Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoffs are all about matchups, coaching and then a few lucky bounces :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs are all about matchups, coaching and then a few lucky bounces :)

I am bringing a Colts fan perspective on Peyton and his playoff record.

Some Colts fans probably think SBs are handed out like candy in a store. Whether Peyton's playoff record is 9-10 or 12-7, it would all be the same for Colts fans if the SB record was 1-1.

Of course, fans are going to envious when Big Ben and Eli strike it rich the years they do make the playoffs and go 2-0 in their first 2 SBs. I do feel that from a fan point of view, they'd rather stink it up and draft lower than going one-and-done in the playoffs. I can't blame them completely based on the end result but then, you dont even have a puncher's chance if you dont make the playoffs on the other hand. Ultimately, fans need to realize that complete teams and good coaching make the difference in the playoffs where margins of victory are not huge, and then a few lucky bounces too (ask Eli about his luck when his team's 3 fumbles were all recovered by the Giants in the recent SB, Eli is the only one whose luck/pluck comes close to matching Brady's luck/tuck/pluck in the playoffs and Couglin's coaching somewhat evened out Belichick, IMO).

Plus matchups matter too - Steelers never had to go through Brady in any of their SB wins or appearances, Peyton never had to go through Chargers for any of his SB appearances (as a Colt when the Colts did not match up well vs Chargers, not the case with Broncos, IMO). Only Brady has gone through Big Ben, Peyton, and the Chargers all in the playoffs. That is a testament to coaching to quickly adapt game plans when plan A or even plan B does not work against a particular opponent. The Kryptonite matchup for Brady unfortunately has been the Giants. Matchups matter too, folks.

Make no mistake, the Broncos' most difficult matchup will not be the Falcons, Packers, Giants or Texans.

Two teams - Patriots and 49ers

The Patriots are a difficult matchup offensively. The 49ers are a difficult matchup defensively.

The Broncos' playoff fate will be determined by how they fare in those 2 matchups, IMO. If I am a Broncos fan, I'd prefer to have one less from those 2 matchups and hope for Falcons to make the SB if the Broncos get past the Pats.

Well, as a former Colts fan, I'm not sure I understand your statement of thinking that Super Bowls are handed out like candy in a candy store. I never felt that way at all. I don't think that I ever felt over confident about getting to the SB each year. I could see the writing on the wall, usually, and I knew that we would definitely struggle in the playoffs. The defense was always too shaky, and it seemed that once Edge was gone that the RB situation was never quite the same. (And I say that, though I always loved Addai and what he brought to the team.)

I have felt that some of the past Super Bowls were a little on the disappointing side, as far as what eventually played out. The two Pats/Giants games were definitely nail-biters, though. I'm thinking of the Steelers/Cardinals, for instance. It seemed that the Cardinals were getting to be a bit deflated by the time the SB rolled around, and that has seemed to be the case from my observations over the last several years. (I'm trying to say that one of the teams is not the same by the time of the SB.)

Actually, the Pats almost-unbeaten year was kind of a deflation by the time they reached the SB, and I felt that they were on the downhill slide. It seemed that they stumbled through a few of their games, and did not seem quite the juggernaut by SB time. I think the Colts experienced that as well in the SB game with the Saints. In spite of being the favorite going into the game, I thought the team was deflating at just the wrong time. (Freeney's injury, for example)

So that's how I see this year playing out. Will the playoff teams maintain composure and strength, or will they start to lose some air a bit? I think there is a team out there that is waiting for a chance to strike, and I'm not sure it's the Pats at all. Maybe someone is being overlooked, especially on the NFC side.

Just my :2cents:

Wanted to add one more thought...

From what I remember, the Chargers were very much of a Kryptonite for the Colts at playoff time. It seemed they always had their number. It was unbelievably frustrating to lose to them with Rivers' back-up in the game.
    Last edited by southern cross; 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by southern cross View Post
      Well, as a former Colts fan, I'm not sure I understand your statement of thinking that Super Bowls are handed out like candy in a candy store. I never felt that way at all.
      That is why I said "some". Some Colts fans felt a bit entitled to more SB wins by virtue of making the playoffs more often and felt they should have had more SBs. Maybe it is Pats envy, maybe it is blindness to the fact that come playoff time, not being a complete team and having top notch coaching gets exposed more, not sure but that was just me relaying some sentiments of some Colts fans.

