Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Vinovich Referee tomorrow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bill Vinovich Referee tomorrow

    What do you guys think about him?

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...n_totals::none
    Last edited by DFence; 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM.

  • #2
    Looking at his stats linked above, it looks like he is a ref that tends to allow the players to play the game. With the average of 14.7 flags being thrown a game in the league and his average sits at 9.7 for 2012. With his 50% average thrown on each team, we can be looking at about 4-5 flags called on us tomorrow. I know this is a stretch, just trying to see if anyone has any feedback on this guy. The last time he officiated a game for Denver was back in 2006 vs. KC.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DFence View Post
      Looking at his stats linked above, it looks like he is a ref that tends to allow the players to play the game. With the average of 14.7 flags being thrown a game in the league and his average sits at 9.7 for 2012. With his 50% average thrown on each team, we can be looking at about 4-5 flags called on us tomorrow. I know this is a stretch, just trying to see if anyone has any feedback on this guy. The last time he officiated a game for Denver was back in 2006 vs. KC.
      Let's just hope he allows for a fair game to played and let the players play. Although it is the playoffs so they should be somewhat more lenient than usual unless its a really obvious fowl.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't like any refs in any sport.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Experience View Post
          I don't like any refs in any sport.
          This.

          Especially refs that take over a game when it isnt needed.
          Go Broncos

          Comment


          • #6
            I know whe are so fully invested in a game, and it means so much that there is a thread to discuss the ref....before the game. Awesome :thumb:
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I've never heard of the guy... That can't be a bad thing, can it?
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

              sigpic
              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                I don't like any refs in any sport.
                As an umpire, I've learned that this is one of the most thankless jobs I could ever have. One of my bosses told me once that "The best compliment you can receive from a coach is a silent game."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Where has he been for six years? Why did he suddenly stop reffing and then reappear this year? That's kinda strange.

                  Refs are refs I guess. They're good then they're bad.

                  Bill Vinovich

                  References

                  Bill Vinovich is an American football official in the National Football League (NFL) from 2001 to 2006 and 2012, as well as a college basketball official. Vinovich began his career in the NFL as a side judge on the officiating crew headed by referees Dick Hantak (2001) and Ed Hochuli (2002-2003) before being promoted to referee for the start of the 2004 NFL season after former referee Ron Blum returned to his original position of line judge. Outside of officiating, Vinovich works as a CPA. In the NFL, he wears uniform number 52.

                  Since joining the NFL, Vinovich has officiated in one divisional (2003) and one wild card playoff game (2006) as of the 2006 NFL season.

                  Vinovich's 2006 NFL officiating crew consists of Tony Michalek, Derick Bowers, John Hussey, Gary Cavaletto, Laird Hayes, and Keith Ferguson.

                  As a college basketball official, Vinovich officiated a first round contest between Virginia Tech and Illinois in the 2007 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament on March 16, 2007. [1]

                  Due to a heart condition, Bill Vinovich retired from field duty following to 2007 season, to serve as the replay official for Ed Hochuli. He was replaced as a referee by former side judge John Parry.

                  In 2012, doctors gave Vinovich a clean bill of health, and he has returned as a substitute official. On October 14, 2012, he returned to field level action for the first time since 2006, heading Scott Green's crew in Philadelphia.
                  Last edited by // / yardo; 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A player should never argue with a ref. It's counterproductive. Talking with them and asking questions is fine.

                    If any disagreement is to be addressed, it's the Head Coach's job and that needs to be handled in such a way that the team knows Coach is backing them up, but the officials don't feel insulted.

                    With young players, it's important not to make a big deal about bad calls. Doing so only creates a distraction for the team. There will always be bad calls, and teams must learn to play through them.

                    Video review has helped the NFL very much. The best scenario is to get through a game with as little interactionwith the officials as possible.

                    John Fox seems to do a good job of keeping it light while letting the zebras know he's paying attention.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "A player should never argue with a ref. It's counterproductive. Talking with them and asking questions is fine."

                      Yeah, unless your PFM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ahrum View Post
                        As an umpire, I've learned that this is one of the most thankless jobs I could ever have. One of my bosses told me once that "The best compliment you can receive from a coach is a silent game."
                        Was going to say something similar. Generally if you don't notice the officials it's a good thing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You can never judge how many penalties, how good a game is gonna be called etc from the head ref

                          All he does is announce the calls ...all the other officials matter just as much ...also, normally you can at least get a feeling for crews but in the playoffs, the crews are totally custom

                          So no offense but this thread almost means nothing because it's only the head referee...it has nothing on the others

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Personally I feel at some level the refs are outdated. It seems like we have the technology (to rebuild him) to quickly analyze plays and call flags from the booth or something.

                            Really, I don't see the point in having refs on the field like that. Just seems like a lot of games are cheapened by bad calls (not necessarily the refs fault, the game moves fast and they have to go by their best judgement of what they saw) and they could be seriously minimized if there were people watching tape looking closely for that sort of thing.

                            Maybe the ref's perspective is difficult to replicate on film, and maybe that's why they're important. Anyone have any insight on this?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Springs View Post
                              Personally I feel at some level the refs are outdated. It seems like we have the technology (to rebuild him) to quickly analyze plays and call flags from the booth or something.

                              Really, I don't see the point in having refs on the field like that. Just seems like a lot of games are cheapened by bad calls (not necessarily the refs fault, the game moves fast and they have to go by their best judgement of what they saw) and they could be seriously minimized if there were people watching tape looking closely for that sort of thing.

                              Maybe the ref's perspective is difficult to replicate on film, and maybe that's why they're important. Anyone have any insight on this?
                              I would love to see you play in a football game without them.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X