How Would we Cover Gronk AND Hernandez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im more worried about Welker.
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Nickle Base Package

Champ on Lloyd
      Harris on Welker
      Carter on Hernandez
      Trevathan underneath/Adams overtop on Gronk
      Moore playing center field
      Woodyard playing the runningback
      And a DL of;
      Ayers - Wolfe - Unrein - Von

Now hear me out, Ayers has been playing damn good football recently and getting tons of pressures and is much better than Doom in run support. Meanwhile Doom has been hit or miss in pass rush. Unrein has also been playing great football and provides a lot of energy and pure strength to collapse the pocket.

The Patriots love to run the no huddle and this would keep our huge bodies off the field while maintaining good run support.

Harris on Welker would be a key matchup, but I think he can handle himself this time around. And if worse comes to worse just flipflop Champ and Harris.
      Denver Broncos GM
      Originally posted by Mosk
      Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

I have a bad feeling that the patriots are going to introduce a new silent no huddle scheme. Its going to be devastating. I seriously had a nightmare just last night.
        sigpic

"DENVER FINISHES FOOTBALL GAMES" - John Gruden on MNF

Comment

Gotta disrupt patterns at the line o scrmmage, play very agressive while pressuring the QB ... not easy to do. I think Harris matches up with Welker if he plays agressive, he frustrated Anquan in Balt by being physical and Welker is not as big as Anquan. Welker is not that fast either ... (4.65). Have to put Bailey on the TE's often (not always). Play bump at the line on the TE's and make the TE's have to stay for pass protection ... The key is still going to be getting to Brady. And to win the game they have to outscore the Patriots!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            * And to win the game they have to outscore the Patriots!
            Thank you Captain Obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Arch_Angel View Post
              Thank you Captain Obvious.
              Glad to help
              sigpic

Comment

First, and most important: we play against a TEAM not TE's. So we have to stop/slow down the TEAM not Gronk or Hernandez. Nobody can stop/cover Megatron, the Lions put up #1 passing yardage, but most teams still stops the Lions from scroring.

So, IMO, what we have to do is:
                1. We have to contain their running attack this time. We cannot make the same mistake again to let them rush the ball all night and get easy 2nd and shorts, and play safe on 2nd/3rd downs by rushing on short yardage situations. We have to make some 3rd and longs and force them to pass the ball.
                2. Their primary RB is Ridley, he's been used in 60-65% of the snaps. They almost never use him as a pass target - he has something like 5 catches, 40 yards in the entire season. So, if he's on the field, he's either blocking or running. Mostly expect a run, because at least 2 out of 3 times they're running when he is on the field.
                3. Woodhead is just an opposite. He is their #2 RB, but he has more receiving yards than rushing yards. So, when he is on the field - cca 20-25% of the snaps, mostly on 3rd downs - the possibility him being used as a receiver is almost as high as used as a runner. So, never blitz from his side in these plays, or do it in a well designed way, by covering him while someone blitzes on his side.
                4. Wereen and Bolden are #3 and #4 RB-s, and being used like Ridley. (10% of the snaps).

Now, their passing attack:
                1. Again, the most important is to not let Brady to play on short 2nd and 3rd down situations. This is when he is almost unstoppable. This is nothing new, all elite QB's love these situations. They read the defense pre-snap, and have the option to choose either a run or a short slant-type pass plays, or go deep.
                2. Be agressive on defending receivers. Stay close, and distrupt their timing by stopping them whitin 5 yards. This gives time for the pass rush as well.
                3. Brady is not a deep threat QB any more, unlike Rodgers, Schaub or Ryan for example. So don't be afraid to line the safeties a little closer to the LOS, because Brady is unlikely to throw the ball over 30. And when he does, his ball is more of a hit or miss shot than a precise rocket, so our CB's or safeties have a good chance to defend them 1 on 1.

Finally: The Pats will have to come to Mile High and execute their no huddle in thin air, which they haven't used to. So, compared to the Boston game, I expect them to slow down their no huddle time by time, and have rotate their player more. That will give us chance to rotate our own players and some time to find out optimal formations.

Oh, and almost forgot: DO NOT TURN OVER THE BALL.
                The Pats #D is the most successull in forcing turnovers. In most of their games this year, they had +2 TO ratio. Sometimes even +3 - +5.
                When they had negative or even equal TO ratio, they played close games even against mediocre teams (except the Texans game, but in that game, the Texans were next to terrible, so I take it as an exception. )
                Last edited by peterk; 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Everyone is so worried about the Pats and their super scary offense.

When they beat us they beat a newly formed team with a completely raw untested system both offensively and defensively at their own home..

Now that everything has gelled and our Quarterback actually got the feel of a season under his belt after a major injury and a 35+ TD and 4500+ yard year...

Before Im caught dead answering any How are we gonna stop The Pats Questions, answer these questions..

