Lets be Real About the Balt loss, where does it rank in all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets be Real About the Balt loss, where does it rank in all time

I have seen allot of people react to this loss the way I did to the Jax loss. For a few days I would pick a fight with anyone who would talk to me I was so miserable. That loss effected my life for probably a month and effected my thoughts until the day we beat Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

Now I am not going to rank these All time to Hadez. I am going to try to rank them all time to the Broncos and their fans in general. I understand the loss to Balt hurt some people just as bad as the loss to Jax hurt me but frankly while I was extremely disappointed in the loss to Balt I did not feel the pain like I had in the past.

So I am going to understand that loss hurt some more then me and I will rank it higher then it was for me personally but I hope others try to be real with this as well.

The Super Bowl losses deserve to be 1-4 imo

1. Loss to Redskins in Super Bowl. This is one allot of us thought we were going to win.
    2. Loss to NYG in Super Bowl. Tough Matchup. As I fan I can appreciate now more then back then how tough of a game it was for us to win but at the time I thought that was our game to win.
    3. Loss to 49ers in Super Bowl. Honestly I did not think we would win this game but it hurt beind the third Super Bowl Loss hung on Elway and Reeves.
    4. Loss to Cowboys in Super Bowl. I considered putting this higher but honestly at the time people were just so happy to have a good team I do not think the heartbreak was as bad as other ones.
    5. Jax playoff loss.
    6. Loss to Buffalo in AFC Championship. Allot of people did not give us a chance to win. Elway went down and Kubes almost led us back. A Sewell fumble was a horrible way to end the playing career for Sewell and Kubes. This loss did not hurt much to me personally as I was in the middle east but I understand how much it hurt the Broncos and their fans.
    7. Loss to Pitt in AFC Championship. Once Indy and Peyton was knocked out that was our Super Bowl to in imo.
    8. Balt loss in Divisional Round. Home field advantage, a franchise QB again, top 10 defense. Team should have went further.
    9. Balt loss in 2000. What hurt me was watching Shannon Sharpe make the play the put us down for good. Even worse then watching Brian Griese be our QB...no idea how we got to playoffs with Griese.
    10. Loss to SD in last week 2008. Not a playoff loss but this loss triggered a chain of events that lead to maybe the worst time in Broncos history.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

I've only been a fan since 94-95 when I moved to Colorado Springs. This is the worst I've felt about a loss, ever .. but it's still fresh I guess.

Comment

This has personally been the hardest loss for me to get over. I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. It's driving me crazy that I can't get it out of my mind. I don't remember being this plagued for this long by the Jax loss.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Going without a winning season 1960-72 belongs on the list.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

1. The loss to the Redskins in the Superbowl. The Broncos were up 10-0 and I thought that it was going to be Elway's time to shine, but the team fell apart in a big way after taking that lead.
          sigpic

Adopted Posters:
          Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
          Adopted By:
          Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
          Broncbeat

Comment

Pretty accurate list. I still don't like the Redskins because of that Super Bowl loss. The 49er super bowl, they played so much better than us we just weren't winning that game. I had to listen to a lot of the Jacksonville loss on the radio. That was a bad, bad loss. I thought at the time that might be the last time Elway got a chance at super bowl. Glad I was wrong. This Baltimore loss, especially seeing NE stink up the field ranks top 5 for me. I just feel like a Cleavland fan must of after the Broncos beat them in the playoffs. There is next year but you don't always get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Comment

I might a add a certain loss to the 49ers the last game of the season allowing the Chiefs to make the playoffs to be 10 on this list. I know Denver likely loses a first round playoff game after that but that San Fran team was not that good.

Comment

Out of all those listed to me this loss is the hardest to swallow. All of those other games we did not play well at all and we deserved to lose those games. We had only ourselves to blame for those losses.

This game in my opinion was decided by a factor out of our team's control and for everything we did right to stay ahead of Baltimore the refs came along and handed the momentum right back to Baltimore. For every play we made the refs were there to make sure it stayed close until the very end when it finally broke our backs.

This was the worse loss in Broncos history that was not the fault of the team. In my humble opinion. I still am having a hard time coming to terms with what happened that day and it has been nearly a month ago. I think I need to go to rehab or something.
                sigpic
                Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

For me the AFC Championship loss against Pittsburgh is really high on the list. That was our Super Bowl to lose and we lost it before even getting there. Just about any AFC team was going to take down Seattle.

It could also be argued that loss was what started the chain of events that would bring McDaniels to Denver.

Comment

As a fan who didn't follow the Broncos until the 2000s, my shortlist would go:

1) 2012 Baltimore loss because we beat them and the refs for 4 quarters
                    2) 2005 Steelers loss. Champ dropped a pick 6 and the Willie Parker fumble was overturned which ruined all momentum early on.
                    3) The 2004 snow game against Oakland. It might be the game I've enjoyed most in all my years as a fan. The weather was extreme but the deep passes were still flying. Al Wilson destroyed Tyrone Wheatley on 4th and 1. We had the NFL's potentially most clutch kicker set to win it in the final seconds and it's blocked...

Comment

In a season full of firsts, from Peyton with our receivers, our defense not having to hold the other team to not scoring till the 4th quarter, etc. I find it extremly hard to understand how some people can think this loss to Baltimore is the worst loss in Broncos history. I agree with the op that this loss is somewhere closer to 7-10 rather than top 5. The other losses listed were losses by teams that had at least played a prior season together. For our coaching staff to be able to go from Timmy's offense to running a regular offense and get all our players up to Peyton's speed in a year is nothing short of great.

Did we make a ton of mistakes in that divisional game, very much so but we did it against a team that has been together for many years and understands the in's and out's of eachother's personality and tendencies. We had yet another new defensive coordinator, another new QB starting, receivers that new more about blocking than running routes and an offensive line that had to always wonder where the QB was going to be next last year to creating a solid pocket. This loss stung but unlike many other bad losses, I know in my heart of hearts that we are going to be much better next year because there will be more continuity. Baltimore was glad that they got to play us this year because next year, with a year together under our belt and a DC that will be here for the 2nd year, we are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

GO BRONCOS!!

Also, the loss to the 49ers in the super bowl is my #1. I remember watching that(I was very young) and being devastated because we got handled.
                      sigpic

Comment

We weren't favored to beat the 9ers, so I'd list it like this :

1. The home drubbing at the hands of the Raiders in 2010

2. Playoff loss to Jacksonville

3. This year's playoff loss to the Ravens

4. SB loss to the 9ers
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
                          1. The loss to the Redskins in the Superbowl. The Broncos were up 10-0 and I thought that it was going to be Elway's time to shine, but the team fell apart in a big way after taking that lead.
                          Broncos' D couldn't stop Counter Trey. Timmy Smith had 200 yards rushing and two TDs; Doug Williams threw 4 TD passes.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            We weren't favored to beat the 9ers, so I'd list it like this :

1. The home drubbing at the hands of the Raiders in 2010

2. Playoff loss to Jacksonville

3. This year's playoff loss to the Ravens

4. SB loss to the 9ers
                            Yeah, pretty much for me too. I would put the AFC Championship game loss to Pitts at 5.

I was a young kid during Elway's first 2 SB losses, so they didn't sting as much.

Comment

Didn't watch Denver until 96/97. So, my ranking.
                              1. Pittsburgh AFC Championship
                              2. Baltimore Raven AFC Division
                              3. NE AFC Division.
                              4. Raiders shellacking us in our own house
                              5. Most of the games that McD coached....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X