Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Robert Ayers step up this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will Robert Ayers step up this year?

    With the loss of Dumervil and Freeney wanting way too much money, there is a good chance that we will be counting on Robert Ayers and maybe a good draft pick this year for Defensive End.

    I've heard both good and bad about Robert Ayers, but my mind is not up yet whether he can step up and be the beast we need. I'm sure you guys have an opinion or two.

    Please let me know what you think!

    Bleacherreport rated Robert Ayers 29th place in 4-3 defensive ends
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Run Defense32/40
    Robert Ayers stood up well against the run during the 2012 season. His strength at the point of attack aided his ability to make tackles against running backs. Ayers doesn’t have great length to create space between himself and blockers. He’ll get driven back off the ball by offensive linemen who have the quickness to attack his inside shoulder.

    Pass Rush38/60
    Ayers has the athletic ability to be a dynamic pass-rusher, but he’s not shown the ability to come free off blockers and close the door on the quarterback. Ayers has a good first step, but he doesn’t use his hands well enough to break free once engaged. Ayers hasn’t developed a great countermove yet, but he can win in one-on-one battles using his athleticism.

    Overall70/100
    The Broncos' No. 3 defensive end in 2012, Ayers could move into a bigger role in 2013 with Elvis Dumervil out of town. He’ll have to step up his pass-rushing game.

  • #2
    I think Ayers will step up and be a solid starting DE, especially against the run. I think he can play well enough to not be a weakness in our defense, and help keep the edge.

    But I doubt he is ever going to become a pass rusher and get sacks like some people want to see out of him. He just isn't a pass rush specialist. I think we need to draft a young pass rusher in the first couple of rounds to fill that void.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
      I think Ayers will step up and be a solid starting DE, especially against the run. I think he can play well enough to not be a weakness in our defense, and help keep the edge.

      But I doubt he is ever going to become a pass rusher and get sacks like some people want to see out of him. He just isn't a pass rush specialist. I think we need to draft a young pass rusher in the first couple of rounds to fill that void.
      I agree with your assessment. I still like Ayers. He hasn't lived up yet, but I like what he brings. He will get some sacks, maybe 5 or so, but his strength is on the run, and that's a good quality to have.

      And yes, if we don't fill the pass rush void with a vet, I believe we can find a "specialist" in the draft, without even using our first pick. I still want that one to be used if a stud (in another position we could use) is sitting there for the picking.

      Comment


      • #4
        I like Ayers against the run. He normally does a very good job of setting the edge, and has made quite a few tackles for loss, even though that particular stat gets lost in the shuffle over his low sack totals. I'll take it though. Play Ayers on 1st and 2nd down and then bring in player X for 3rd down....right now? I don't know whether that's Jackson, Beale, a FA, or someone out of the draft, but Ayers is really not as bad as people think. Worth a 1st round selection? Probably not. He is a solid starter at DE though.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think he break out a little this year. He has to see this as a major opportunity too as his rookie deal wind to and end. Hopefully that translates into good production.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't really have high hopes, but considering how he exploded his final year in college, maybe he'll do the same while on the last year of his rookie deal. We can hope!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              I agree with your assessment. I still like Ayers. He hasn't lived up yet, but I like what he brings. He will get some sacks, maybe 5 or so, but his strength is on the run, and that's a good quality to have.

              And yes, if we don't fill the pass rush void with a vet, I believe we can find a "specialist" in the draft, without even using our first pick. I still want that one to be used if a stud (in another position we could use) is sitting there for the picking.
              Ayers is unfairly judged by the premature draft position McD picked him at. Just one more reminder of the seasons that continue to haunt us. He continues to improve and develop and gives us critical depth at a key position.

              Good solid high character player.

              BTW Mcd gave Dumervil the overvalued contract that started that whole mess, Off topic but...:hammer:
              [sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Ayers will make big strides this season. I mean he has had a tough time, not only trying to live up to where McDummy drafted him, playing out of position when he first started, new coaches every year, and I mean it takes some time DE's to develop, not all guys are studs there first full years, but it is definitely make or break for Ayers in 2013-14. Now, will he be a top tier DE? Probably not, but I can see him becoming a DJ Williams type player, wont make huge plays, but also wont miss on his assignments.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have confidence that he'll play well.

                  He's played well already in spurts as well as having a great game in the playoff game against the Steelers.

                  Hey if Moreno can step up and play, so can Ayers.
                  All in for Siemian!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
                    I have confidence that he'll play well.

                    He's played well already in spurts as well as having a great game in the playoff game against the Steelers.

                    Hey if Moreno can step up and play, so can Ayers.
                    Definitely, and I mean we all saw Woody rise to the occasion, hopefully Ayers can do the same.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I much better like rolling with Ayers then over paying for a old has been. Spend the money somewhere else... Wish this would have happened before Jackson signed with Atl.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know he didn't get many sacks last year when he was in the game, but that's because..

                        1. Either Von or Elvis got there first
                        2. He slid inside to tackle on 3rd and long situations.

                        but he did get pressure on the qb, and actually force a couple sacks to Von's side.. He also had 1 game saving force fumble..

                        not to mention one season was wasted with him playing linebacker, and changing defensive coordinators every year he been in the league. this is the first year in his young career he will have the same defensive coordinator. I think with that fact, and the wasted year at OLB, he caused him to always have to relearn a scheme, and not play fast.. Its harder on younger guys, than it is vets who at least have years of game experience to compensate for them having to learn a new defensive scheme.

                        I think Ayers will rack up 6-8 sacks, with about 30-40 tackles... He is capable of at least that, going into an offseason when for once he doesn't have to learn a new defense.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                          Ayers is unfairly judged by the premature draft position McD picked him at. Just one more reminder of the seasons that continue to haunt us. He continues to improve and develop and gives us critical depth at a key position.

                          Good solid high character player.

                          BTW Mcd gave Dumervil the overvalued contract that started that whole mess, Off topic but...:hammer:
                          Maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, hopefully by this time next year we can be celebrating a superbowl victory while resigning a 10+ sack master in Robert Ayers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                            Ayers is unfairly judged by the premature draft position McD picked him at. Just one more reminder of the seasons that continue to haunt us. He continues to improve and develop and gives us critical depth at a key position.

                            Good solid high character player.

                            BTW Mcd gave Dumervil the overvalued contract that started that whole mess, Off topic but...:hammer:
                            I'm not a McD fan, but you are wrong on the assessment of Ayers coming out of college, he was rated as a high value in the draft at rushing the passer and never fulfilled that assessment. That is on Ayers. ayers was on the verge of being cut last year before Jason Hunter got hurt, that saved his job, lucky for him.

                            Dumervil's contract was the going rate for a 3-4 OLB with the sacks he was getting, it is on the Broncos that changed the defense back to a 4-3 (which he was really on a 3rd down player on before) and had him play all downs because of his pay. Dumervil hopefully, for his sake, get back to his old form playing OLB in a 3-4 again.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              dbl post

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X