Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've Played 4/6 NFC Playoff teams in the Super Bowl

We beat the Packers and Falcons back to back
    And got throttled by the 9ers and Redskins.

IF, and Im saying IF we make it to the Super Bowl, there could potentially be some pretty interesting stories.
    Oh and dont forget that Seattle used to be Division Rivals (as seen in my other thread)
    sigpic

John Elway is there to remind them of these things.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Elway would love nothing more than to have his team beat the Redskins or the 49ers in a Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
        We beat the Packers and Falcons back to back
        And got throttled by the 9ers and Redskins.

IF, and Im saying IF we make it to the Super Bowl, there could potentially be some pretty interesting stories.
        Oh and dont forget that Seattle used to be Division Rivals (as seen in my other thread)
        And, and, and........ Until we actually won, Min and us were 4 SB loss teams. Also in 1998, Min was 15-1 and was favored to play us in the SB.
        #swapping

Comment

I hosted a huge Superbowl party for that Niners game,

Lots of Broncos fans quietly eating and drinking without a hope. I can almost taste this matchup...
          [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
            I hosted a huge Superbowl party for that Niners game,

Lots of Broncos fans quietly eating and drinking without a hope. I can almost taste this matchup...
            My boss is an avid 49ers fan, grew up in the Bay Area. I had to listen to his laments during the early 2000's and his encouraged ramblings last year. I would love nothing more than to listen to the sadness in his voice if the Broncos beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Although, to be completely honest, he has said that he doesn't think anyone can stop the Broncos...

Comment

Except that none of these are relevant or "lingering" football stories anymore.

Interesting in these playoffs to the media and 99% of fans (in no particular order):

1. The Patriots in the Super Bowl. I don't want them there, but half the world loves them, and half hates them. They get ratings, period.

2. Luck, Wilson, or RGIII reaching the Super Bowl, as these rookies have already had remarkable seasons. Two of them against each other at any time will generate a buzz.

3. Broncos reaching the Super Bowl, as Manning's story has already been amazing. It won't end up so much about Elway as it will Manning.

4. Falcons winning next weekend will get hype, as Ryan doesn't have a playoff win.

5. Patriots losing, as the media doesn't think it's possible...ever.

6. Ravens making a deep run, as this is the last ride for Ray Lewis.

7.The 49ers winning a Super Bowl and thus remaining perfect in the big game. This would also reestablish their "championship tradition."

8. If the Colts go deep, it will validate for the Indy fans and Irsay that they made the right choice.

9. The Packers winning it all, simply because they are popular and then Clay and Aaron can make more Discount Double Check commercials.

10. Houston playing in New England again. The stigma of a RECENT blowout loss, the BB + Brady playoff history of success, whether or not the Texans can bounce back, etc.

11. Brady vs. Manning. The rivalry was never Patriots vs. Colts; it was always about these two. It's shifted a bit to be more about Manning vs. Belichick recently, but this is a player-driven league. Team rivalries are now FAR less relevant than player rivalries.

12. Luck vs. Manning. Pretty much explains itself.

That's also why previous Broncos match ups will be irrelevant to 99% of the world. The Seahawks aren't a rivalry except to the 12 fans who remember how terrible the match up was. The 49ers vs. Broncos won't generate hype outside of the respective team boards, as the organizations have changed, both teams have nothing left over from that era gone by (besides Elway in office), they never had a rivalry to begin with, and no one says, "Holy crap! Remember that one important game 25 years ago the two teams have ever played against each other????!?!?!?!"

If the Seahawks and Broncos meet, no one outside of these boards will discuss their division history, as it was never a highlighted rivalry in the NFL. Trust me...I'm going through years of films as I type this, and it was never considered important to the NFL landscape. If anything, they will simply discuss how surprising Russell Wilson has been, and how remarkable Manning's comeback has been. How hot each team was entering the post season will come up as well. That's it.

If the 49ers and Broncos meet, they may discuss the most embarrassing game in Super Bowl history and give some TV time to Elway in the box as a result, but the teams don't exactly have bad blood, a history, a rivalry, or any remaining parts that resemble what those teams (or that era) consisted of. It's not a piece of modern football history, and anyone who hasn't gotten over the loss really needs to have their head examined. It was a game; it doesn't affect your life; the Broncos weren't owed anything; there would be no "revenge" without Montana and Elway both on the field in their respective primes. Denver hasn't been planning for this match for 25 years. I'm pretty sure John finally winning a couple basically erased his losses to most people.

If the Redskins played the Broncos...see the 49ers description above only make the story even less interesting.

As I stated above, the game is now more about stars being pitted against each other than the teams. People want blockbuster QB's against each other, or top defensive minds (like Lewis) against top offensive minds (like Manning or Brady). Most people now associate wins, losses, greatness, and even rivalries with the players.

All of the stories listed above will generate more buzz than the Broncos vs. some team they once played frequently, or a team they played in a Super Bowl more than 15 years ago. Among the fans in Denver, every pretend story will be overblown if the Broncos themselves make it.

Comment

Relevant and lingering depends on one's perspective.

TLDR
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                  (et al).
                  But but but...we do so enjoy overblowing our pretend little stories. It's not like we get to do it every year.