But the main point here is that matchups matter a lot, and coaching matters a lot when it comes to the playoffs. How do Broncos fans feel about their matchups with teams like the Pats and 49ers? Just wanted to see what they thought of the Broncos team as they are constructed now.

Comment

From what I remember, the Chargers were very much of a Kryptonite for the Colts at playoff time. It seemed they always had their number. It was unbelievably frustrating to lose to them with Rivers' back-up in the game.
        URGH! Crappy Volek. Don't forget a one legged Rivers hopping around out there like a pogo stick. Or when they couldn't pick up a measly 2 yards to convert 3rd down and seal the game? What about blasted Scifres pinning Peyton at the 2 yard line every time he punted the darn ball??

Oh, the ulcers that team has caused me! LOL

I thank the Football Gods everyday that Peyton has landed on a team that has a more than competent D and a balanced offensive attack.

At least this time if the unthinkable happens, it will be because the better team that day actually won, and not because everyone else on the field sucked. LOL
        Last edited by Manning4life; 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM. Reason: Hoping to avoid another infraction. LOL
        OFFICIAL Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon to SB XLVII Member #1888

Comment

The 49'ers D is nasty. They're Imo, a little better better than the Pats. Good D line and LBs. Yeah they have a rookie QB and you don't know how he'll do in the playoffs. Especially vs our D which is also pretty. Would be a fun match up should we both make it that far.

With that Pats I feel like we're a more complete team than them. Yeah they're great on O and you gotta respect Belichick and Brady. I'm confident Peyton can put up points on Belichick's D and our D can get some stops.

Who knows though. Maybe the Pats don't seem as tough to me because I've seen them so much vs Peyton and I have more of a fear of the unknown with the 49'ers.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
            That is why I said "some". Some Colts fans felt a bit entitled to more SB wins by virtue of making the playoffs more often and felt they should have had more SBs. Maybe it is Pats envy, maybe it is blindness to the fact that come playoff time, not being a complete team and having top notch coaching gets exposed more, not sure but that was just me relaying some sentiments of some Colts fans.

But the main point here is that matchups matter a lot, and coaching matters a lot when it comes to the playoffs. How do Broncos fans feel about their matchups with teams like the Pats and 49ers? Just wanted to see what they thought of the Broncos team as they are constructed now.
            Okay, got it. I wasn't trying to say anything untoward. I just wanted to voice my opinion that I never felt that we were *owed* any SB championships. The thing that was entirely sad for me was that Peyton was carrying that team around on his shoulders so many years. I'm sure he felt like Atlas many a day!

As far as matchups, I do wonder the same thing. But what I was trying to say earlier was that it has seemed in the past that the matchups aren't always what they seem, due to some cracks in the armor come playoff time. I hope that makes sense. I think we match up rather well against the Pats, or any other team for that matter. I think we have a team which is almost playing on all cylinders at this point, and the great thing is that there is still a bit of horsepower left in the engine which hasn't even been used. That's the kind of thing I want to see come playoff time---not a team which can suddenly lose air due to overinflation (maxed out, over tired, peaking too early, and not having anything left when it is needed).
            Originally posted by Manning4life View Post
            URGH! ^%^$#@ Volek.

I thank the Football Gods everyday that Peyton has landed on a team that has a more than competent D and a balanced offensive attack.
            I agree! And that he landed on a team with a wonderful coaching staff and players who are willing to give their all each and every week. That, to me, is golden.

Comment

This is why I think Peyton will win the SB this year!

Comment

Well, as a former Colts fan, I'm not sure I understand your statement of thinking that Super Bowls are handed out like candy in a candy store. I never felt that way at all. I don't think that I ever felt over confident about getting to the SB each year. I could see the writing on the wall, usually, and I knew that we would definitely struggle in the playoffs. The defense was always too shaky, and it seemed that once Edge was gone that the RB situation was never quite the same. (And I say that, though I always loved Addai and what he brought to the team.)

