No announcement yet.

Broncos Cap Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing Clady is a given. Locking up other players is also a priority, however we can wait until the season is over for most. We really won't know where the holes are until after the season starts, so keeping a little cap free for emergency use during the season would be a wise precaution. Never know where that big injury will happen. It is hard to have depth at every position, so a wait and see attitude is always smart for some areas.
    sigpic

Comment

I think if we arn't going to sign anyone new (which I think they will) we might as well just make sure Ryan Clady is sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
        Adding Abraham with what we've already added would be a waste of money.

I personally believe he would be an upgrade over what we currently have and if that is the case it definitley isn't a waste of money, in fact it improves our chances at SB. I'm all for that. I think we are very talented as is but I also think we can still improve and as the season gets closer it will be nice to have the cap space to upgrade where we might be able too.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

We have to get clady signed and start looking to the other talent that is gonna cost us. We are going to lose talent over the next couple of years. You just can't keep it all. Its having a replacement groomed that makes a good team great.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
            Agreed unless decker is not asking for a huge chunk of money. I believe king was drafted for the specific reason if decker gets greedy because the obvious important talent is DT at wr. Must haves I think are clady, DT, Harris, Woodyard and miller in the next couple years
            I agree completely. Harris, Woodyard, and Miller seem to be guys you can build a defense upon. They just seem to be getting better and better too.

Comment

Use the $$$ in house. The only reason I see us snagging a veteran FA now is because of injury.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                I personally believe he would be an upgrade over what we currently have and if that is the case it definitley isn't a waste of money, in fact it improves our chances at SB. I'm all for that. I think we are very talented as is but I also think we can still improve and as the season gets closer it will be nice to have the cap space to upgrade where we might be able too.
                Go back and watch ayers snaps from last year especially the Carolina game, he single handedly man handles a pro bowl left tackle all game
                A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Go back and watch ayers snaps from last year especially the Carolina game, he single handedly man handles a pro bowl left tackle all game
                  Manhandled him all game? You mean, 1 sack? In a game where Kevin Vickerson had his 2 sacks and the defense had 7 sacks? Everyone was invited to that party. What happened in the other games? Ayers has to earn the spot. He was falling behind Jason Hunter during last year's camp. He started 13 games in 2011 as a 4-3 DE and produced 3 sacks. I don't expect the Broncos to sign Abraham, but he would improve the depth and competition at DE and be the second best pass rusher on the roster.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Manhandled him all game? You mean, 1 sack? In a game where Kevin Vickerson had his 2 sacks and the defense had 7 sacks? Everyone was invited to that party. What happened in the other games? Ayers has to earn the spot. He was falling behind Jason Hunter during last year's camp. He started 13 games in 2011 as a 4-3 DE and produced 3 sacks. I don't expect the Broncos to sign Abraham, but he would improve the depth and competition at DE and be the second best pass rusher on the roster.
                    Sacks aren't everything. you can think whatever you want but I actually watched the games with ayers and he pressured Cam almost every single pass play after ayers got in the game. you can hold on to that sack number all you want but most people know the numbers are not everything, I cant tell people enough to watch the players not the play and ayers owned that probowl left tackle

Comment

Shaun Phillips is going to be a 3rd down rusher in place of Ayers.

Comment

Sacks aren't everything. you can think whatever you want but I actually watched the games with ayers and he pressured Cam almost every single pass play after ayers got in the game. you can hold on to that sack number all you want but most people know the numbers are not everything, I cant tell people enough to watch the players not the play and ayers owned that probowl left tackle
                        You, who were asking for an edge rusher in the 2nd round, suddenly thinks Ayers is good enough now that the draft is over? Okay.

If we grab Damonster Moore or Margus Hunt Elway may have just built the best front seven in the league
                        I think round two has too be Moore, this would heal any mental wounds to Von that may have been caused by cutting doom. Replacing a good friend with a best friend who is also a outstanding pass rusher would be a excellent move.

Round 3, I think everyone knows this has to be a RB, if Bell is here I think he would be the pick unless they like Lattimore which would fit with Elways draft MO
                        So, the team should have drafted Damontre Moore or Margus Hunt, but now Ayers is great and John Abraham is not a good idea?