Does it really matter what The Media™ & 99% of fans think or "buzz" about? They have the rest of the universe, we have here.

Where else are Bronco freaks supposed to act like freaks, if not a Broncos forum?
                  "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Bro, gotcha. I dont care.
                    sigpic

Comment

Doogie, I guarantee you if it's a Bronco vs 49ers SB media will be filled with the past matches.

I'm only 31 and I still remember the SB blowout. There is history there and the media will take it and run.
                      sigpic
                      2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

If you want to get a little excited, go do a search on Ebay for Super Bowl 47 program and open up the picture. I wont say what it shows but I know it's a mockup, but that has me excited if it comes to reality. I wonder if we do get that far if they will be easily available here in Denver stores.

Comment

Originally posted by VADER72 View Post
                          If you want to get a little excited, go do a search on Ebay for Super Bowl 47 program and open up the picture. I wont say what it shows but I know it's a mockup, but that has me excited if it comes to reality. I wonder if we do get that far if they will be easily available here in Denver stores.
                          Nice..... I couldn't sleep and had to check that at 4:18am est. Awesome!!!!!!
                          #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                            Except that none of these are relevant or "lingering" football stories anymore.

Interesting in these playoffs to the media and 99% of fans (in no particular order):

1. The Patriots in the Super Bowl. I don't want them there, but half the world loves them, and half hates them. They get ratings, period.

2. Luck, Wilson, or RGIII reaching the Super Bowl, as these rookies have already had remarkable seasons. Two of them against each other at any time will generate a buzz.

3. Broncos reaching the Super Bowl, as Manning's story has already been amazing. It won't end up so much about Elway as it will Manning.

4. Falcons winning next weekend will get hype, as Ryan doesn't have a playoff win.

5. Patriots losing, as the media doesn't think it's possible...ever.

6. Ravens making a deep run, as this is the last ride for Ray Lewis.

7.The 49ers winning a Super Bowl and thus remaining perfect in the big game. This would also reestablish their "championship tradition."

8. If the Colts go deep, it will validate for the Indy fans and Irsay that they made the right choice.

9. The Packers winning it all, simply because they are popular and then Clay and Aaron can make more Discount Double Check commercials.

10. Houston playing in New England again. The stigma of a RECENT blowout loss, the BB + Brady playoff history of success, whether or not the Texans can bounce back, etc.

11. Brady vs. Manning. The rivalry was never Patriots vs. Colts; it was always about these two. It's shifted a bit to be more about Manning vs. Belichick recently, but this is a player-driven league. Team rivalries are now FAR less relevant than player rivalries.

12. Luck vs. Manning. Pretty much explains itself.

That's also why previous Broncos match ups will be irrelevant to 99% of the world. The Seahawks aren't a rivalry except to the 12 fans who remember how terrible the match up was. The 49ers vs. Broncos won't generate hype outside of the respective team boards, as the organizations have changed, both teams have nothing left over from that era gone by (besides Elway in office), they never had a rivalry to begin with, and no one says, "Holy crap! Remember that one important game 25 years ago the two teams have ever played against each other????!?!?!?!"

If the Seahawks and Broncos meet, no one outside of these boards will discuss their division history, as it was never a highlighted rivalry in the NFL. Trust me...I'm going through years of films as I type this, and it was never considered important to the NFL landscape. If anything, they will simply discuss how surprising Russell Wilson has been, and how remarkable Manning's comeback has been. How hot each team was entering the post season will come up as well. That's it.

If the 49ers and Broncos meet, they may discuss the most embarrassing game in Super Bowl history and give some TV time to Elway in the box as a result, but the teams don't exactly have bad blood, a history, a rivalry, or any remaining parts that resemble what those teams (or that era) consisted of. It's not a piece of modern football history, and anyone who hasn't gotten over the loss really needs to have their head examined. It was a game; it doesn't affect your life; the Broncos weren't owed anything; there would be no "revenge" without Montana and Elway both on the field in their respective primes. Denver hasn't been planning for this match for 25 years. I'm pretty sure John finally winning a couple basically erased his losses to most people.

If the Redskins played the Broncos...see the 49ers description above only make the story even less interesting.

As I stated above, the game is now more about stars being pitted against each other than the teams. People want blockbuster QB's against each other, or top defensive minds (like Lewis) against top offensive minds (like Manning or Brady). Most people now associate wins, losses, greatness, and even rivalries with the players.

All of the stories listed above will generate more buzz than the Broncos vs. some team they once played frequently, or a team they played in a Super Bowl more than 15 years ago. Among the fans in Denver, every pretend story will be overblown if the Broncos themselves make it.
                            Everything you say makes sense and I agree, but I think your forgetting one thing: we fired Shanahan. If we were to play them in the superbowl, that would be huge, especially after how he beat Reeves when he was here. There would be HUGE undercurrents if we played Washington in the SB.
                            Raider Hater #1

Team TEBOW #32, Broncos Supporter for Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangtoby View Post
                              Everything you say makes sense and I agree, but I think your forgetting one thing: we fired Shanahan. If we were to play them in the superbowl, that would be huge, especially after how he beat Reeves when he was here. There would be HUGE undercurrents if we played Washington in the SB.
                              Interesting, never thought of that. Now that would be a great story.

Comment

Working...
                              X