Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not giving Manning a pass for this game (MERGE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Nice value add. If in fact Peyton's arm wasn't impacted by the weather.....then we were victims of ourselves. Even if the opponents play deep, you can still give them some looks. The more you play a short game, the more you play your hand......at least keep some options open, and clearly, we were not going for it in the latter part of the game. That makes the D`s job that much easier.

I guess I am defending Peyton more than anything with my theory (about the cold). But if I am wrong, than I am more disappointed in our strategy.
    It was a very good game plan, which led to 7 points advantage with 40 sec left. I still can't believe that bad defensive play. Corner should not let the guy pass him either.

Comment

• Manning was playing fine up until Moreno's injury and the pass protection fell apart in the 2nd half. IMO he only had one really bad throw, and that was the final INT that set up the Ravens' winning field goal. And I give him some slack for that because I really think he felt he had to do something to make a play and keep the drive going.

To say the cold weather DIDN'T affect him would probably be inaccurate. I'm sure it did to some degree. I just don't think it's something people need to be panicking over. He played well enough through the first four quarters to win.
      sigpic

Comment

• "According to the Broncos' leave-no-stone-unturned media guide, in the 519 home games the Broncos have played in their 52-season history, the average temperature at kickoff is 60.1 degrees." Elway used this little factoid as part of his pitch to bring Manning to Denver because they both knew the cold was an issue.

The cold may have affected Peyton more than most, but even at 70% he's better than most in this league. You could say the same for Suggs, or Lewis, or Reed - all of whom are playing at about 70%. To blame Manning, or say he choked, is delusional. Give Reed and Pollard some credit for taking away the long ball.

"Not the team you've been used to watching"? - who have you guys been playing? That team the Ravens fielded against you in Dec. was starting guys off the practice squad, and y'all got WAY too cocky, buying into all that media-hype about how Peyton's super-human, but you finally came up against a truly championship-level opponent, and found out he was a mere mortal. It was a GREAT game, that realistically could have gone either way. Manning is a truly class act, and you guys should be giving him major props for getting you as far as he did.

Trust me, if anyone understands how you guys feel this week, it's us Ravens fans after our heartbreaking loss to NE in the final seconds last year when we thought we had it in the bag. Like Peyton, we're just looking for a little redemption...

Comment

• If cold weather really effected him as much as some of you claim.....Then we are screwed next season cause it isn't warm in Denver in January, It isn't warm in NE in Jan, It isn't warm in Baltimore in January, and it sure as hell isn't warm in New Jersey in February.....So for the next 4 years is this going to be the excuses for him failing in the playoffs?
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by japfaff View Post
            If cold weather really effected him as much as some of you claim.....Then we are screwed next season cause it isn't warm in Denver in January, It isn't warm in NE in Jan, It isn't warm in Baltimore in January, and it sure as hell isn't warm in New Jersey in February.....So for the next 4 years is this going to be the excuses for him failing in the playoffs?
            Two things....

1) Saturday in Denver was very cold......abnormally so. I don't care what the tough dudes try to tell you, it becomes very hard to play the way you usually do when the temperature and wind chill drop that low
            2) I am theorizing for sure, but I believe Peyton will continue to heal, and if so, whatever he experienced this year will likely improve a little going forward.

It was a bit of a perfect storm on Saturday.....recuperating mixed with extreme cold.

And.....the really good news, he had a good game overall!!

Comment

Two things....

1) Saturday in Denver was very cold......abnormally so. I don't care what the tough dudes try to tell you, it becomes very hard to play the way you usually do when the temperature and wind chill drop that low
              2) I am theorizing for sure, but I believe Peyton will continue to heal, and if so, whatever he experienced this year will likely improve a little going forward.

It was a bit of a perfect storm on Saturday.....recuperating mixed with extreme cold.

First off 3 turnovers and a loss is never a good game.......That simple. Sure it was abnormally cold in Denver, but not the eastern cities if you expect next season to be any different. He has played in cold weather before and he has won. BUt if it was the cold that made him play so off....Then why is his playoff record so poor? 8 one and done. Brady has 1 and has had talent on a par with PM. How do you explain it? When does a fluke trend become the normal? I really think PM is a big time QB for the regular season, but a totally avg QB come play off time and that is a problem
              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Two things....

First off 3 turnovers and a loss is never a good game.......That simple. Sure it was abnormally cold in Denver, but not the eastern cities if you expect next season to be any different. He has played in cold weather before and he has won. BUt if it was the cold that made him play so off....Then why is his playoff record so poor? 8 one and done. Brady has 1 and has had talent on a par with PM. How do you explain it? When does a fluke trend become the normal? I really think PM is a big time QB for the regular season, but a totally avg QB come play off time and that is a problem

Comment

First off 3 turnovers and a loss is never a good game.......That simple.
                  He did well. The first two TD throws were among the most accurate and beautifully pitched passes I've ever seen (awesome catches as well). There were mistakes but he threw very well and seemed to have command of his unit through most of the game.

