An Ultimate Underdog: Trindon Holliday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ultimate Underdog: Trindon Holliday

Okay so most of you have seen this or heard a few things about this kid. But to be honest I'm really impressed with the kid's story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trindon_Holliday

Holliday had a difficult time getting started in football. His mother held him out of football until 7th grade, because she was afraid he would be injured. After several years of performing at a high level, his high school coaches finally let him start as a running back during his junior year. In his senior year he accumulated over 2,000 yards and over 30 touchdowns, leading Northeast High to back-to-back State Semi-Final appearances.

Fearing that college recruiters would not believe Holliday's actual running times, his high school coaches added to his recorded times before sending them in. Despite his speed records, several schools, including Duke and Louisiana-Lafayette, rejected Holliday due to his small size.
    Holliday was never scheduled to appear at LSU's camp.

LSU was interested in another Northeast player, (WR Aaron Brown) but that player didn't want to go to the camp alone. So David Masterson, Holliday's high school coach, took Holliday along also. After initial workouts, Holliday ran the 40 in 4.28 seconds wearing high top basketball shoes. The time was so outrageous that the LSU coaches began arguing if they had started their stopwatches on time. "They asked me if Trindon could run it again," Masterson said. "He didn't even get in a track stance. He ran the second 40 in 4.27. He's one of those little freaks of nature." Despite this, LSU coach Les Miles still considered canceling Holliday's scholarship offer until holdover offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher convinced Miles that Holliday could play at a college level

Holliday was drafted in the 6th round of the 2010 draft. Despite his speed Trindon struggled on kickoff returns in the preseason. He was placed on IR because of a fracture in his thumb. September 3, 2011 he was cut then placed on the practice squad. On October 5, his practice squad contract was terminated. He was later added to the active roster, but was waived on October 25. In the 2012 preseason week 1 match up versus the Carolina Panthers, he returned a kickoff return for a touchdown. The next week versus the San Fransisco 49ers, he returned a punt for a touchdown. In the final preseason game versus the Minnesota Vikings, Holliday recorded his third touchdown in four games; this touchdown was a 76-yard punt return. Following the 2012 preseason, Holliday made the Houston Texans 53-man roster and was the starting punt and kick returner. Holliday was waived from the Texans on October 10, 2012 in a move to bolster an injury-depleted defense.
    ================================================== ==

In all I really like this kid.. I think Houstin made a HUGE mistake.. If he can stay healthy I see this guy doing a lot of great things for us.

Great post thanks for sharing mike!
    sigpic

Comment

thanks, great story. i think hes quickly becoming one of those players other teams' fear on kick and punt returns... like how i used to feel about darren sproles on the chargers. yes, he does also scare his own denver fans lol. but he certainly redeemed himself that last game. too bad it went to waste. :doh:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sheenabobeena View Post
        thanks, great story. i think hes quickly becoming one of those players other teams' fear on kick and punt returns... like how i used to feel about darren sproles on the chargers. yes, he does also scare his own denver fans lol. but he certainly redeemed himself that last game. too bad it went to waste. :doh:
        Yeah but I love his sense of urgency.. He always seems to do it when we need it most.. Thats what I love about Trindon

Comment

he is a threat that is for sure. i would like to see stats of fumbles, fumbles lost, TD's and avg yards, all that fun stuff with him on there compared.

Comment

I think one of the worst parts of the playoff loss was that his performance, which was the best playoff performance for a kick returner in NFL History, went to waste. Longest kick return, longest punt return and the only player to do both in the same playoff game. Just awesome.

Comment

Pay this kid and lock him. I expected this from him and he delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by KramerMacedonia View Post
                I think one of the worst parts of the playoff loss was that his performance, which was the best playoff performance for a kick returner in NFL History, went to waste. Longest kick return, longest punt return and the only player to do both in the same playoff game. Just awesome.
                This speaks volumes for the performance of the Punt Return Team and Kickoff Return Team.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Call me a complete homer.. but like I keep saying.. His speed is a natural god given ability. If he can stay healthy, and hang on to the ball.. then he will only deteriorate with his age.. And for now he's one of the youngest players assigned to an NFL team. (I think Hillman may be just younger)..

The guy has special NFL great speed. Not many people alive are that fast.

Comment

the one good thing out these disastrous playoffs....
                    sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Every time he gets the ball with a chance at a return I feel like he's taking it to the house. Really looking forward to seeing him in action again next year.

Comment

I love him! I really hope that we can get him into the mix on offense.

Comment

Man I dig this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by fairweatherh8r View Post
                            I love him! I really hope that we can get him into the mix on offense.
                            With his sheer speed it seems he could add a new dynamic to to an already potent offense. I could see him being used in a similar fashion as Andrew Hawkins in Cincinnati. I would hate to see him get injured though.

Comment

I like him a lot too! He is dynamic player who can score on any return..

I thought it was just great when John Fox pulled him and put Leonard in during that 4th quarter punt destroying any chance of a return as well as Trindon's confidence all because he thinks that Holliday can't be trusted even after taking 2 to the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X