And you also wanted Le'Veon Bell, nut now that Elway drafted Ball he is the "only real workhorse in the draft"... Come on... Well, you have the right to change your tune.

I still see Ayers as the guy who has done nothing. I won't completely ignore the possibility of an impact this season because he is in the final year of his contract. Ayers only decided to play hard in his final year at Tennessee and then dominated the Senior Bowl.

Even with Shaun Phillips on the roster, John Abraham would still make this team better. He is a more skilled pass rusher than Phillips. I don't see it happening because money seems to be an issue and Abraham would take the spot of a younger DE recently drafted by the team. But if the team is going for a Super Bowl run, it's not a bad idea.

Watch the game against the Falcons last season, with Abraham beating Ryan Clady.
                        sigpic

Comment

You, who were asking for an edge rusher in the 2nd round, suddenly thinks Ayers is good enough now that the draft is over? Okay.

So, the team should have drafted Damontre Moore or Margus Hunt, but now Ayers is great and John Abraham is not a good idea?

And you also wanted Le'Veon Bell, nut now that Elway drafted Ball he is the "only real workhorse in the draft"... Come on... Well, you have the right to change your tune.

I still see Ayers as the guy who has done nothing. I won't completely ignore the possibility of an impact this season because he is in the final year of his contract. Ayers only decided to play hard in his final year at Tennessee and then dominated the Senior Bowl.

Even with Shaun Phillips on the roster, John Abraham would still make this team better. He is a more skilled pass rusher than Phillips. I don't see it happening because money seems to be an issue and Abraham would take the spot of a younger DE recently drafted by the team. But if the team is going for a Super Bowl run, it's not a bad idea.

Watch the game against the Falcons last season, with Abraham beating Ryan Clady.
                          I still believed bell is a workhorse. 400 carries proves it but 900 carries also proves it. I don't believe ayers is ever going to be a sack guy but I think he will be a top 5 pressure guy

Comment

Originally posted by causticon View Post
                            Shaun Phillips is going to be a 3rd down rusher in place of Ayers.
                            People are overrating the impact Phillips is going to have, did he come to better defense then the chargers? Yes but that doesn't excuse the fact he had one of the lowest sack percentages in the league last year

Comment

I would say not getting Moore in the 2nd was countered by drafting Smith and signing Phillips so it kind of negates not getting a pass rusher earlier in the draft. Also who then does Abraham replace on the roster for the DE position? Who then later gets cut because we do not have the money to pay for our younger talent? I understand Abraham would help this season but there are only so many snaps to go around and with the addition of Phillips he and Miller should be our 3rd down players. If you put in Abraham then that means Phillips is going to the bench or worse Miller. I don't think Abraham would want to go and sit on the bench for over half the game. I also don't believe the Broncos would want to pay that kind of money that he most likely wants to have a guy sit on the bench like that.

I do have high expectations for Ayers this year but not so much in the Sack numbers. I am thinking somewhere around the 5-6 sack type season. I also think though that Phillips will get around 8 sacks this season so from that DE position have somehwere between 13-14 sacks definitely replaces the production of Dumervil with the added bonus of Ayers is light years ahead of Dumervil in Run Stopping ability. Throw in I do think that Wolfe in his 2nd year should have at least as good of production as last year and my guess is Williams our 1st round pick should at least get a few up the middle and if nothing else at least increase pressure up the middle.

All of that to say I think the production of Dumervil has been sufficiently replaced at this time. There is no need in my opinion for an addition like Abraham.

Comment

why would we sign Von next year? Under the new CBA, 1st round picks have a 5th year team option. The team must option that 5th year, at the end of the 3rd year. The salary for the 5th year is pre-determined, based on draft spot. Von being a top 3 pick, would get the average of top 10 players in the league at his position.

Here's a good read on rookie contracts under new CBA

I would expect to see a headline at the end of this season saying "Broncos exercise 5th year option on Miller."
                                Last edited by Nbot; 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM. Reason: bed spaller

Comment

Working...
                                X