Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Chris Harris better than Champ Bailey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chris Harris better than Champ Bailey?

Do you think Chris Harris is better than Champ Bailey?

Matt Miller from Bleacherreport thinks so:

He rated Champ 7th best Cornerback in the league:
    Coverage60/70
    Champ Bailey is a future Hall of Fame candidate, and in 2012 he was once again a top-tier cornerback. He is a fluid athlete with the quickness to turn and run with wide receivers off the line. While the league's best will beat him over the top, he’s instinctive and athletic enough to keep pace with most NFL talent.

Bailey allowed just one touchdown in the regular season due to his ability to limit targets and prevent big plays in space. In the red zone, he effectively reads the quarterback and reacts in zone coverage. He plays the ball well when breaking on routes from a soft zone. He still has the ability to create and force turnovers.

Run Defense13/15
    Bailey plays the run better than you might expect. He is one of the game’s best at forcing runners back inside to tacklers and will come up to take away tosses and sweeps.

Tackle14/15
    You won’t see many missed tackles when scouting Bailey. He’s an active, aggressive tackler with wrap-up technique and sure hands.

Overall87/100
    Bailey has lost a step, but his 2012 film showed that he’s still a top-level NFL cornerback. There’s still quality play left in his game.

And...Matt Miller from Bleacherreport thinks Chris Harris is the 3rd best cornerback in the league:

Coverage64/70
    Chris Harris had a good 2011 season, but in 2012 he took the next step. He has the quickness to keep pace with most NFL wide receivers, showing the feet and hips to change direction and move fluidly through routes. He’s talented enough in man coverage to stick in the hip pocket of a wide receiver and take away passes with physical coverage.

Harris will get targeted often (see Week 16 vs. Cleveland), but he limits receptions well and does a good job keeping receivers from picking up yards after the catch. He limits yardage and big plays—just two touchdowns on the year—which is what you want from any cornerback.

Harris doesn’t make a ton of interceptions or break on the ball particularly well, but he also doesn’t gamble by jumping routes and guessing on the play. He’s disciplined to sit and make the tackle if a catch is made. That means he won’t be leading the league in interceptions, but he also won’t lead the league in touchdowns allowed. Watching him on film, you see a versatile cornerback who can play inside or out.

Run Defense11/15
    Harris does a good job holding the edge and forcing runners back inside. He’s a good tackler in space, but doesn’t have the strength to always beat blockers to the ball. Harris is willing and aggressive, but if blocked he can be held off.

Tackle14/15
    Harris jumps off the screen in tackling situations. He’s not the biggest cornerback, but he plays physical and will come up to stick ball-carriers. He’s active, totaling high numbers of tackles, and backs that up on film with solid technique and aggressiveness.

Overall89/100
    One of the best-kept secrets in the NFL, Harris is on the verge of breaking out on a national scope.

Comment

No, he isn't. He is not better in coverage, as the article stated, but he is a great young player.
      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Harris was an incredible diamond-in-the-rough find, but Champ is still one of the best in the NFL. I love the things Chris has picked up from Champ in their time together. He's up there with the most physical corners in the NFL, and the way he attacks runners and makes tackles really reminds me of Champ. By the time Champ retires, Chris Harris will be a household name.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
          No, he isn't. He is not better in coverage, as the article stated, but he is a great young player.
          I think im going to agree with you for now. Chris Harris will get even better and will eventually surpass Champ simply because Champ is getting older. Its pretty nice that the Broncos have the #3 Harris, the #7 Champ and #21 Cromartie cornerbacks in the league. Its gonna be a great team!

Comment

As good as Chris Harris is as a CB, I think his natural position is at safety. That is why I hope we draft a CB and can move him to his natural position.

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bob View Post
              As good as Chris Harris is as a CB, I think his natural position is at safety. That is why I hope we draft a CB and can move him to his natural position.
              No. Absolutely not. Chris Harris is a CB.

Why do people insist on turning our cornerbacks into safety's....seems to be a common theme around here?
              2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post

Why do people insist on turning our cornerbacks into safety's....seems to be a common theme around here?
                It's because everybody here is an elite GM/head coach/defensive coordinator just waiting for their big shot

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bob View Post
                  You have got to be kidding. He's with the receiver stride-for-stride constantly, and makes a play on the ball almost every time it comes his way.

I should also mention that Tony Carter was rated 62. I'd rate him a bit higher because of his ball-hawk skills and catching ability.
                  RIP Darrent Williams.

Comment

Harris is a corner and a very very good corner at that, he's already one of the best in the league and will be a household name before long.

Sure he played safety at Kansas State but that was possibly one of the reasons he went undrafted.
                    All in for Siemian!

Comment

Harris, Tony Carter, and Omar Bolden are the reason I dont think we need to even draft a CB this year. Harris is a top-notch talent that will only get better.

Comment

I had no idea Harris was so young. The guy is only 23. I was thinking he was 25/26.

He has a bright future and hopefully it's on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff
                          I think that this whole article is a bunch of BS.....Harris isnt even close to Bailey right now. Harris is a solid young corner, nothing more nothing less, but he has a ways to go before he can be put into the class as Champ (who has slipped off a bit, but is still in the top 10 in the league)

The proof is that I will make a bet right now that all come week 1 Champ will start on the left side, DRC the right, and Harris as the nickle. The kid just needs a little more seasoning, but i totally expect him to step into Champs shoes when Champ leaves and there to only be a slight drop off
                          I'd be willing to bet that Harris starts more games than DRC.
                          Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post

im not saying to do it because I like him at cornerback, but in Kansas Bob's defense, Chris Harris did play safety in college while at Kansas..

To answer the Question of the OP, I don't think Harris is better, but did have a better overall season, when u think of production vs expectation. You expect Champ to only allow a td or two a season, and he once again met expectations last season. Chris Harris however, exceeded expectations by a mile, considering him being undrafted a couple years ago, and starting from the bottom of the depth chart, and then the signing of Porter to throw Harris back as the 3rd corner, only for him to get the chance to start again and never give is spot back even when Porter returned.

With those facts, I guess its safe to say he had the better season, when considering the production he put out vs the expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff
                              I think that this whole article is a bunch of BS.....Harris isnt even close to Bailey right now. Harris is a solid young corner, nothing more nothing less, but he has a ways to go before he can be put into the class as Champ (who has slipped off a bit, but is still in the top 10 in the league)

The proof is that I will make a bet right now that all come week 1 Champ will start on the left side, DRC the right, and Harris as the nickle. The kid just needs a little more seasoning, but i totally expect him to step into Champs shoes when Champ leaves and there to only be a slight drop off
                              Im willing to bet Harris will be the starter opposite of Champ, and DRC plays outside on nickel with Harris sliding inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X