Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Defense not closing Teams out, the improvement..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's just poor defense on the deep plays, and it was a problem throughout the season, and throughout that game. There were several deep passes completed in the first half on top of the one at the end of regulation.

I see a more general problem giving up big plays, I just don't see closing games to be a major issue. If they were building big leads and losing, I would.

Maybe it seems like more an issue later in games when the other team is down, as that's when they are taking more chances downfield?

Comment

I say we get Darrelle Revis and problem solved.

Comment

Defensive calls give gap responsibilities for run D and coverage for pass D. At the snap, the steps of the OL tell if it's run/PAP or pass/Draw.

At any level, the defense must defend the run. That, and a lead, will make the opponent's O one-dimensional.

OK, aspiring DCs, your team has a lead and it's mid third-quarter or later. What D do you call? Zone, man or combo? Do you blitz? What part of the field do do defend more closely? With a lead, what are the things you most want to prevent the opponent from doing?
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          OK, aspiring DCs, your team has a lead and it's mid third-quarter or later. What D do you call? Zone, man or combo? Do you blitz? What part of the field do do defend more closely? With a lead, what are the things you most want to prevent the opponent from doing?
          I'm not an aspiring DC but I believe you have to take it game by game and make adjustments to what the opponent is having success with and what you are not doing well. In the Baltimore Game I think we should have played a three deep zone 6-db dime because they were killing us in man all game. The defense got little pressure on Flacco because they were double teaming Miller and our 2&3 techs were getting little pressure up the middle. I saw New England-Ninkovich blitzing straight through the 2 gap with some success. I wouldn't have minded seeing Woodyard, because of his speed, trying to hit that gap on a blitz, especially in that last drive. I really feel we need to improve our DL, MLB, and S positions to be able to have a championship caliber team. I'm sure the team knows this and they will try to fortify these positions in the next couple of months.

The part of the field you try to defend is the endzone. The thing you are trying to prevent from an opponent is them scoring touchdowns.
          sigpic

Comment

The enemy of a team down by more than one score entering the 4th quarter is the clock. For that reason, they will not run the ball and will try to complete passes near the sidelines.

The opposing defense will try to prevent deep completions and defend the sideline so that receivers can't stop the clock. This is done by leaving the middle of the field open (MOFO) short. Deep coverage is thirds, so the deep middle is not open. Normal pass rush (4) is advisable, blitzing (5/6) is not. Inverts, rotations and combos are possible.

The team with the lead will try to help the enemy of the opponent by running the ball and not going out of bounds.

One of the greatest plays in football is downing a Punt in side the +10. It is especially true in this situation. Force the opponent to go 80 yards plus and limit them to FGAs.
            Last edited by samparnell; 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

The enemy of a team down by more than one score entering the 4th quarter is the clock. For that reason, they will not run the ball and will try to complete passes near the sidelines.

The opposing defense will try to prevent deep completions and defend the sideline so that receivers can't stop the clock. This is done by leaving the middle of the field open (MOFO) short. Deep coverage is thirds, so the deep middle is not open. Normal pass rush (4) is advisable, blitzing (5/6) is not. Inverts, rotations and combos are possible.

The team with the lead will try to help the enemy of the opponent by running the ball and not going out of bounds.

One of the greatest plays in football is downing a Punt in side the +10. It is especially true in this situation. Force the opponent to go 80 yards plus and limit them to FGAs.
              Love this post! Couldn't agree more, however, the first BAL game, Pita beat us on a sideline pass, then made a great move to run in for the score. The game tying pass in the divisional round was toward the sideline. So while I agree, once we have the lead, running the ball well is crucial as well as being able to defend the field as you mentioned.

Why do you think we were unable to defend those types of plays, especially if the DC knew the odds of such a play were high? Was it just execution?

I'm literally asking as your football knowledge seems very good and would appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

The divisional round game never had more than a one score margin. Looked like the Broncos' D was concerned about the Ravens' rushing attack and leaned on the secondary with Cover 1. The Raven's long passing attack was exceptionally effective, 9.5 ypa on barely 53% completion.

Hindsight indicates a prevent approach might have been more effective against the passing attack; pehaps a number of straight, rotated and inverted cover 3 calls. In order for that type of coverage call to be effective against the rushing attack, it would need to be quite varied, including some zone blitz as well as different fronts. Regardless of the call, D always lines up on the O and reads what they do at the snap.
                Last edited by samparnell; 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

The divisional round game never had more than a one score margin. Looked like the Broncos' D was concerned about the Ravens' rushing attack and leaned on the secondary with Cover 1. The Raven's long passing attack was exceptionally effective, 9.5 ypa.

Hindsight indicates a prevent approach might have been more effective against the passing attack. In order for that type of coverage call to be effective against the rushing attack, it would need to be quite varied, including some zone blitz as well as different fronts. Regardless of the call, D always lines up on the O and reads what they do at the snap.
                  Thank you for the input, I get so used to having the lead with this team, it's hard to accept that they never had a 7+ score lead in that last game.

As far as the first Ravens game, week 15, I think. We did have a large lead, yet gave up a TD to the TE on a sideline pass play (not sure of the name of the route), which it seems the defense should have focused on limiting that type of play. To force the Ravens' hand and keep the clock running. Do you think this was just a breakdown in communication, bad call, bad read, bad execution?

From the casual observer's point of view, myself, it seems to have just been one of those mental lapses...not sure if it was something more though.

Comment

it dawned on me this week that the broncos struggles with the deep ball started in are first pre season game against Seattle. T.o. had the dropsies but exposed are secondaries weekness over the top. adams got burned once and moore as well.

does anyone have film on the game?

Comment

Working...
                    X