Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos are top 5 in both offense & defense...So, why aren't we dominating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos are top 5 in both offense & defense...So, why aren't we dominating?

Broncos are top 5 in both offense & defense and nobody else in the NFL is even in the top 10 in both categories... So, why aren't we dominating? Actually, I already feel I know the answer....turnovers.

Against both Miami and San Diego (and other earlier games), we dominated statistically but managed to lose or just eke out a victory. And that's frustrating considering we should be blowing out these teams.

Offensively we're ranked #5 in the NFL. Defensively we're ranked #4 in the NFL. We're #4 in time of possession. In turnover ratio we're ranked #24 in the NFL! OUCH!!

And anybody who's watched the Broncos games this year would admit that we have given away more of our those turnovers than the opposing defenses have taken from us. That's a big difference. Because there is always hope that our offense will get its act together and and stop GIVING IT AWAY. And if we do that, we'll be right back on track to make the postseason and maybe even make a few waves when we're there.

Anybody else agree that turnovers are the main reason our 8-5 record doesn't jive with our high ranked offense and defensive stats? Or do you think there is an even bigger reason?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I agree it begins and ends with turnovers, our offense is getting to many and our defense hasnt gotten enough. Thats what disappoints me the most is that I thought that we would be getting so many more turnovers with champ bailey. But I am overall pleased with him and our defense.
    RIP D-Will

Comment

i posted this last week because i was just as confused...it makes absolutely no sense to me that we are the only team in the top 10 to have both our offense and defense ranked there and be as frustrating as we are. i think that is why alot of broncos fans are as upset as they are. we know we are better than our record shows...shanny is a better coach than it looks, jake is a better QB than it shows, and our D is better than our record shows...its all just very confusing. i just dont think our team is playing up to its potential...and alot of us are getting really frustrated...

Comment

LEADERSHIP....HEART.....WILL TO WIN, the Broncos are starving for these things.

Comment

It's what I was talking about all last week, We have been top ten the last 3 years and we are a combined 27-19. Turnovers is a huge reason, Poor execution in crucial situations and what I think is the most glaring. Terrible playcalling and poor clock-management. This is why I feel we need to do something with our headcoach. Although I will give him credit, he made some excellent dicisions yesterday. However I still think he will cost us another game down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
            Broncos are top 5 in both offense & defense and nobody else in the NFL is even in the top 10 in both categories... So, why aren't we dominating? Actually, I already feel I know the answer....turnovers.

Against both Miami and San Diego (and other earlier games), we dominated statistically but managed to lose or just eke out a victory. And that's frustrating considering we should be blowing out these teams.

Offensively we're ranked #5 in the NFL. Defensively we're ranked #4 in the NFL. We're #4 in time of possession. In turnover ratio we're ranked #24 in the NFL! OUCH!!

And anybody who's watched the Broncos games this year would admit that we have given away more of our those turnovers than the opposing defenses have taken from us. That's a big difference. Because there is always hope that our offense will get its act together and and stop GIVING IT AWAY. And if we do that, we'll be right back on track to make the postseason and maybe even make a few waves when we're there.

Anybody else agree that turnovers are the main reason our 8-5 record doesn't jive with our high ranked offense and defensive stats? Or do you think there is an even bigger reason?
            4 Reasons...

1. (as said) Turnovers - we are like christmas football elves... we're always giving, but never taking.
            2. Poor pass rush - ever watched a game of a really good defense like NE or Bal? Enough said...
            3. Not rising to the occasion in critical situations - I'm sure you can think of plenty such situations.
            4. Special Teams - our coverage sucks, our return game sucks, and our punting sucks, "please don't retire Elam!"
            “One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain” ~Thomas Sowell

2008 Draft: my grade --> A-

Comment

The real cure....

You are right about the turnover thing....and while most seem to throw their hands in the air and hope for "better luck", there are some tangible reasons for our bad turnover ratio.
              First and foremost, Shanahan (the GM) can never seem to get the right mix of players on the front 4. Who are we running out there in the middle these days Pompei(!?) ...Pope...Fatafehi (sorry for any misspellings) , as well as players who are well past their prime like Coleman and Rayleee Johnson. Don't get me wrong, these guys play hard, but we needed Pryce and Ellis to stay healthy. Reggie Hayward is proving to be a solid end, but they need more stability in the middle. I think our secondary is the best in the league, but the turnovers will continue to stay low until we can pressure the QB with our front 4. This will allow our skill players on D to make a few more plays. I definitely think that we need to either draft a DT early or sign a widebody to come in and collapse the pocket...(if Luther Ellis could ever stay healthy, he was effective in this role). Look back at any of the times this year when the front four were getting in the backfield even a little....that;s when our D starts making plays.

