Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JrtheFreak
    replied
    The run, run, run and punt play style against the Pats in the playoffs isn't going to work out well. They better have a 40pnt lead in the 3rd if they want to do that.

Why they don't play the same aggressive style through the entire game is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• legend
    replied
    I find it interesting Americans think differently to people from other parts of the world. I love it when a team puts up 50 in the NFL. They take it seriously for the whole 60 minutes. If it's against my team, then it's up to us to stop them. It should serve as a bitter reminder if a team gives us a hiding so we don't let it happen again.

In our 4-12 season, teams were beating us hard and didn't give up so why should we take our foot off the pedal? Make points differential a higher value than head to head then you'll see teams more often than not run up the score.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by jbrewer View Post
    Being to conservative against teams like NE will be a disaster. 60 mins of football should be played hard. These are professional football players. Comebacks happen all the time.
    I wouldn't worry about that. Odds are the Broncos won't have a 28 point lead against the Patriots and therefore won't be able to play conservative.

Leave a comment:

• mb3playa
    replied
    Oh yeah let's try fake punts up 30 like Seattle and punt the ball with our QB like the Pats...That will show everyone how good we are

*sarcasm off*

Are you serious with this nonsense? Are we so desperate to complain that we resort to this? First, the 49ers did not "take their foot off the gas." They are a run oriented offense and they were just doing what they do best. Pats were able to come back largely due to Justin Smith getting hurt.

Second, Denver was still throwing the ball late in the game against the Ravens! We were running the ball most of the time because IT WAS WORKING! Even if we did put up 50 against the Ravens what would have been the point?

This is not college football and point differentials do not matter. Wouldn't you rather Peyton and company have a few tricks left up their sleeves for the playoffs?

Leave a comment:

• bronx_2003
    replied
    Originally posted by muse View Post
    I disagree with that - for one, "running up the score" doesn't apply in cricket

In rugby, there are things that simply aren't done - if your team has a comfortable lead and, in the relevant leagues, have a four-try bonus point, you rarely see teams actively attempting to pile on points: that is, if that team gets a penalty in the 22, they're not going to go for the try; rarely will you see aggressive tactics such as cross-field kicks, extensive set piece moves etc. You'll also see substitution of the better players which, ultimately, benefits both teams.

Running up the score isn't such a problem, it's the manner in which it's done. If the losing team can't stop repeated runs up the middle then, well, that's their own fault. However, using deliberately aggressive tactics (such as a fake punt on 4th down/going for it on 4th down) is, to me, uncool.
    I don't follow Rugby much but on the Sky Sports scores I have seen some big lop-sided scores, especially in the NRL.

In Football teams run up the score every week. What about Man U winning 8-2 at home to Arsenal a year ago. They kept their best players on and their was no talk of stopping at 5-2.

You obviously do not understand the cricket sense of running up the score. I have seen teams get to a 350-400 lead with plenty of time in the match yet carry on batting and keeping the other team in the field until they are bowled out. Even setting teams over 500-550. Even though in history only 1-2 teams have chased over 400 to win.

Both teams are there to play the game until the final whistle. If a team wants to slow down then fine, if they don't then they don't have too.

Frankly if a team slowed down on us because we were too pathetic to stop them I would find that much more embarrassing.

Also, SF had a 28 point 2nd half lead on Monday and almost lost. THATS why you don't slow down

Leave a comment:

• fairweatherh8r
    replied
    Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Seriously Broncos fans, quit wringing your damn hands and realize that you're watching something special happen here. 9 game winning streaks don't grow on trees in the NFL.

You don't have to win every game 56-0 and make a "statement" every single week. The only statement the Broncos need to make is that W and the only statement the fans need to make being in lockstep right behind them.

You'd think we're losing games or something with these kinds of attitudes. We're REALLY worrying about letting a team score an extra TD at the end of a game or not scoring three more points? Did we all just lose our minds and forget that the Broncos have NEVER won in Baltimore, and then won by 13? That's a freaking Disney movie waiting to happen, and Broncos fans here in the city and elsewhere get completely indignant and start spouting nonsense about how we don't have "killer instinct"?

What happened to "all he does is win"? What happened to "by any means necessary"? Now all of a sudden its changed in one year to the spinless bully head coach from the Mighty Ducks? No point in winning if you can't win big?

Fine by me. Sit on your hands. Worry week in and week out about how we might lose down the road because we "let off" on a team. As for me? I'm seeing with my own two eyes one of the greatest seasons in Broncos history. I'm seeing a great team go on an unprecedented tear through the NFL only two seasons removed from the #2 pick in the draft.

And I'm loving every last second of it.

/rant
    This^^^ 100 times over!

