. 3 or 4 guys should've tackled Pitta but nobody decided to do it. That should've been an 8-10 yard gain max.

Comment

It's not stupid. With a lead in the 4th quarter, clock management is very important. Like we did yesterday where we ran the ball like 10 out of 11 times. Same for the : Do not allow the quick TD via a long pass and don't let them get out of bounds. Often times in these situations it makes more sense to allow small to intermediate completions because the clock keeps running. If you come from behind and play hurry-up, the loss of down is usually not the worst scenario.
                  "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Comment

It is a decision.

What is the risk that while playing a non-prevent defense that someone will give up the big one play score? The big one play score, or maybe 2-3 play score, is what the prevent is all about.

If your defense is really good and does not make mistakes then maybe you play a normal defense.

If you think the risk your defense will give up a quick score is too great then you use a prevent defense.

I personally hate the prevent and would try to never use it but I am also not sure as a DC if I would have the confidence in my players to not make mistakes when none of them have been in my scheme a full year.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I hate seeing teams slip into this defense well before they should. Look at last night. The 9er's were kicking their asses up and down the field, winning every single individual battle, and then they slip into soft zone, pull their corners back, and Brady starts eating them up.

Says a lot about San Fran going in there and winning despite the comeback mounted by the Pats. That was an epic turn around, I'd say they have to be NFC favorites right now...

Comment

A win is a win......Awesome Job Denver!

Comment

Originally posted by -NiV- View Post
                          I hate seeing teams slip into this defense well before they should. Look at last night. The 9er's were kicking their asses up and down the field, winning every single individual battle, and then they slip into soft zone, pull their corners back, and Brady starts eating them up.

Says a lot about San Fran going in there and winning despite the comeback mounted by the Pats. That was an epic turn around, I'd say they have to be NFC favorites right now...
                          I like Green Bay to come out of the NFC.. they're playing their best at the right time.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful answers. Helps me understand better. Have a great week. and go Broncos.

Comment

The only thing the Prevent defense does is Prevent you from winning!

It's awful. I can see using it in the last minute or two with a lead, but it's way too easy for a good QB to pick it apart and march up the field. Stupid "old school" logic. Just like running the ball 1.4 yards everytime straight into a stacked box, just to eat up clock.

X

Comment

Working...
                              X