Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not giving Manning a pass for this game (MERGE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not giving Manning a pass for this game (MERGE!)

Look, if Tebow turned over the ball 3 times, the pitchforks would be out in full force. When Elway turned over the ball, we tore him a new one. I'm holding him to high standards. You are one of the greatest to ever play and you turn over the ball 3 times and can't get a FG with 2 attempts in overtime?

Let's be clear that the first pick isn't on Manning. The fumble was NOT applicable to the tuck rule. Even Mike perrera stated:
    "I agree with Vinovich," FOX Sports analyst and former NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira said on Twitter. "Tuck rule states that if player loses possession after he tucks the ball back into his body it's a fumble. Remember it was called a fumble on the field and there was not enough to reverse it. The key was that he got it all the way back to his body before it was knocked out."
    And the OT pick was 100% on him, an absolutely poor throw. I understand the defense played poorly but there is a lot to be said when you go 4/8 for 35 yards in the 3rd quarter. Combined with 2 turnovers solely on him. If this is Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert or whoever, Fine. This is one of the greatest to ever play. He had an MVP season and he has this kind of performance in the playoffs?

Everyone is talking about, if the defense didn't give up that massive TD, we wouldn't be in the position to even go into overtime. If Manning didn't have the worst 2nd half of the season, we wouldn't even have to talk about that monumental defensive collapse. Manning audibled that 3rd and 7 from a pass to a run and got 1 yard!!! It was a game of two halves. He was brilliant in the first half. Beautiful zip, accuracy was good(Especially on the first two TDs), and we were steam rolling. 3rd quarter, accuracy was terrible, 4th quarter a poor job of converting 3rd downs and even on the TD drive, got away with a tacky call on Suggs that extended the drive.

I'm tired of these ex-Colts fans coming on this board putting this guy on a pedestal. We are Broncos fans. We held our QB accountable for 16 years. We hold all our QBs accountable including Plummer and Tebow. Manning didn't have a good game and deserves the criticism. This was supposed to be a blowout.

/RANT OFF
    Last edited by Broncofansince5; 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM.

You know who is also not giving Peyton Manning a pass? That would be Mr Peyton Manning himself. This game was not lost because of PM, although the turnovers certainly didn't help. And why bring Tebow into the conversation? This has nothing to do with Tebow, nothing. Tebow would not have brought us to a 13-3 record either, so lets not bring him into the discussion.

No one will be harder on PM than PM, lets be clear on that, and go Broncos.

Comment

Manning didn't audible to a run on 3rd and 7, he simply did his pre-snap mantra. He even shook his head after like he wasn't happy with the play call, which likely suggests it came from McCoy.

Look, he doesn't get a FULL pass, but he is this team's best shot at winning a Super Bowl in the near future. He did make mistakes, as did the defense in allowing Flacco to complete a bomb with 0:30 to go. As did Champ Bailey in getting repeatedly torched by Torrey Smith. As did the defensive line in not getting to Flacco at all.

The whole team lost this game, and Manning is included in that. Tebow would have been torn apart because he also wouldn't have thrown for nearly 300 yards and 3 TD's. Had he committed 3 turnovers, the game would have been a blowout loss. Tebow also never would have gotten this team to 13-3.

No playoff game is "supposed to be a blowout" by the way. Denver was playing the better ball at this part of the season, but the Ravens played pretty much perfect. Any NFL team can beat any other, especially in the playoffs. There's a reason the champs have come from the Wild Card rounds a lot recently.

As pointed out, Manning will be harder on himself than any fan. So it doesn't matter if we give him a pass or not.

Comment

Ugh...

The team scored 35 points. He threw for 3 touchdowns. That should have been more than enough to win the game. He engineered a drive in the 4th quarter on the Thomas TD that should have won the game.

Basically, you're upset he didn't throw for 4 touchdowns? You're upset that they didn't put up 42 points?

It should have never gotten to overtime.

Why Tebow's name continues to come up in any discussion is beyond me. Tebow's 3 turnevers would have also come with a grand total of maybe 10 points, so yes, that would have been a different blame game altogether.
        Last edited by Elway'sGhost; 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

There should have never been an OT. That is on John Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Elway'sGhost View Post
            Ugh...

The team scored 35 points. He threw for 3 touchdowns. That should have been more than enough to win the game. He engineered a drive in the 4th quarter on the Thomas TD that should have won the game.

Basically, you're upset he didn't throw for 4 touchdowns? You're upset that they didn't put up 42 points?

He also turned over the ball leading to 17 points with 10 being solely on him. Let's just ignore that.

Comment

Ugh...

Agreed. While his picks were huge and he has certainly played better games, The defense didn't show up. This should have never gone to OT. Peyton made a horrible play at the end of the game, but we should have never been in such situation.
              sigpic

Comment

Ugh...

I know, right? People are acting as though it was an anemic night for the offense (who also ran for 125 yards without Moreno), and the Broncos only scored 10 points.

The game FELT like it should have been 28-7 Broncos at half. But the fluke tip, no PI call pick, plus Champ getting smoked repeatedly made it close. You let a team like the Ravens hang around, and they will believe they can get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofansince5 View Post
                  He also turned over the ball leading to 17 points with 10 being solely on him. Let's just ignore that.
                  He threw a pick 6 that was a clear pass interference. If Decker wasn't interfered with he probably would have caught it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                    He threw a pick 6 that was a clear pass interference. If Decker wasn't interfered with he probably would have caught it.
                    I'm aware of that but the fumble lead to a TD along with his OT int. Pereira said it wasn't the tuck rule.

Comment

The first interception was due to a PI that wasn't called. The fumble was caused by lack of pass protection. Ravens had about 5-6 guys in our backfield. The only turnover that was directly Manning's fault was in OT. He took responsibility for this. It happened. Let's move on. This season is over.
                      sigpic

Comment

No one says ignore it. But with a 7 point lead, 40 seconds, and 70 yards to go with no timeouts, that should have been ball game.

Comment

I'm aware of that but the fumble lead to a TD along with his OT int. Pereira said it wasn't the tuck rule.
                          Perreia will fight to the death to defend any ref, if you asked him how he thought the refs did last night he would probably say they did an excellent job (when that was clearly the worst officiated game I have ever seen). He is just as stupid as all of the refs.

I hate the tuck rule, but that was it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                            No one says ignore it. But with a 7 point lead, 40 seconds, and 70 yards to go with no timeouts, that should have been ball game.
                            If he played better in the 2nd half, no one is talking about that 70 yard bomb. It might even be a 2 score game. He went 4/8 for 35 yards in the 3rd quarter alone. That is tebow stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
                              Agreed. While his picks were huge and he has certainly played better games, The defense didn't show up. This should have never gone to OT. Peyton made a horrible play at the end of the game, but we should have never been in such situation.
                              I agree. Just as a longer game can give a team more chances to win, it also gives them more chances to make mistakes. I'll admit my stomach sank a little when he made that awful throw, but I sort of saw it coming because he was in a spot he never should have been in.

I don't just do this for Manning, by the way. I will do this for the great QB's who mostly play excellent football when it counts.

I suppose Rodgers is a choker now too, right? Heck, he had a 15-1 team that couldn't get out of the divisional round last year, and he's been completely owned by the 49ers since Harbaugh got there.

Eli and Brees didn't even make the playoffs.

Brady has LOST the last 2 Super Bowls he's played in, both while having the ball last and with time.

The point is, these moments seem huge because they are on a high profile stage. They all make mistakes. No, the mistakes don't get a pass, but the players themselves do because they are mostly great.

Comment

Working...
                              X