1- Who do they have physically capable of slowing, or catching much less cover Demaryius Thomas?

2- Bradys darn well aware of what Doom can do, who will they double up on? Him or Von?

3- NE has one of the slowest ST teams in the league. How are they gonna catch my boy Trindon??

4- What happend the last time Brady showed his mug in Denver (post-season)

5- Name any ONE player on the Patriots roster who wants this Superbowl more than Champ Bailey

Comment

Assuming they even make it that far .

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                      Nickle Base Package

Champ on Lloyd
                      Harris on Welker
                      Carter on Hernandez
                      Trevathan underneath/Adams overtop on Gronk
                      Moore playing center field
                      Woodyard playing the runningback
                      And a DL of;
                      Ayers - Wolfe - Unrein - Von

Now hear me out, Ayers has been playing damn good football recently and getting tons of pressures and is much better than Doom in run support. Meanwhile Doom has been hit or miss in pass rush. Unrein has also been playing great football and provides a lot of energy and pure strength to collapse the pocket.

The Patriots love to run the no huddle and this would keep our huge bodies off the field while maintaining good run support.

Harris on Welker would be a key matchup, but I think he can handle himself this time around. And if worse comes to worse just flipflop Champ and Harris.
                      Dude, Carter on Hernandez...? I would not do that

Carter on Lloyd
                      Champ on Welker
                      Harris on Hernandez is much better

At least imo

And can't take Doom out on obvious pass situations

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                        Dude, Carter on Hernandez...? I would not do that

Carter on Lloyd
                        Champ on Welker
                        Harris on Hernandez is much better

At least imo

And can't take Doom out on obvious pass situations
                        Carter is physical enough to cover Hernandez. But so is Harris so that could definitely work.

And Doom hasn't had a lot of success against QBs who get the ball out quickly and is a liability against the run. So I would take him out of the base packages and use him as a situational pass rusher.
                        Denver Broncos GM
                        Originally posted by Mosk
                        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

I think the question should be:
                          "How would we cover Gronk & Hernandez PLUS Welker PLUS stop the ground attack PLUS apply some pressure on Brady?"

Is gonna be tough if everyone in NE is healthy in 3 weeks.

Comment

I recall that the 9ers put in a real heavy d line and they hammered Brady for a while. Maybe we Should consider that. Have ayers, Wolfe at the ends and big Vic + bannan in the middle. We lose the speed but the pocket wouldn't stand a chance.
                            sigpic

Comment

A lot of good points here. The simplest solution isn't about covering Gronkowski and Hernandez. You can't cover both guys. Even bracket coverage on Gronk just means Brady throws it above one defender and beneath another. Gronk's big enough that he'll reach up and snag it.

It's all about getting to Brady. He's not like Brees or Manning: he doesn't "throw guys open." He needs the play call to be perfectly set up to free one guy. Notice he always throws to someone who is miraculously wide open. The best bet is to disguise coverages and blitzes. Be an amoeba at the line. Make him play after the snap, because he usually hesitates in that moment, and that's when he makes mistakes.

+Be physical with the receivers at the line to buy the front 4 an extra half second to get to Brady. His throws will be a little late, and/or he'll have to move out of the pocket. He's terrible out of the pocket.

+Once the previous point takes effect, he'll start packaging his TE's at the line to get some chip blocks and set up some screens. This is fine, because the routes will take longer to develop and buy the rushers even more time. Denver's corners and LB's can make up the ground quickly.

+If the Patriots start running out of the shotgun early, the Broncos whole defensive plan could be in trouble, because they will stack the box and leave a lot of 1-on-1 mismatches. Brady is no Peyton Manning, but he is excellent at calling plays that create mismatches.

The Patriots match up is all about getting Brady off his marks, moving around, and hesitating. It's not about covering the skill positions. Their defense will give up big plays, so it's not like Denver won't score points.
                              Last edited by Doogansquest; 01-01-2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                                I recall that the 9ers put in a real heavy d line and they hammered Brady for a while. Maybe we Should consider that. Have ayers, Wolfe at the ends and big Vic + bannan in the middle. We lose the speed but the pocket wouldn't stand a chance.
                                I dunno if that dline compares to the Niners dline with Justin Smith in the first half of that game. They absolutely were crushing the pats till J.Smith was injured. Thats why the pats are our matchup nightmare. We are fast and athletic but lack the power the Niners have. I like the idea of Carter on Welker better than Harris. I think Harris is better to put on Loyd. Welker just takes harris to school underneath but sticky man is better built to deal with Welker I think. Not only that but the Niners have hammers at safety and we dont. They nailed Hernandez over the middle one play then the next play the Pats threw a little screen to Hernandez and he flinched as the ball was coming in and it popped into the air for an int. Now thats intimidating defense.
                                Last edited by gaberox; 01-01-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X