I have felt that some of the past Super Bowls were a little on the disappointing side, as far as what eventually played out. The two Pats/Giants games were definitely nail-biters, though. I'm thinking of the Steelers/Cardinals, for instance. It seemed that the Cardinals were getting to be a bit deflated by the time the SB rolled around, and that has seemed to be the case from my observations over the last several years. (I'm trying to say that one of the teams is not the same by the time of the SB.)

Actually, the Pats almost-unbeaten year was kind of a deflation by the time they reached the SB, and I felt that they were on the downhill slide. It seemed that they stumbled through a few of their games, and did not seem quite the juggernaut by SB time. I think the Colts experienced that as well in the SB game with the Saints. In spite of being the favorite going into the game, I thought the team was deflating at just the wrong time. (Freeney's injury, for example)

So that's how I see this year playing out. Will the playoff teams maintain composure and strength, or will they start to lose some air a bit? I think there is a team out there that is waiting for a chance to strike, and I'm not sure it's the Pats at all. Maybe someone is being overlooked, especially on the NFC side.

Just my :2cents:

Wanted to add one more thought...

The Seahawks. They are just about every bit as good as the 49ers and could easily represent the NFC in the super bowl.
                sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

One last thought.....

Peyton's playoff record stands at 0-0 once he joined the Broncos. He has a chance to start all over again with a fresh slate, at least in my eyes. These are not the Colts he once played with, but a new group of determined young men with a definite goal in mind. Time will tell what happens next.

As for myself, I can't wait.

Comment

I really don't think these young QB's have enough in them to handle the pressure in the Playoffs. I mean if it happens good for them, but that is why I'm not sold on 49ers or the Seahawks representing NFC in the SB. Maybe I just don't watch enough football .

Comment

Originally posted by Preetv View Post
                      I really don't think these young QB's have enough in them to handle the pressure in the Playoffs. I mean if it happens good for them, but that is why I'm not sold on 49ers or the Seahawks representing NFC in the SB. Maybe I just don't watch enough football .
                      I would say I agree with you, but the problem with that is what Mark Sanchez did to us in the playoffs in the Wild Card round Jan. 2011. That was pretty tough to take.

Comment

In the regular season, teams are trying new formations, expanding the playbook, playing division rivals (and vying for position therein), rotating players, looking at the schedule in 4 week chunks, etc.

By the time the playoffs roll around, all of that fundamental work is done. It's just the most win-at-all-costs (or WAAC), cheesy ploy to do nothing other than exploit the weaknesses of a very particular opponent. That's when the flaws in a team are ultimately revealed. Even when present during the season, they got forgotten by the viewers as the weeks drag on.

The playoffs are a place where a team only gets one shot, so mistakes are amplified and unforgiving.

I guess I don't buy that it's about which QB is more clutch at a certain time of year. Coaching, and the quality of football played in all 3 phases determine the Super Bowl champion. Yes, there's a little luck involved too; but is not luck just where preparation meets opportunity?

Comment

This is why I think Peyton will win the SB this year!
                          Your love for Peyton is starting to make me love you

Comment

I would say I agree with you, but the problem with that is what Mark Sanchez did to us in the playoffs in the Wild Card round Jan. 2011. That was pretty tough to take.
                            Who? Who this Sanchez be?

Originally posted by ManningForLife View Post
                            Your love for Peyton is starting to make me love you
                            I can't help but love him..the sole reason I fell in love with football and the Colts. He's the reason I am the fan of the team and the game and I will root for him wherever he goes and whatever he does after football. I love him and what he stands for and his work ethic inspires me towards my education and reaching my goals. GOSH I could go on and on about it lol.

Comment

Who? Who this Sanchez be?

I can't help but love him..the sole reason I fell in love with football and the Colts. He's the reason I am the fan of the team and the game and I will root for him wherever he goes and whatever he does after football. I love him and what he stands for and his work ethic inspires me towards my education and reaching my goals. GOSH I could go on and on about it lol.
                              Its funny you say that, he is the reason i started watching football as well. NFL is my adapted game and Peyton plays a part.

Also, I am a bit into astrology, he and i are 5 days apart . I can understand a lot of behavioural patterns.

Yeah i may not make sense to many, i will shut up .

Comment

Working...
                              X