One frustration as a Bronco fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One frustration as a Bronco fan

Even though we are sitting pretty with the number two seed at the moment and it would take an apocalyptic disaster for us to lose it considering who we play in the final two rounds, there is one thing that is frustrating me at the moment.

That frustration is our garbage time play. During our winning streak we have usually had the game in the bag by the late in the third quarter and the fourth quarter is just a hand off to the RB. I'd like to see us run the score up every once in a while and show how good we really are.

Is this a Fox or a Manning thing? I remember in the 98 season with Elway and Shanahan, we would blow teams out and keep the foot on the pedal. I think we put 55 on the Cowboys that year. Even with Brister running the show, we were able to blow teams out.

I know it's too late in the season, but maybe in the playoffs we can send a warning to a Patriots like team that we are most certainly the real deal.
    www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Well given that a lot of the 4th quarters over the last several years were also garbage time for the Broncos (only we were on the other side of the blowout) I think this is a good problem to have. I know it be fun to see us put up 55+ points week in and week out, but we are winning games and are coming together at the right time of the year!
    sigpic

Comment

Not running up the score may possibly be an issue with those who are gambling, playing fantasy football or who just aren't tuned in to the concept of good sportsmanship.

Personally, when the Broncos ended the Raiders game inside the +10 with three victory formations in a row, I was proud of them. That was super classy. John Fox had a big, warm hug for Dennis Allen afterward.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Not running up the score may possibly be an issue with those who are gambling, playing fantasy football or who just aren't tuned in to the concept of good sportsmanship.

Personally, when the Broncos ended the Raiders game inside the +10 with three victory formations in a row, I was proud of them. That was super classy. John Fox had a big, warm hug for Dennis Allen afterward.
        I do admit to playing fantasy football and have a few Broncos in my teams so there is that angle.

I think it all comes down to how the NFL scoring system works. Head to head holds more weight than points scored and conceded. Change that around and teams won't play out the clock nearly as much.

I want to see the Broncos in full flight for the entire game. There, I said it!
        www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Comment

Nobody cares. Just let the W's do the talking.

Comment

Win in December and peak in January. That's when we'll know for sure which teams peaked too soon.
            Last edited by samparnell; 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The way we are winning games is no worse than winning by 30. It's not like we are barely hanging on every week.
              sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

It has to do with Fox being so conservative, if we got a solid lead, you run out the clock, that's how it works in his world. As long as they don't let up to early we'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainStateBronco View Post
                  It has to do with Fox being so conservative, if we got a solid lead, you run out the clock, that's how it works in his world. As long as they don't let up to early we'll be fine.
                  I get that and there seems to be an etiquette about the way he does it. I guess it's just the selfish fan in me wanting to see a talented team light it up for the full sixty minutes because we know the Broncos are certainly not unleashing everything in their arsenal at the moment.
                  www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Comment

55? I think youre mistaken.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_De...Regular_season

These numbers are quite similar to this years wins.......
                    sigpic

Comment

I stand corrected. Must be the rose coloured glasses considering it was 14 years ago.

Being Australian and a Rugby League fan, playoff positions are decided on points scored and conceded if you are level on the number of wins and losses. The NFL is the opposite as head to head is counted before points scored and conceded (we call it for and against).

I am more with the Belichick's and Carroll's of this world. The other team should have to stop you every game as opposed to running out the clock.
                      www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Comment

your only frustration should be praters kicking and the fact we lost to Houston at home

Comment

To me I don't care either way.

The late TD's by SD, TB and Baltimore meant nothing, they were getting blown out. We probably let our foot off the pedal a bit and play more conservative, but sometimes thats needed. We ran the clock out well in Baltimore at the end.

TBH I never understand NFL fans hating 'running up the score', maybe its an American thing. In English football you go for 90 mins whether that means winning 5,6,7 - 0 and no one bats an eye. Its the same in Rugby, Cricket, etc.........

If Seattle want to try a fake punt to see how it works then why not, if the Ravens want to try a deep shot against Oakland at the game then why not. If NE want to pulverize a team then its fine.

If a team were 40-0 up against Denver and kept going hard I would have ZERO ill feeling against them. I would just be mad (for lack of a better word) at the D.

I have always agreed with the saying 'If you don't like it, STOP it'

Comment

I sometimes wonder if Fox slows down and leaves points on the field because he doesn't want to intimidate other teams, not let out any more than he has to... I can't make any sense out of it, but it keeps rattling around my old empty head...
                            Bronco fan sine '61...

Comment

I think they are being ultra conservative in garbage time to essentially give guys rest. And this is a Peyton Manning led team MO to be honest, if you look at the Colts in most of the years where they clinched before the end, they would let off the gas ultra early in games that they got ahead. Fox maybe is taking a page out of the Tony Dungy playbook.
                              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X