Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Defense not closing Teams out, the improvement..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Defense not closing Teams out, the improvement..?

after watching the season, one thing that I kept hearing ever since the SD game,

closing teams out, I then hear Champ talk about how the Ravens 1st game, our defense let them get back within 1 score,

we would be up most games, but the broncos Defense would always allow a TD,

Denario Alexander- the 2nd game,
    pitta- the 1st game

....who should be accountable for not having this improved,

im not sure if any one else , follows... the offense for the most part did their job, same with special teams, the Defense did an amazing all year long, however, when the game was out of reach,

the defense would allow other teams to make plays and score,

revisiting the playoff loss, i would have thought that the way ravens played to score at the end of the 1st half, would be exactly how they would try to do it in the second half,

the team likes to talk about season in to quarter's, what about our defense and closing out half's?

what can be done to ensure this stops from happening, was it the Head Coach or was it the Defensive coordinator

I have always been upset at our defense playing it safe when we are down by two score, and our inability to dismantle teams like the Pats, I was so tired of our defense not forcing fumble as well, I hope our new OC just demand Manning to put points on the board until the clock hit 0. I am so tired of this team playing it safe in 4th Quarter when leading by two TD, John Fox you wont get a free pass next season mark my word.

Our first game against the Ravens should have been a complete blow out, but we just sit there and let Flacco score long TD pass and Pitta running loose, which contributed to our lost in the Playoff cause they saw a weakness in our secondary with the long passes.
    Last edited by FAN4LIFEBRONCOS; 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

but wait its just garbage time, are team will be fine when the playoffs come. John Fox shows class when the PATS stick it to weaker teams. Remember you don't get style points in the NFL either. A wins a win. The broncos know how to close out a close game
      (did this some up 1/2 the threads before the playoffs started?)

Lets collectively get back in touch with reality. You play how you practice. The broncos need to smack teams in the mouth early and not let up on both sides of the football next year.

Comment

This team needs to learn to play full bore until the clock hits 00:00. This BS of letting off the gas caught up with them. And for the love of God, how hard is it to defend against TE's?

Comment

So the best 4th quarter team in the NFL this season can't close out a game? I find that hard to believe.
          Just because a team gets points in garbage time when' we're up by 21+ doesn't make them crappy at closing out a game
          (granted we didn't do it when it mattered, in the playoffs)
          sigpic

Comment

The most glaring need to me is what we have needed for the last 6 or 7 years , a Dominate DT, we got end rushers and we have quality rotational guys on the line....but no really good player at DT.

and if you want to fix things in the secondary then this is how you do it
            CB - Champ Bailey
            CB - Re-sign Tracy Porter
            Slot Corner - Carter and Bolden battle it out in camp
            SS - Mike Adams - Q.Carter is Backup
            FS - Chris Harris (Played Safety Before) - R.Moore is Backup

just my opinion
            "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
              The most glaring need to me is what we have needed for the last 6 or 7 years , a Dominate DT, we got end rushers and we have quality rotational guys on the line....but no really good player at DT.

CB - Champ Bailey

just my opinion
              Rahim Moore as a backup? nope I'll pass.

Also, Bolden is not nearly as good at nickel corner as on the outside, as was displayed last preseason.
              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

To answer thread title simply

Better coaching philosophy

Also, Chris Harris is a press man corner...not only would he not wanna play safety, he shouldn't, his skillset is press coverage man-man
                Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman View Post

CB - Champ Bailey

just my opinion
                  It's been 11 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                    but wait its just garbage time, are team will be fine when the playoffs come. John Fox shows class when the PATS stick it to weaker teams. Remember you don't get style points in the NFL either. A wins a win. The broncos know how to close out a close game

Lets collectively get back in touch with reality. You play how you practice. The broncos need to smack teams in the mouth early and not let up on both sides of the football next year.
                    Yeah because thats worked out so well for the PATS now that they are going to the superbowl and all...oh wait no it doesnt.

I think that in part it should be coaching and making sure that the defence plays hard for 60 minutes. No so much concerned about offense, when they're up by two touchdowns its about avoiding mistakes and managing the clock and keeping the ball in play. Lets not forget that the playoff loss can be chalked up squarely on the defence. With a little over a minute to play Fox trusted the highly ranked defence to go out amd finish the game and they layed a big goose egg.

A lot of people blame Fox for the loss but to me it just shows how much confidence he had on the defense and they let him and all of us down.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      It's been 11 years
                      Thats true
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post

Your logic is really, really flawed.. horribly. What in the world does anything you just said have to do with the Ravens loss? The game was one possession throughout and they tied the game on the flukiest of all fluke plays. There were some major breakdowns in the secondary at key times. What does any of that have to do with a team scoring at garbage time when we're up 3 scores?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog1002 View Post
                          Your logic is really, really flawed.. horribly. What in the world does anything you just said have to do with the Ravens loss? The game was one possession throughout and they tied the game on the flukiest of all fluke plays. There were some major breakdowns in the secondary at key times. What does any of that have to do with a team scoring at garbage time when we're up 3 scores?
                          Not really if you think about it. I think you're getting confused in what he's saying cuz he's kind of on point. While we weren't blowing the Ravens out, we did go into prevent/soft coverage and did what we did a lot of times in the season, gave up a big play in the prevent D.

Let me first of all say I know the numbers suggest we were great in the 4th quarter. However, there were a few games where I was bitting my nails in the fourth quarter cuz we just didn't look into it. We gave up very big plays in the fourth quarter from playing a prevnet defense. The 2nd Chargers game should've been a blowout, but we went prevent D and gave up huge plays and TDs late in the game, only won by 7. The 1st Kansas game was way too close, only won by 8 (we did smoke them the 2nd time, but they gave up early). Tampa...really scared me because again, we went prevent and they made it a game til the end, we won by 8, should've been a blowout. 1st Ravens game, should've been a blowout, gave up 2 HUGE plays TDs playing prevent D. The trend seemed to be when we play prevent D, we do the cliche and prevent us from success.

While we weren't blowing the Ravens out, we did go into prevent/soft coverage and did what we did a lot of times in the season, gave up a big play. I don't like the guy but Bill Bellichic said something I like in a taped pep talk to the Pats early in the season. He said let's punish them every play of this game, make them realize they're in a football game every play. Not to say they're a physical dominant defense, but the message is what I don't think we practice. I don't think we stressed that in some games, no mercy next season on either side of the ball!!!!!

Comment

revisionism
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              revisionism
                              Agreed.

It's crazy how quickly some in the fanbase have gone from just wanting a win, to now demanding a blowout.

2 years ago we were 4-12. This year we were 13-3.

I said this last year, and I've said this during this year, and I'll believe it next year. I don't care if it 1 point or 50, as long as it's more than the other team. Just win the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X