Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope Del Rio sticks around for awhile.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope Del Rio sticks around for awhile.......

This was one the best defensive performances,other than the Ravens Debacle, if not the best in Broncos History. We were ranked 2nd overall,3rd against the pass and 3rd against the run. when the prior year we were ranked 20th. Not to mention this is THE best defense Peyton has ever had the luxury to play with. Not even the 2006 Colts Championship Team was this good. You know that Jack was integral part of that. I just hope Jack can stick around for awhile, at least till we get 2 or 3 Rings

I agree. He's done a great job changing this defense. It was almost embarassing to see the Broncos D vs the run 3 years ago. The pass D wasn't much better. We've looked a lot better in the past couple years and last year's statistics were great. We'll get to see if he can keep it going with Dumervil in BMore. My only worry is that he gets conservative like Coach Fox. The first game vs the Ravens we sent pressure all game and Flacco was running for his life. The playoff game (and I realize they switched their Oline around and Caldwell had a couple games under his belt) was a different story. We didn't seem to send much pressure and only rushed 3 at times, which burned us repeadately. I'm hoping for a lot of blitzing with Champ and DRC.
    Last edited by champ&dreallday; 04-02-2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I hate looking at anything related to the Ravens game, but when you check when and where the points came, and take into consideration that over 5 quarters of football were played, the defensive unit didn't do as bad as the score indicates over the full length of the game. They just had 5 horrible plays, that I'll highlight below.

To start off 7 of those 38 points came from a pick 6 TD, so that's 7 points right off the bat they could do absolutely nothing about conceding.

10 of the remaining 31 came on short fields. A Manning fumble set up the Ravens in Broncos' territory, thus only needing to drive 37 yards to score. They did so, near enough all of those on a 32 yard Ray Rice run. The other scenario that led to the three remaining short field points was obviously the game winning FG, where the Ravens started with the ball on the Broncos' 34 yard line, the interception.

The 21 remaining points not previously mentioned came on the long bombs. Torrey Smith's first TD in the first quarter, the other long bomb to Torrey Smith at the end of the first half, and the long bomb to Jacoby Jones at the end of regulation.

I think another horrible play was the 24 yard pass to Dennis Pitta when the Ravens were backed up on their own 3 yard line facing 3rd and 13 in overtime.
      Last edited by Bootleg; 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I hear you Hesky, my only question is regadless of field position, how many sacks or even knockdowns did we get on Flacco???? Not many

Comment

Well, then. We've already won then. He's the longest tenured D-Coordinator we've had in over 7 years. Kinda sad, but at least there's some consistency there now.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
            I hear you Hesky, my only question is regadless of field position, how many sacks or even knockdowns did we get on Flacco???? Not many
            1 sack. Lack of pressure was arguably the main reason for the loss. It allowed Flacco time to get those deep passes off.

The Ravens had 479 total yards. The 5 plays I highlighted above accounted for 217.

The Ravens ran a total of 73 plays. On the remaining 68 plays, the Broncos allowed 262 yards. Huge contrast.

Comment

I don't understand the thoughts of Del Rio being a hot commodity.

Defensive head coaches are becoming less and less popular candidates. Young offensive minds are the current trend.

Del Rio's teams were fundamentally solid and completely boring. His teams don't sell tickets.

There's a reason he didn't even get interviewed after this season.
              Denver Broncos GM
              Originally posted by Mosk
              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by serpico View Post
                This was one the best defensive performances,other than the Ravens Debacle.
                of sorry to sound like im beating a dead horse. But in that raven debacle there was alot of uncalled penalties, such as holding, pass interference, offsides all these calls that went uncalled. If you go back and review the film you'll see Torrie Smith pusihing off Bailey, he even pushed off baileys shoulds on one of the score plays.

Sorry Im still having trouble acceppting what was allowed to happen in that game. If not for all the cheat tactics used by the baltimore refs, Denvers defense would look pretty elite right now!

Comment

I agree. He's done a great job changing this defense. It was almost embarassing to see the Broncos D vs the run 3 years ago. The pass D wasn't much better. We've looked a lot better in the past couple years and last year's statistics were great. We'll get to see if he can keep it going with Dumervil in BMore. My only worry is that he gets conservative like Coach Fox. The first game vs the Ravens we sent pressure all game and Flacco was running for his life. The playoff game (and I realize they switched their Oline around and Caldwell had a couple games under his belt) was a different story. We didn't seem to send much pressure and only rushed 3 at times, which burned us repeadately. I'm hoping for a lot of blitzing with Champ and DRC.
                  Who was on those defenses 3years ago for that matter the previous decade.

Until fox came to town there has been almost zero interest in defense.

Go back on draft day and other than ONE DE(actually played more LB in college than DL) and 2 LBs how many choices were made on defense (throw out 07 as I think it was more about giving the DC forced on (shanny), rope to hang himself)
                  How many rounds 1-3 picks were on defense.

Not many.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                    Who was on those defenses 3years ago for that matter the previous decade.
                    Until fox came to town there has been almost zero interest in defense.

Go back on draft day and other than ONE DE(actually played more LB in college than DL) and 2 LBs how many choices were made on defense (throw out 07 as I think it was more about giving the DC forced on (shanny), rope to hang himself)
                    How many rounds 1-3 picks were on defense.

Not many.
                    Derek Wolfe
                    Malik Jackson

Von Miller
                    Jeremey Beal

Jamie Kirlew

Robert Ayers

Carlton Powell

Jarvis Moss
                    Tim Crowder
                    Marcus Thomas

Elvis Dumervil

Comment

That is what I was saying when watching the game. I did not see major adjustments until we were nearly tied. It is almost like we had a plan and said let it ride....

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                        That is what I was saying when watching the game. I did not see major adjustments until we were nearly tied. It is almost like we had a plan and said let it ride....
                        I didnt know what defense I was watching. One of the funniest/heartbreaking things I heard about the game was from a Ravens fan who thought they would get blown out. While laughing, he said if Del Rio sent pressure at Flacco, he would've folded like a beach chair. Then he asked why in the world do we run a 3-4 scheme. When I said we don't, he tried to tell me I didn't know my team. He said he consistenly saw only 3 rushers all game. I sadly said we've been a 4-3 defense for the past couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post

Defensive head coaches are becoming less and less popular candidates. Young offensive minds are the current trend.

Del Rio's teams were fundamentally solid and completely boring. His teams don't sell tickets.

I'm not saying he's the sole reason for the improvement, but I think he's definitely on a few teams radar. I would have to imagine he just sees the opportunity in Denver and his chance at a ring. Tons of teams in league are fundamentally flawed on defense. His teams are usually boring, but his players tackle well, fill gaps, play their zones, etc. He just never had a QB. QB friendly coaches are the hot choices these days, but looking at how horrible some teams defenses are (Carolina, Buffalo, Detroit,) he may get a look if we're top 5 vs the run and pass again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post

Most sacks in the league, turnovers and a bunch of defensive touchdowns. You're right what a bore fest. Hopefully we can get a bright offensive mind to run this unit next year.
                            sigpic

Comment

Del Rio had stated in an article he was not contacted for any head coaching positions and he was fine with that. And I hope nobody calls him for the next couple years. Stability will be huge for this team, thought I think if we pull off a SB next season he maybe gone.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X