Broncos Cap Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Cap Situation

Before and after last weekend's NFL Draft, it was reported that the Broncos were $8.4M under the salary cap for 2013.

Given the matching info, we'll assume that figure does not factor in Denver's signing of Shaun Phillips, who will count for $1.4M this season, with any potential sack incentives beyond that impacting the 2014 cap.

Since we all know that the addition of Phillips's $1.4M cap number is partially offset by the removal of Duke Ihenacho's $480K figure under the Top-51 offseason accounting rule, that means signing the ex-Charger cost Denver $920K against the cap. That brings them to $7.48M in 2013 cap space as of today.

As for signing rookies, it was reported prior to the draft that Denver would have to allocate a shade over $3.9M for that purpose. But since the team traded down on Saturday and ended up with an extra pick, they will spend a little bit more than had been previously reported - somewhere between $4,099,329 and $4,300,731, to be exact.

This range of rookie signings would bring Denver's cap room to between $3,179,269 and $3,380,671, by higher math.

Sounds a little tight, but as the Phillips signing shows, that's enough room to sign another two or even three veterans.

Joe Mays

Of course, the Broncos are far from done in terms of clearing out space, as we were just discussing with our pal Joe Mays.

Whenever Denver gives up on its pipe dream of acquiring something in return for Joe, they will pay him his $500K in guaranteed compensation for 2013 (leaving $833,334 in dead money) and send him on his way.

On its own, cutting Mays will free up $3,333,333, offset by adding Ihenacho and his $480K figure back in, bringing Denver to between $6,032,602 and $6,234,004.

Chris Kuper

Ever since the Louis Vasquez acquisition, it's been our expectation that Chris Kuper is on his way out, along with his $4.5M salary for 2013.

If that's his fate, Denver would be left with $2,745,502 in dead money, and a pre-51 Rule savings of $2,669,664. Another $480K player (Mario Butler, Sealver Siliga, Trindon Holliday, or Jeremiah Johnson) would be added back to the cap number, for a net gain of $2,189,664, to between $8,222,266 and $8,423,668.

Other Potential Cuts

Ignoring the Top-51 rule, here is the amount to be gained by cutting any of the following players, in decreasing order of how likely we think such a move is to occur:

Lance Ball - $1.323M
    Jacob Hester - $715K
    Willis McGahee - $2M
    Andre Caldwell - $900K
    Chris Clark - $1.323M
    Stewart Bradley - $900K
    Manny Ramirez - $815K
    Knowshon Moreno - $945K

All other perceived likely cuts (Julius Thomas, C.J. Davis, etc) would have minimal cap impacts.

Bonuses paid to undrafted rookies also factor against the cap, but that's capped around $75K.
    Conclusion

Aside from a day or two during the early stages of free agency in March, the Broncos have not been particularly close to the salary cap.

The inevitable release of Mays will nearly double their room, and cutting Kuper (or getting him to accept a big cut, which we think unlikely) would add a good chunk more.

In other words, the Broncos have plenty of room to do whatever they want (or don't want) to do, including perhaps adding a matchup safety, middle linebacker, or some competition at kicker (a guy can dream, right?).

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-cap-situation

Good post. I was wondering where we stood.

I don't believe JT is a likely cut. Fox still had high praises for him at the seasons end

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post

I don't believe JT is a likely cut. Fox still had high praises for him at the seasons end
      I agree and hopefully Kuper isn't cut either, guys to good a player we need to keep him around.
      Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I thought KM was a bigger hit. thats not bad at all.

Comment

The only person that I really want them to cut is Joe Mays.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
            I agree and hopefully Kuper isn't cut either, guys to hood a player we need to.to.keep him around.
            He will either restructure or be cut. No way we pay a injury prone back 4.5mil
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
              He will either restructure or be cut. No way we pay a injury prone back 4.5mil
              Injury prone back?

I was thinking maybe a position change along the line, like moving him from right guard to Center or left guard. If he aint cut Im expecting to see one heck of a battle along the offensive line.

Maybe im to loyal to a once fantastic player, he is 30 and becoming more injury prone but Id like to see him remain in Denver!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I agree about Joe Mays & I think he'll probably be a goner. Kuper, I think will stay around for depth reasons as long as he can get healthy.

If they are to cut a RB, Mcgahee seems the most likely with his contract.

A lot can happen in camp, but one thing to think about too.. if they work out a deal with Clady, his cap hit from the franchise tender will be gone and his cap hit will depend on his contract. Could give him a big signing bonus to create even more cap room.
                Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM.
                sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                  I thought KM was a bigger hit. thats not bad at all.
                  Knowshon would give us $945,000 cap savings. But, we would have 2,342,000 of dead money if we cut him. He is projected to recieve 3,287,000 this year in base plus bonus.

