No announcement yet.

Is Knowshons return to form...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Moreno ran a 4.5 at the combines.
    Elway spoke very well of Moreno the last few weeks but he spoke well of Tebow when Denver was winning and then traded him ASAP. Of course that was different circumstances but something to think about.

Comment

It comes down to the price. If he wants a huge contract then maybe we should pass. When opponents play the broncos PFM is the main focus in the defensive game plan. Knowshon flies under the radar but is a nice fit with his blocking , hands and decent running. I still think Willis Mcgahee runs and hits the holes harder but with the injury and his age who knows what he will be like.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
        I'm always cautious when evaluating players in these situations because the reaction of fandom is to believe everything they see is sustainable and forget previous history, even though previous history gives us a much more telling story than these handful of games Moreno has filled in for McGahee.

IMO $5 million seems quite a bit for an often injured running back who lost his job for two years to a 30+-year-old has been, especially at that position where you can find good backs on the free agent market or late in the draft. If he can somehow play lights out in the playoffs and REALLY show something SPECIAL, then I might change my mind. But until then he's really just been a pleasant surprise on a team that's totally stacked right now.
        As far as I'm aware the number is 3.5 million next year.

http://mobile.spotrac.com/nfl/denver...owshon-moreno/
        "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post

Thx for that.

Based on the contract, do you know if he received all of it, or did he miss out on some of the bonus money?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            I'm always cautious when evaluating players in these situations because the reaction of fandom is to believe everything they see is sustainable and forget previous history, even though previous history gives us a much more telling story than these handful of games Moreno has filled in for McGahee.

IMO $5 million seems quite a bit for an often injured running back who lost his job for two years to a 30+-year-old has been, especially at that position where you can find good backs on the free agent market or late in the draft. If he can somehow play lights out in the playoffs and REALLY show something SPECIAL, then I might change my mind. But until then he's really just been a pleasant surprise on a team that's totally stacked right now.

When speaking of his history you should also look at the team he played with. Terrible Oline- they were just getting put together. This is their 3rd year together. Plus a terrible QB. You know as we all do that teams stacked the box with 8-9 guys all the time against us. Now that knowshon is not getting hit in the backfield as much, and has a real QB to play with- we can see exactly how good he really is. (some of us have seen this for a while)
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
              When speaking of his history you should also look at the team he played with. Terrible Oline- they were just getting put together. This is their 3rd year together. Plus a terrible QB. You know as we all do that teams stacked the box with 8-9 guys all the time against us. Now that knowshon is not getting hit in the backfield as much, and has a real QB to play with- we can see exactly how good he really is. (some of us have seen this for a while)
              He was also making poor decisions, however. He would take the hand off at a dead sprint and try to just run as fast as he could to the point of attack. The hole wouldn't be there yet, so he'd get bottled up for virtually no gain. His balance was also horrendous until midway through this season.

Patience and footwork are things he didn't have early on, regardless of the team around him. He wouldn't have been a quality back either way. Now he's playing pretty well, but I imagine Denver could get a suitable, or perhaps better replacement at any time. Good HB's are a dime a dozen now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post

The chart you linked doesn't even say that. His salary is 1.7 million, the cap hit is 3.5, however.

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                  How short our memories are. This same o-line produced the best running attack in the NFL last year. Unfortunately Moreno was not able to take advantage of it because he broke, again.

This year he has been showing more patience and he is holding on to the ball better. I think there is a place on this team for him but he has to stay healthy and keep improving.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                    How short our memories are. This same o-line produced the best running attack in the NFL last year. Unfortunately Moreno was not able to take advantage of it because he broke, again.

This year he has been showing more patience and he is holding on to the ball better. I think there is a place on this team for him but he has to stay healthy and keep improving.
                    He wasn't talking about this line, he was referring to the one of 2009.

For the record, Tebow produced the rushing attack last year, not the OL. Sure the OL helped, but Tebow was easily the main driving factor behind us being #1 in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                      He wasn't talking about this line, he was referring to the one of 2009.

For the record, Tebow produced the rushing attack last year, not the OL. Sure the OL helped, but Tebow was easily the main driving factor behind us being #1 in that category.
                      Actually even thought the line is slightly different Moreno had a decent year that year. He had almost a 1000 yards rushing in 2009 so it couldn't have been that bad of an o-line, at least on the rushing side. Not great but also not bad. They ended the year at 1836 rushing yards in 2009.

Tebow did account for 660 yards last year but the rest of the backs also contributed right at 2000 yards including almost 1200 for McGahee. We ended up at 2632 rushing yards.

This year McGahee was on track to duplicate last years rushing yards before getting hurt so it couldn't have all been Tebow. Mcgahhe was averaging 4.4 YPC, KM is averaging 3.9, and Hillman is averaging 3.9 YPC.

What is great about this is we also have PFM on our side and we are getting good production from the backs. Our backs have produced 1660 yards so far this year and should end up around 1800+/-.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

The statement that some player other than an offensive line produces an effective rushing attack is ignorant and not heard among those who understand what a run play is and how it is executed.

In 2011, all of Tebow's rushing TDs from the empty formation were Single Wing style plays with Beadles leading and sealing. Last time I checked, Zane Beadles was, in fact, a member of the Denver OL in 2011.

The run blocking of the Bronco OL is still great in 2012 and uses every block/blocking rule possible.
                        samparnell
                        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                        Last edited by samparnell; 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                        X