Defending against TE's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending against TE's

11-3 and 2 homes games to lock up a bye and a home game probably against the Patriots. Better than anyone could have expected but so we have a problem defending against TE's

Obviously the likes of Gronk and Hernandez will burn anyone but

Pitta 7 for 125 2TD
    Olsen 9 for 102 2TD
    Gresham 6 for 108
    Gonzalez 7 for 70 1TD

Or would we rather give up these figures and shut down the deep threats?

Valid point.

Areas of improvement to me is obviously covering tight ends and 3rd and 1 conversion. I have seen so many times we have had 3rd and 1 and couldnt convert. Cant do it with teams like Pats.

Comment

Pats are the one team I'm praying for a miracle we don't see.
      sigpic

Bronco fan for 31 years!!!!

Comment

Miller had a good game against us week 1 as well.

IMo the big stats alone like yards and TDs are disturbing but even harder to see stats like first downs is bothering.

I like how we contained Gates in the 2nd SD game by putting Harris on him.

It seems we do not realize as a team defense how bad we are against TEs tho because you would think by now JDR would have adjusted every game and not just against Gates.

We will lose a playoff game if we do not adjust as the playoffs with be full of talented TEs.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Yeah I remember reading the Panthers message board and on that drive they scored on they mentioned that was a common trait with John Fox not being able to cover TE, so hopefully that was just their personnel while he was there.

Adopted Broncos:
          (2011-2013) Eric Decker
          (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
          (2019-Current) Drew Lock
          Adopted posters:
          Everyone

Comment

While this is true, it seems like we haven't been able to cover TEs in forever. It didn't help to have Gates and Gonz in our division either, but we just were never a good TE defending team.

sigpic

Comment

A lot of it has to do with the mismatches we almost always use to cover tightends.

5'11 Mike Adams just isn't going to out big these 6'6 tight ends.

I am however interested in seeing how he would do against Hernandez.
              Denver Broncos GM
              Originally posted by Mosk
              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Pitta got half his yards and 1 of his TD's off of poor tackling by the defense. He basically turned a 10-yard drag route to a 67 yard TD. Not saying that Denver has issues covering the TE (every NFL team does), but Denver did a pretty decent job containing him until that play.
                We are going with Plan A

Comment

The only team that we really have trouble with is NE, but a lot of teams have trouble covering their tight ends. We will most likely have NE at our house and the crowd can neutralize Brady's fast paced attack which is where the tight ends are the main weapon. The "No Huddle" does not work so well on the road as the offense can not hear the adjustments. Adjustments are a major part of the "No Huddle". Tight ends are a major part of the "Fast Attack" as you want to keep all the plays up close and in front of you so you can get back to the line in a hurry. Our crowd will neutralize both the "No Huddle" and the "Fast Attack"; That will put us on even footing. Sense we will be at home, Peyton can use his "No Huddle" and a "Fast Attack" to give us the advantage.

I would not say that is such a weakness anymore as our defense is forcing 3 & outs on a regular basis. over the last 4 games we are probably tops in the league at not allowing third down conversions. If your were having trouble with Tight Ends, you would not be able to boast those third down conversion stats on defense. We still have two more games to hone our skills before the post season starts. Elway and the coaching staff on down know how important it is to dominate in the post season. I am not worried about our team going in to the playoffs.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twizlers View Post
                    While this is true, it seems like we haven't been able to cover TEs in forever. It didn't help to have Gates and Gonz in our division either, but we just were never a good TE defending team.
                    This was an issue last year but I do not remember EVERY TE EVERY GAME making plays against us week in and week out even in 2009.

Shoot even when Gates and Gonzo were in their prime and played us twice a year they did not tear us up like they tore up other teams. I remember we use to put Champ on Gonzo when he was in KC.

The issue we currently have has only showed up since Fox has been here imo
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Tight ends are a matchup problem for most defenses. They've gotten so fast that you can't expect a LB to cover them, and so big that it's hard to assign a safety or corner to shut them down all game.

I don't think our situation is unique. We're probably average when all is said and done.

You just have to mitigate the damage. IMO, if you can keep the football in the middle of the field and force the QB to look to a TE as his target, you're doing a pretty good job overall in coverage. The name of the game is tackling well and eliminating YAC. Also, rushing the passer well on 3rd down so as to prevent the dreaded 3rd and 11 skinny post or seam route.

Comment

Personally, in nickel, I'd prefer the Broncos go 4 CBs, 1 safety instead of 3 CBs, 2 safeties to cover the 2 TEs of the Pats. It should work.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                          Personally, in nickel, I'd prefer the Broncos go 4 CBs, 1 safety instead of 3 CBs, 2 safeties to cover the 2 TEs of the Pats. It should work.
                          Depends on the situation, those TEs are going to have no problem outmuscling our CBs for positioning, that might take away the threat of them going deep but it will open them up to be more posession type. Also you got to assume that our safeties are going to be better at bringing down the TEs after the catch.

Comment

Pitta - 61 Yards and TD late in the 4th.

Olsen - 39 Yards and 1 TD gave up middle of 4th.

Both games we already had 30+ points by the time they scored their 2nd TD (The ones listed here).
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
                              Pitta - 61 Yards and TD late in the 4th.

Olsen - 39 Yards and 1 TD gave up middle of 4th.

Both games we already had 30+ points by the time they scored their 2nd TD (The ones listed here).
                              Pitta had 92 yards and 2 TD's in the fourth quarter on 2 receptions.

Adopted Broncos:
                              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                              Adopted posters:
                              Everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X