Comment

Can we just cut Kuper tonight and call it a productive work week?

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                      Knowshon would give us $945,000 cap savings. But, we would have 2,342,000 of dead money if we cut him. He is projected to recieve 3,287,000 this year in base plus bonus.
                      Oh I see.. read that wrong. that's more in line with what I figured.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
                        Before and after last weekend's NFL Draft, it was reported that the Broncos were $8.4M under the salary cap for 2013.

Given the matching info, we'll assume that figure does not factor in Denver's signing of Shaun Phillips, who will count for $1.4M this season, with any potential sack incentives beyond that impacting the 2014 cap.

Since we all know that the addition of Phillips's $1.4M cap number is partially offset by the removal of Duke Ihenacho's $480K figure under the Top-51 offseason accounting rule, that means signing the ex-Charger cost Denver $920K against the cap. That brings them to $7.48M in 2013 cap space as of today.

As for signing rookies, it was reported prior to the draft that Denver would have to allocate a shade over $3.9M for that purpose. But since the team traded down on Saturday and ended up with an extra pick, they will spend a little bit more than had been previously reported - somewhere between $4,099,329 and $4,300,731, to be exact.

This range of rookie signings would bring Denver's cap room to between $3,179,269 and $3,380,671, by higher math.

Sounds a little tight, but as the Phillips signing shows, that's enough room to sign another two or even three veterans.

Joe Mays

Of course, the Broncos are far from done in terms of clearing out space, as we were just discussing with our pal Joe Mays.

Whenever Denver gives up on its pipe dream of acquiring something in return for Joe, they will pay him his $500K in guaranteed compensation for 2013 (leaving $833,334 in dead money) and send him on his way.

On its own, cutting Mays will free up $3,333,333, offset by adding Ihenacho and his $480K figure back in, bringing Denver to between $6,032,602 and $6,234,004.

Chris Kuper

Ever since the Louis Vasquez acquisition, it's been our expectation that Chris Kuper is on his way out, along with his $4.5M salary for 2013.

If that's his fate, Denver would be left with $2,745,502 in dead money, and a pre-51 Rule savings of $2,669,664. Another $480K player (Mario Butler, Sealver Siliga, Trindon Holliday, or Jeremiah Johnson) would be added back to the cap number, for a net gain of $2,189,664, to between $8,222,266 and $8,423,668.

Other Potential Cuts

Ignoring the Top-51 rule, here is the amount to be gained by cutting any of the following players, in decreasing order of how likely we think such a move is to occur:

Lance Ball - $1.323M
                        Jacob Hester - $715K
                        Willis McGahee - $2M
                        Andre Caldwell - $900K
                        Chris Clark - $1.323M
                        Stewart Bradley - $900K
                        Manny Ramirez - $815K
                        Knowshon Moreno - $945K

All other perceived likely cuts (Julius Thomas, C.J. Davis, etc) would have minimal cap impacts.

Bonuses paid to undrafted rookies also factor against the cap, but that's capped around $75K.
                        Conclusion

Aside from a day or two during the early stages of free agency in March, the Broncos have not been particularly close to the salary cap.

The inevitable release of Mays will nearly double their room, and cutting Kuper (or getting him to accept a big cut, which we think unlikely) would add a good chunk more.

In other words, the Broncos have plenty of room to do whatever they want (or don't want) to do, including perhaps adding a matchup safety, middle linebacker, or some competition at kicker (a guy can dream, right?).

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-cap-situation
                        Great post...I'd love to see us make a move on Charles woodson...

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post

Thanks,I wondered the same after the Shaun Phillips pickup.It looks like the Broncos may pick up another free agent after they clear up some cap space.It could be Freeney,Abraham,or Urlacher,Charles Woodson,the more depth the better imo.

Comment

Originally posted by denversdivision View Post
                            Great post...I'd love to see us make a move on Charles Woodson...
                            Thanks,i enjoyed the read too,it was very informative.

If Woodson comes at a price like Phillips i'm all in for it,but i wouldn't pay him a lot of money.
                            Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Seriously guys. Just read iaofm.com daily. Basically they do quality posts like this every time. Such an awesome site.

On topic I'd say that if this is a Super Bowl run year - keep Kuper for amazing depth for WHEN we take a hit on the oline. It's just a smart move and we really don't need the money for something else.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X