Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Situation - Moreno Plays Solid And McGahee Healthy For AFC Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Situation - Moreno Plays Solid And McGahee Healthy For AFC Championship

When McGahee got injured, we collectively realized that our hopes for reaching our ultimate goal this year may have been dealt with a hard hit. From my perspective, Hillman needed more development, Ball is ordinary, and Moreno was the forgotten man. But as we all know now, Knowshon (yikes, "now" is a popular word!) has paid his dues, and is playing the best football of his career. And as a result, it is giving Hillman more time to learn the game, and though I still expect a little more "electricity" from him, he is after all the youngest player in the league.

So, this leads to possibly a slightly complicated gameplan scenario, if three things happen......we make it to the AFC Championship and McGahee is fit to play (as was forecast a while back), and Knowshon continues to play as he has of late. By the way, this would be a fantastic outcome, regardless of the decision that had to be made, as to who starts and who carries the load. Here's my take:

I would expect that you go with who's hottest, and that would be Moreno. I would sprinkle in some McGahee and Hillman, to give Moreno a rest and to shake things up against our opponents. At that point it would be clear if we have the right mix, especially if we win and move on to The Dance. For me, this wouldn't be a tough decision, if all things play out accordingly. In fact, it would be a great thing!

Sadly I think you do stay with Knowshon. Although I feel like its McGahee's spot for when he does return, there is one big red flag to remember.

The Fumbles.

Turnovers in any game are bad news. Turnovers in playoff games vs playoff opponents = almost certainly filling up trash bags of equipment the next day.

IF and that still had to be IF Moreno continue to play at a torrid pace, he has to stay as the feature back and you could use mcgahee as a 3rd down back.. my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      When McGahee got injured, we collectively realized that our hopes for reaching our ultimate goal this year may have been dealt with a hard hit. From my perspective, Hillman needed more development, Ball is ordinary, and Moreno was the forgotten man. But as we all know now, Knowshon (yikes, "now" is a popular word!) has paid his dues, and is playing the best football of his career. And as a result, it is giving Hillman more time to learn the game, and though I still expect a little more "electricity" from him, he is after all the youngest player in the league.

So, this leads to possibly a slightly complicated gameplan scenario, if three things happen......we make it to the AFC Championship and McGahee is fit to play (as was forecast a while back), and Knowshon continues to play as he has of late. By the way, this would be a fantastic outcome, regardless of the decision that had to be made, as to who starts and who carries the load. Here's my take:

I would expect that you go with who's hottest, and that would be Moreno. I would sprinkle in some McGahee and Hillman, to give Moreno a rest and to shake things up against our opponents. At that point it would be clear if we have the right mix, especially if we win and move on to The Dance. For me, this wouldn't be a tough decision, if all things play out accordingly. In fact, it would be a great thing!

I think Jacob Hester will come into calculations for playing time aswell.

Comment

It's a no brainer. You play the most talented RB, the RB that is best in every facet of the game, the RB that is averaging the 2nd most yards from scrimmage in the NFL to AP, the back that is playing at a pro bowl level, the back I have never ceased to support, you start Moreno.

Comment

yes, it would be an excellent option to have. i do think you go with the hot hand. i also feel you have to play WM. more then just sprinkling him in, unless KM is tearing it up of course.

i said this in another thread, but i really feel WM gets those tough yards. KM has been doing it and doing a fine job, but those goal line situations i see WM as a better option purely more of a physical runner. he is a gamer too.

the great option here is how it helps the pass game. a personal package might be with WM in a short yardage and PFM sees something he likes then it goes BOOM TD to DT.

i really really feel this creates some options for us as far as masking plays in certain situations. i don't think we get away from what got us here, but i do know this. no matter who is running, if the guys up front win the battle, we will win the game. blocking that big lug plug on NE is a task but maybe the mile high thin air will exhaust him and some others (no jinx!).

it will be interesting how this all plays out. i saw somewhere we are working on some plays to show off during the playoffs?

one question, why does it have to be the AFCG? i thought the time table was the first playoff game and now we need to take care of business to get a bye that would be an extra week, no? so WM would be active for the pats right?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalAvsFan View Post
            Sadly I think you do stay with Knowshon. Although I feel like its McGahee's spot for when he does return, there is one big red flag to remember.

The Fumbles.

Turnovers in any game are bad news. Turnovers in playoff games vs playoff opponents = almost certainly filling up trash bags of equipment the next day.

IF and that still had to be IF Moreno continue to play at a torrid pace, he has to stay as the feature back and you could use mcgahee as a 3rd down back.. my 2 cents
            wouldn't you want the more sure hands in on 3rd and 3 for the play action pass option?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalAvsFan View Post

The Fumbles.

McGahee has no value over Knowshon on 3rd downs. Moreno is a better blocker and receiver. He is better than McGahee at everything

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
                I think Jacob Hester will come into calculations for playing time aswell.
                Excellent point, and for some reason, I actually lost track of him. He's the blocker/short yardage guy we need, to support the others. Sorry I missed him.

Hey.....welcome to our neighbourhood!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                  It's a no brainer. You play the most talented RB, the RB that is best in every facet of the game, the RB that is averaging the 2nd most yards from scrimmage in the NFL to AP, the back that is playing at a pro bowl level, the back I have never ceased to support, you start Moreno.
                  I am not big on "no brainer" stuff, even if that's what my assessment may appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                    yes, it would be an excellent option to have. i do think you go with the hot hand. i also feel you have to play WM. more then just sprinkling him in, unless KM is tearing it up of course.

i said this in another thread, but i really feel WM gets those tough yards. KM has been doing it and doing a fine job, but those goal line situations i see WM as a better option purely more of a physical runner. he is a gamer too.

the great option here is how it helps the pass game. a personal package might be with WM in a short yardage and PFM sees something he likes then it goes BOOM TD to DT.

i really really feel this creates some options for us as far as masking plays in certain situations. i don't think we get away from what got us here, but i do know this. no matter who is running, if the guys up front win the battle, we will win the game. blocking that big lug plug on NE is a task but maybe the mile high thin air will exhaust him and some others (no jinx!).

it will be interesting how this all plays out. i saw somewhere we are working on some plays to show off during the playoffs?

one question, why does it have to be the AFCG? i thought the time table was the first playoff game and now we need to take care of business to get a bye that would be an extra week, no? so WM would be active for the pats right?
                    The thing is..moreno is tearing it up. Only AP has done better statistically the past month.

Also, facts do not support you claim of McGahee being beyee on the goal line. This year Moreno has 6 carries inside the 10, 3 TDs. McGahee? 1 TD in over twice as many carries.

Comment

Mcgahee plays again only when Knowshown is injured. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I am not big on "no brainer" stuff, even if that's what my assessment may appear to be.
                        You're not big on easy decisions?

Comment

Is it still a requirement to deactivate seven players from the 53-man roster during the playoffs? The Denver Broncos have impressive depth.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                            You're not big on easy decisions?
                            I'm not big on the overusage of "no brainer"......heard it far too many times, and too often it showed disregard to those who were in the discussion. Maybe not intentionally, but still.....if I had my way, it would be out of our vocab by 2013.

Not insinuating you were knocking anyone, but not a fan of the phrase.

Comment

I wouldn't give WM the ball on our side of the 50. Too risky and he is going to be rusty.

Comment

Working...
                              X