No announcement yet.

How Would we Cover Gronk AND Hernandez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would we Cover Gronk AND Hernandez?

Considering, of course, Denver and NE both make it to the AFC Championship Game. Everyone knows the weakness of the Broncos D is covering TE's, how will they cover both guys? Will Del Rio come up with a game plan that figures out a riddle he has never been able to solve?

I can see this as the difference in winning and losing the game.

If we get into a shoot out, I'd go with Bailey on Hernandez anytime he's split out, which he often is. I'd use Woodyard and/or a safety when he's in-line or in the backfield.

As for Gronkowski, we should hit him early and often at the line with a pass rusher just to initiate contact and throw off his timing, then go with a LB+S.

Edit: to add on, Id go with Harris on Welker and Porter/Bailey on Lloyd
    Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by Double_L View Post
      Considering, of course, Denver and NE both make it to the AFC Championship Game. Everyone knows the weakness of the Broncos D is covering TE's, how will they cover both guys? Will Del Rio come up with a game plan that figures out a riddle he has never been able to solve?

I can see this as the difference in winning and losing the game.
      Nobody can cover both of these guys. We need to disguise coverages.

In situations where we go man, I would try to go:
      4 man rush (Von, Doom, Wolfe, whoever)
      Champ on Hernandez
      Harris on Welker
      Carter on Lloyd
      Bracket Gronk with a LB (Woodyard/Trevathan) and a S (Adams/Leonhard)
      Other LB on the RB
      Moore roaming the field
      Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

I would play 90% man with my safeties at the line of scrimmage using there size and strength to beat up NE smaller wr, after they press them I'd have them dive of into assorted shorter zones and blitzes with my corners playing 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. Bailey on Hernandez and double gronkowski ALL DAY! they have zero wr that I respect to go deep. You have to out physical NE, you have to abuse their wrs all day and throw off there timing. You can't beat NE in zone defense, Brady will pick you apart easy, you have to beat them up and you have to hit Brady at ALL COSTS
        A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Put a exlax in a hershey candy wrapper and hope the spend the game on the toilet.
          sigpic

Comment

We need to hit their receivers like the 49ers did a few weeks ago....and we need to put alot of pressure on Brady.....
            I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

In an ideal world here's how I would handle coverage when the Patriots are going 2 TE, 2 WR, and 1 back. I would have us in the nickle with Champ on Welker, Carter on Lloyd, Harris on Hernandez, Woodyard and Adams doubling Gronk, Brooking on Ridley, and Moore deep. Then when Woodhead comes on I'd replace Brooking with Trevathan.

Comment

Make Brady play post snap with disguised blitzes and coverage. You have to make the focus on Brady, and confusing him post snap, and then get in his face with our pass rush. If we play them heads up and he knows where he wants to throw the ball before he gets it, we're boned anyway.

TE's pose matchup problems for everybody. And by everybody, I mean every position in coverage is going to have a bad time matching up against an athletic, pass catching TE.

If we can get to Brady, mentally and physically, the TE's wont matter.
                sigpic

Comment

First off, I don't really respect any receiver on that team on the deep ball that I think our CB's couldn't keep up n make a play or two to make Brady regret it so I'd play extremely aggressive and make Brady make tough throws...with that said you never play 100% one way, you gotta mix it up, but I'd constantly be right up in their faces jamming and playing aggressive and ONLY SENDING 4

with that said, matchup wise I'd likely go

Either
                  Champ on Hernandez
                  Harris on Welker
                  Carter on Lloyd
                  and double Gronk at all times

Leaving Moore to help whoever he/JDR sees fit on the back end

Or

Champ on Welker
                  Harris on Hernandez
                  Carter on Lloyd
                  DOUBLE GRONK

n leave Moore helping whoever

You always gotta throw in variations and do some different things but I'd mainly go this way and I'd prefer Champ on Welker, Harris on Hernandez now that I think about it because Welker has just given Harris fits while Champ shut him down when he had him in '09

But I would hit them right in the mouth (philosophically) and let them know we are not scared of you one bit, this ain't Dennis Allen n that garbage you saw last year this is a trio of CB's that can go against ANYONE and two pass rushers that will knock Brady down constantly

I'd also throw in some of what Mike Nolan did to Peyton @ ATL earlier this year and throw in some REALLY different/exotic coverages with EVERYONE moving before the snap and moving alot ...I thought that was absolutely brilliant D on Nolan's part last year

Stopping the run is not my specialty so I won't comment there
                  Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The key is pressure, If Denver can get some pressure on Brady it wont be as hard as it has been lately, we had four sacks last time we played, all of those came during the time we were making a comeback, and it was clearly frustrating Brady, if you knock him down he gets very flaky.
                    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                      I'd also throw in some of what Mike Nolan did to Peyton @ ATL earlier this year and throw in some REALLY different/exotic coverages with EVERYONE moving before the snap and moving alot ...I thought that was absolutely brilliant D on Nolan's part last year
                      You mean his amoeba defense that he used the last time we were able to beat the pats in '09?

Yes.

Like I was saying. Gotta make Brady think post snap, beyond just his route tree. Whatever it takes. Hopefully he has to think just long enough for Von and Elvis to smack him around a bit and get him thinking about them more than what's in front of him.

Personally, I like our chances
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd let Carter match up with Welker and put Bailey on Hernandez (when he's split out) and Harris on Lloyd. If Hernandez isn't split out, I'd actually like to see Von in coverage on him every now and then and throw him around at the LoS. Woodyard can also play coverage against him. Match athlete with athlete basically. DJ Williams/Woodyard on Gronkowski with surprise surprise David Bruton doubling him. Let Mike Adams match up with their RB. We have to play a lot of nickle. Big Vick, Unrein, and Wolfe have to man up against the run. DJ Williams should probably start at MLB to help against their TEs.

Also when those TEs are on the LoS, our DEs have to push them back and not let them get a clean release.

Comment

Probably depends if Porter is cleared...

I'd go..

Champ on Welker
                          Harris on Hernandez
                          Carter on Lloyd
                          Double Gronk with Wood, DJ, or Trevathan and a S the best possible.

Welker ate Harris for lunch, the last time they played.

But really, their run game was the reason they won last time. They had, what, 250+ rushing yards?

Gotta play physical at the LOS, and jam them, even if it means getting a penalty or two.

Comment

Jam them at the line and Hope you can put pressure on Brady.. fast.

Comment

Have Von hammer Brady REALLY hard on their opening drive? They can't catch passes that never get thrown to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X