Then why is his playoff record so poor? 8 one and done. Brady has 1 and has had talent on a par with PM. How do you explain it? When does a fluke trend become the normal? I really think PM is a big time QB for the regular season, but a totally avg QB come play off time and that is a problem
                  Functionally, there is no difference between the regular season and the post season. Sure, some guys handle stress way better than others. However, I have intimately watched EVERY snap Peyton has taken since 1998 and I've seen him stand up against incredible pressure (we all have). Pressure is pressure and that dynamic doesn't change because it's January.

Peyton has been snake bit. Bad luck. The ball bounced the other way etc etc etc.

We tend to WAY over analyze statistics and we're tricked into believing that these numbers have some prophetic effect on future games.
                  sigpic
                  Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy View Post
                    He did well. The first two TD throws were among the most accurate and beautifully pitched passes I've ever seen (awesome catches as well). There were mistakes but he threw very well and seemed to have command of his unit through most of the game.

Functionally, there is no difference between the regular season and the post season. Sure, some guys handle stress way better than others. However, I have intimately watched EVERY snap Peyton has taken since 1998 and I've seen him stand up against incredible pressure (we all have). Pressure is pressure and that dynamic doesn't change because it's January.

Peyton has been snake bit. Bad luck. The ball bounced the other way etc etc etc.

We tend to WAY over analyze statistics and we're tricked into believing that these numbers have some prophetic effect on future games.
                    For what it is worth, when the dust settles, we may make a little sense out of this article:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...or-help/20868/

The difference between 9-11 and 13-7 is about 40 seconds in Peyton's case.

Elway was 7-7 with an 0-3 SB record before he won 7 down the stretch to go 14-7, wasn't he? I do think Broncos fans will definitely empathize as long as the winning eventually happens, IMO.

He is mortal in the playoffs but the lofty expectations expects him to be superman against playoff Ds too, and that is why the letdowns happen, IMO. He is just as mortal against top 10 Ds in the regular season too but the intensity is not the same as it is in the playoffs when he plays the same Ds then, IMO. Maybe his teammates stop making plays when he gives them a lead in the 4th qtr. the last 5 playoff games, who knows??? Cant put a finger on any one thing in particular, it is just easy to broadbrush Peyton without doing the due diligence or analysis though.
                    Last edited by chad72; 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Absolutely.
                      You guys are THAT CLOSE. For that matter, so are we - we're not there yet.
                      Football is the consummate team sport - that's why I love it so much.
                      I think Peyton gets that - and that's the only reason I'm here - tremendous respect for Peyton as a human being.
                      Never underestimate the power of heart and soul in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Preetv View Post
                        Omg..why is everything on Peyton.

At first it was like..OMG PEYTON IS A BEAST OMG OMG and now the first season he's here and the TEAM lost in the playoffs its PEYTON SUCKS..HE'S OLD..NEED A NEW QB. OMG WE'RE DOOMED!

Man I thought I'd stick around this offseason but you guys are unbelievable. I guess I'll just see you folks next season. Jesus man.
                        approach it as if you were a denver fan who just saw this happen with peyton on the colts and this performance

IMO peyton gave baltimore too many bonus points off turnovers, but he redeemed himself enough to be up by 7 with 30 seconds left, and his D ultimately failed him and set him up for giving up the game in OT

that's an unbiased look at it
                        sigpic

Comment

• Just something for everyone to look at here:

In the 2007 season, the Colts played SD in round 1, lost 28-24
                          Manning was 33/48 - 402 yards, 3td 2int 97.7 rating

In 2008 the Colts played SD again in round 1, lost 23-17
                          Manning was 25/42 - 310 yards 1td 0 int - 90.4 rating

Two good games two losses

Now comapre this
                          In 2006 the Patriots played SD in the postseason and won 24-21
                          Brady was 27/51 280 yards 2td 3int 57.6 rating

In 2007 the Patriots again played the Chargers and the PAts won again 21-12
                          Brady was 22/33 -209 yards 2td 3int 66.4 rating.

Now we have 4 playoff games here, Colts against the Chargers twice and the Patriots against the Chargers twice.
                          All 2006-2208 timeframe, essentially the same Chargers team in all 4 games.
                          Colts LOSE both games, Patriots WIN both games, yet Manning's stats were considerably better than Brady's.

My point is only this: These 4 games should at least indicate how a QB "winning or losing" a game can be a fools folly.
                          These results show how important the team is.

Comment

The first TO was a terrible call by the refs......TERRIBLE! They are supposed to review TDs, and had they, they should have seen a flagrant pass interference, which basically restricted Decker to one arm. Even the fumble was questionable. Sure, the OT mistake was big, but cmon, the game should have already been decided.

Comment

Working...
                            X