Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pistol Formation Coming to Denver Broncos Offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Pistol Formation Coming to Denver Broncos Offense?

The Denver Broncos have strict media regulations when it comes to photography of their practice sessions, especially in regard to formations and player personnel. But when it comes to photos released by the team—photos that can be accessed by every other team in the NFL—it’s a different story.

On Tuesday, the Broncos uploaded the photo seen at the top of this article as the cover photo of their Facebook page (Update: the photo was removed shortly after this article was published). Nothing to see here, right?

The photo actually reveals a lot.

The offense is lined up in a pistol formation, with what appears to be Ronnie Hillman lined up behind quarterback Peyton Manning in the backfield, receivers Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas on the outside and Wes Welker lined up in the slot.

To put it simply, the quarterback lines up four yards behind the center in the pistol offense with the running back lined up three yards behind him (as opposed to both being lined up next to each other seven yards behind the line of scrimmage in a traditional shotgun formation).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...roncos-offense

Bold Predicton- Peyton Manning will rush for 1,000 yards in 2013.

Comment

Isn't that actually run option pass simply?

If you make a spread formation in shotgun, then the options are enormous. With a running back 7 yards back, then it would require him to make up that 7 yards plus. Personally I HATE when a RB has to make up ground already gained, but if the formation allows that to happen with a strong O-Line and blocking involved off of a deceit then so be it.

This is just a practice play and Lord help us if they use something like this on 3rd down with the game on the line.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

It's basically a shotgun that you can run out of. When in the shotgun you're limited to sweep, draw, and counter.

In the pistol, you can run every run play possible in the I Formation or Ace.

Stretch, dive, toss, draw, blast, counter, power, and more.

Pistol is much better than shotgun, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
          Bold Predicton- Peyton Manning will rush for 1,000 yards in 2013.

idk whats more embarrasing. Zane Beadles' "block" or Melvin Ingrams "tackle"

Comment

I think this pistol format won't be something they use all the time. It's like the shotgun but the QB is a little closer. Still allows QB to see the field better than under center. But, it allows alot of different plays from it. Hope it works! Is the regular season here yet?

Comment

All I know is that our offense is going to be freakin' ridiculous. So many weapons and great blockers.

And I could see us scoring 500 pts in the regular season and see us threatening some all time records.
              Last edited by Houshmazode; 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM.
              :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                All I know is that our offense is going to be freakin' ridiculous. So many weapons and great blockers.

And I could see us scoring 500 pts in the regular season and see us threatening some all time records.
                Even if all the pieces fit well and we play to our potential, I don't see us scoring points like the nearly undefeated Pats. Simply because Fox won't run the score up like Bill does. When we get leads we will run the ball like we did last year. (For better or for worse)

Comment

I hope not...The pistol is just the gimmick of the month. Just like all the other ones that came before it the NFL will adjust and it will become ineffective.
                  Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                    I hope not...The pistol is just the gimmick of the month. Just like all the other ones that came before it the NFL will adjust and it will become ineffective.
                    How in the hell is pistol a gimmick???

The dive read that everyone can't figure out is definitely a gimmick, but the formation as a whole? Lol, how do you feel about the I? Is shotgun a gimmick?

Comment

It's not a gimmick in any facet.

It's a formation with a wide range of plays you can call out of it.

The read option is a gimmick and its just one of the many things you can do in the pistol formation.
                      Denver Broncos GM
                      Originally posted by Mosk
                      Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
                        idk whats more embarrasing. Zane Beadles' "block" or Melvin Ingrams "tackle"
                        Beadles is just lost on that play.
                        A Classic.... :thumb:
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                          It's basically a shotgun that you can run out of. When in the shotgun you're limited to sweep, draw, and counter.

In the pistol, you can run every run play possible in the I Formation or Ace.

Stretch, dive, toss, draw, blast, counter, power, and more.

Pistol is much better than shotgun, IMO.
                          Exactly, it's a shotgun formation that still allows you to run power plays out of
                          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Do you know what the pistol is? It's a passing formation that you can run power runs out of. It's a better formation then the pure shotgun
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I don't think so. Peyton will use it for mind games and it's actually a pretty good formation to run out of and play action out of.

Comment

Working...
                              X