One frustration as a Bronco fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Not running up the score may possibly be an issue with those who are gambling, playing fantasy football or who just aren't tuned in to the concept of good sportsmanship.

Personally, when the Broncos ended the Raiders game inside the +10 with three victory formations in a row, I was proud of them. That was super classy. John Fox had a big, warm hug for Dennis Allen afterward.
    Thank you for acknowledging that! It's not said enough how much respect this team shows to the game of football. I'm proud of this team and the attitude John Fox has installed. Orange and Blue has been in my veins since the day I saw light, 25+ years strong and haven't felt this good about the Broncos since the glory days.

Comment

Personally I have no problem with Fox being conservative when we have a big lead. He is very good at pounding the rock on the ground and eating up lots of clock. In the end, the score may be 31-17 instead of 31-3 which isn't a huge deal to me as long as we win. The one thing that kind of annoys me however was how we would run the ball on like 3rd and 10. This happened back to back drives. I understand not keeping your foot on the pedal and trying to run up the score, but are you seriously not even going to try to keep drives going and get first downs? The Pats get blasted for running up the score because they play at the end of the game like it's the first quarter (throwing the ball everywhere, hurry up offense, etc). Are you really that scared to throw one pass in garbage time? There is a difference between being a good sport and not even trying to play football.
      The Magic Is Back! IN ELWAY WE TRUST!

Comment

While you can let up against most teams, I don't think it's something you could afford to do against the Patriots especially if the Broncos meet them in the playoffs.

Comment

I don't fault teams who do the keep the foot on the pedal thing, and personally that gets my vote because if you're preaching 60 minutes of football and play your best for 60 minutes there's no problem with that... But also if fox is working on things like running a drive that takes 10 minutes off the clock I'm pretty happy with that too. The goal is to win the games last I heard. Sometimes I find it annoying like kneeling down while in easy field goal/touchdown range because I don't think that teaches the message of playing for 60 minutes, but it's hard to argue with 9 wins in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernIrishman View Post
            I don't fault teams who do the keep the foot on the pedal thing, and personally that gets my vote because if you're preaching 60 minutes of football and play your best for 60 minutes there's no problem with that... But also if fox is working on things like running a drive that takes 10 minutes off the clock I'm pretty happy with that too. The goal is to win the games last I heard. Sometimes I find it annoying like kneeling down while in easy field goal/touchdown range because I don't think that teaches the message of playing for 60 minutes, but it's hard to argue with 9 wins in a row.
            But they did play for 60 minutes. Taking a knee is a play in the playbook same as a shotgun go route. The best and safest play with an insurmountable lead and very little time left is taking a knee. No risk of a stupid turnover; no risk of an injury; 100% risk of winning.

The last part there was the most important.

The game is 60 minutes, but sometimes a team wins in 45. No sense in risking unnecessary injury, or stopping the clock a bunch and giving the other team a shot. The average career for an NFL player is shorter than almost any other professional sport. I'd like to know who thought comparing it to cricket or soccer was sensible...

If a team wants to keep playing super hard despite being up by 28 in the 4th, that's their choice. Conversely, if a team wants to chew through the clock and end a game when up by 28 in the 4th, that is also their choice. If both are getting wins, the numbers on the scoreboard and stat sheets don't really matter.

Coaches preach "60 minutes" because that's the mindset you want players to have. They need to feel as though they have to fight for 60 minutes. Just because they did a good enough job to win in 40 doesn't make them flawed, weak, or any less respected around the league.
            Last edited by Doogansquest; 12-18-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

The last three Bronco games were decided by the 4th Quarter and all ended with the victory formation.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It's called sportsmanship. Running up the score only gets the opponent motivated to get some payback in the future. I think we all remember the drubbing the Raiders gave us and the bitter taste that left us with.

Comment

Last 4th qtr included a 10 min drive by the Broncos...that is exactly how you win in today's NFL with Powerful offenses...keep them off the field in the 4th qtr.

Have we been perfect? By no means no one is the NFL is without flaws in their game right now.

I want playoff wins and realistic chances at Super Bowl in but as far as the reg season has gone I am not sure if we can realistically expect more considering everything.

You can ask allot of people who been around for a while...I am not an orange colored glasses kind of poster...I will jump all over the Broncos if I feel they are messing up.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

John Fox seems to be a very classy guy, and I'm loving having him for a coach. I see some similarities to Dungy, whom I will always hold in the highest regard. You can win and still show good sportsmanship, and I'm proud to follow a team which holds to this truth. It seems the sportsmanship aspect is missing in so many sports nowadays. I guess I'm an old poot, but I love the ideals we're playing with as a team.
                    Last edited by southern cross; 12-19-2012, 03:40 AM. Reason: post too long

Comment

i think anyone who has a problem with the end of games is a bit ridiculous

Balt was never even sniffing a win
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

Originally posted by Me&theOldMan View Post
                        I sometimes wonder if Fox slows down and leaves points on the field because he doesn't want to intimidate other teams, not let out any more than he has to... I can't make any sense out of it, but it keeps rattling around my old empty head...
                        I dont have no problem with Fox being conservative,but the three and outs and blown coverages needs to be fixed,because that's a recipe to allow a team to come back..
                        I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

I have always hated the prevent defense but the principle of it makes sense. You keep guys in front of you and keep the clock running. The 9 minute drive in the 4th quarter on Sunday was glorious to me. I didn't care if we scored points or not, all I wanted was the clock to keep going down and it was. I don't look at garbage time as important unless they let the team all the way back in the game which they haven't been doing. All the games we have won recently have been much farther apart than the score has said and I am okay knowing that and not seeing it on the scoreboard.
                          sigpic

Comment

the only frustration i have is the TO's we keep having at least 1 in every single game until last week... hopefully we can cure that...

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Not running up the score may possibly be an issue with those who are gambling, playing fantasy football or who just aren't tuned in to the concept of good sportsmanship.

Personally, when the Broncos ended the Raiders game inside the +10 with three victory formations in a row, I was proud of them. That was super classy. John Fox had a big, warm hug for Dennis Allen afterward.
                              No, it's an issue for anyone who believes a 95% chance of winning is better than a 90% chance. If you're 100% going to win then fine start kneeling. Until then ensure that at the end of 60 minutes you have more points than they do. And the best way to do this is not to start playing soft zone and going 3 and out the last 15 minutes of the game.

That said one positive aspect of the foxball is that the team seems to be improving at picking up hard yardage on the ground, which was a definite weakness.

Comment

First off the reason that we aren't blowing out teams like back in the day is cause the parity in the league is evident. There are still the haves and have nots, but the gap is narrow and the less talented teams cause surprise teams. Second we just aren't as good a team as we were in 98. We really struggle in the red zone and we don't have that dominate running game to carry us home like we did back in the day. But I think the consensus is that is a win is a win, and that while we are not blowing teams out by as much as the talent difference should dictate. We are winning in convincing fashion. It is the same that happened to us. Atlanta, Houston and NE all dominated their games against us, yet we rallied late in garbage time to make a game of it. So sometimes while the score might look close the game was never competitive.
                                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X