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    Ahh we will be fine

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Seriously Broncos fans, quit wringing your damn hands and realize that you're watching something special happen here. 9 game winning streaks don't grow on trees in the NFL.

You don't have to win every game 56-0 and make a "statement" every single week. The only statement the Broncos need to make is that W and the only statement the fans need to make being in lockstep right behind them.

You'd think we're losing games or something with these kinds of attitudes. We're REALLY worrying about letting a team score an extra TD at the end of a game or not scoring three more points? Did we all just lose our minds and forget that the Broncos have NEVER won in Baltimore, and then won by 13? That's a freaking Disney movie waiting to happen, and Broncos fans here in the city and elsewhere get completely indignant and start spouting nonsense about how we don't have "killer instinct"?

What happened to "all he does is win"? What happened to "by any means necessary"? Now all of a sudden its changed in one year to the spinless bully head coach from the Mighty Ducks? No point in winning if you can't win big?

Fine by me. Sit on your hands. Worry week in and week out about how we might lose down the road because we "let off" on a team. As for me? I'm seeing with my own two eyes one of the greatest seasons in Broncos history. I'm seeing a great team go on an unprecedented tear through the NFL only two seasons removed from the #2 pick in the draft.

And I'm loving every last second of it.

/rant

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    To this point, they've only shown the ability to do it at exactly the right time. What makes you think they will suddenly start doing it too early?
    Exactly. People are acting like we've lost games by letting teams come back. One thing often over looked is that when those teams score their garbage TDs we come back on the field and chew up even more of the clock, flip field position and make them work for another TD all over again.

What's the point of blitzing or playing press man late in a game where the outcome is already decided? Also, to the point of Brady's comeback against the Niners, the niners kept chunking the clock and letting NE blow their wad, came out and tacked on another score in what, two plays?

This team has no killer instinct? We THOROUGHLY dismantled a desperate Ravens team. We stood on their chest until the last breath was out. What is the point of playing the villain? We're already going to get everyone's best shot because we're a top team in the league, why run up the score and give teams even more motivation to beat us than they already have?

Leave a comment:

• Doogansquest
    replied
    Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    The problem with teams switching to a prevent-style defense or a chew-the-clock offense is that most coaches go to this way too early. Look what happened in the Sunday night game between the Patriots and the 49ers. San Francisco, with a seemingly-insurmountable 28 point lead in the third quarter, went to this conservative "preserve-the-lead" gameplan. They stopped using the man coverages their defense had been running in the first half and instead switched to a prevent-style soft zone scheme. The result? The Patriots score 28 unanswered points and tied the game! And the 49ers have he top defense in the NFL! Sure, San Francisco won, but the outcome was far more in doubt than it should have been.

Against really good teams, no lead is safe until it becomes mathematically impossible for the losing team to score enough with the time remaining. Prevent defense should be used for only one purpose (the purpose it was created for): to PREVENT the other team from scoring on one or two big plays. A prevent scheme WILL allow the offense to score eventually if they have enough time, because you're giving them free yards underneath the coverage on every play but the idea is that you use it when the offense doesn't have enough time to march down the field using 6 or 7 yard plays. Using Prevent in the 3rd quarter is ridiculously stupid, yet I see coaches do it all the time.

I have no problem with the Broncos running the ball late to keep the other offense off the field. I have no problem with taking knees in the redzone to end the game instead of trying for another touchdown. But I hope that this doesn't turn into allowing a comeback at some point because the Broncos take their foot off the gas too early. This team needs to show some killer instinct at some point if we expect a deep playoff run.
    To this point, they've only shown the ability to do it at exactly the right time. What makes you think they will suddenly start doing it too early?

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    Originally posted by jbrewer View Post
    Being to conservative against teams like NE will be a disaster. 60 mins of football should be played hard. These are professional football players. Comebacks happen all the time.

Name one game that the outcome was in doubt in the 4th quarter in the past 9 games.

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    lol we have almost the same scores as the 98 team.
    its fine people. calm down

Leave a comment:

• jbrewer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CoryWinget81
    replied
    It bugs me a little because I hate seeing other teams score on us, but by the end of the game I'm over it because we won (AGAIN) and we come out healthy.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrunk
    replied
    Originally posted by legend View Post
    I stand corrected. Must be the rose coloured glasses considering it was 14 years ago.

Being Australian and a Rugby League fan, playoff positions are decided on points scored and conceded if you are level on the number of wins and losses. The NFL is the opposite as head to head is counted before points scored and conceded (we call it for and against).

I am more with the Belichick's and Carroll's of this world. The other team should have to stop you every game as opposed to running out the clock.
    No. Get out of games without any major injuries and play on into the next week. This team has been dominant any way you choose to cut it.

Peyton and Fox have the same mindset. Play until you have a large lead and then lean on them with heavy doses of running and strong defense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X