On offense, Jake is throwing away way too many balls to the other team. This offense has actually over-achieved this year in a lot of ways. But Jake's INT's have been backbreakers. The only time he seems truly comfortable is when he gets to roll out.....but since teams are now wise to that, they keep him in the pocket and give him a ton of rope to hang himself with. In order to be a solid west coast QB, you need to be able to hit the underneath throws (from the pocket) 15 yards and in. In two years he hasn't grasped this chapter of the playbook. Shanahan needs to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible the next two weeks if we are gonna have any chance to make the dance.
              MD

Comment

Its what i been saying all along, just unlucky breaks all game tipped passes being int's and fumbles. and then when the tuirnover happens the opposing teams offense starts drives at liek the 30 yard line and are almost guaranteed a Fg if not a TD cause the defense cant possibly succeed when put under those circumstances. Liek i was saying if we get to the playoffs, we have a legit shot at winning the SB because we havent been losing because we arent a good enough team we have been losing cause of these bad breaks and mistakes like dropped passes INT's fumbles at the end of games when we have a chance to put it away. All the brocnos have to do is focus a little more on cleaning up the plays and making routine plays and we will be competitng with the best for the title.
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Emancipator knows the answer: Turnover (turnover ratio) and field position.
                  Emancipate your mind!
                  The People's Poster

Comment

We need to start getting the opposing QB on the ground...once we get pressure on him, he'll start making mistakes...that's when the TO's start coming...to bad Pryce is out for the year...he'd make a huge difference.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                    Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                    Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                    Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

If we/they have finally figured out the problem - what's the answer - I mean it seems simple enough - stop turning the ball over - but - and this may sound dumb but being a girl I have never played "real" football - is there some way to practice not turning it over - I heard that Tiki made quite the off-season effort to fix his fumbleitis - it seems to have helped - what are we doing, does anyone know?

And like I said earlier - rankings are great for paper but W's are what matters - I would take a 25th ranked offense and/or defense and the SB ring - I dont know about the rest of you

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                        If we/they have finally figured out the problem - what's the answer - I mean it seems simple enough - stop turning the ball over - but - and this may sound dumb but being a girl I have never played "real" football - is there some way to practice not turning it over - I heard that Tiki made quite the off-season effort to fix his fumbleitis - it seems to have helped - what are we doing, does anyone know?

And like I said earlier - rankings are great for paper but W's are what matters - I would take a 25th ranked offense and/or defense and the SB ring - I dont know about the rest of you
                        with ranks usually comes superbowl rings, you either score alot or your really stingy, getting the rankings is only supposed to show this on paper...thats why must broncos fans are so frustrated, we have the ranks, its just not showing up in the win/loss column...

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad Broncofan
                          LEADERSHIP....HEART.....WILL TO WIN, the Broncos are starving for these things.

I agree, their main hindrance is whats going thru their heads. The turnovers don't help, but if they play with some consistentcy, then NO body can touch them

but it is true that we have been shafted luck wise (Jax, Oakland rd2, SD) but we also can make luck a factor or not
                          Last edited by TheCanuckBronco; 12-13-2004, 01:08 PM.
                          KEEP THE FAITH

Football is one half physical and 90% mental
                          -Yogi Berra

something our boys should keep in mind

*i need CPs!*

Comment

Turnovers don't help, and it doesn't matter who's at fault, because you can't blame 1 person for everything........

Inability to get turnovers on defense.......

Defense gives up big plays at the wrong time. The announcers of the Miami game made a great point, in that our defense plays great 2 out of the 3 downs, and then gives up a big play. Inconsistency on defense.....

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                              and I am here to say that was the last win the Broncos will have this season....hello 8-8...
                              Oh Razor...

Sometimes I wonder what's more important to you.

Is it your team winning, or the Broncos (i.e. Shanny) losing? Maybe you care more about seeing your predictions come true and "proving" Bronco fans wrong?

To me it's sad to see someone with your level of football knowledge filled with such hate and contempt.

You're hoping that we lose the rest of our games because that's about the only way the Ravens will get in, right?

Let's see... at Indy, at Pittsburgh, and then Miami at home. OUCH!!!

Versus... at KC, at Tennessee, and then Indy at home. Hmmm.... I know which schedule I like better.

We may be 1-3 against teams with winning records, so I suppose that's a good thing that we only play one team with a winning record, AND we play them at home, AND that may be a "meaningless" game for the Colts.

Which is it.... 8-8 or 9-7?

I haven't forgotten
                              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X