Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pistol Formation Coming to Denver Broncos Offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI.....The KC Chiefs are going to use the pistol some too

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...iefs_OTAs.html

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
      Isn't that actually run option pass simply?

If you make a spread formation in shotgun, then the options are enormous. With a running back 7 yards back, then it would require him to make up that 7 yards plus. Personally I HATE when a RB has to make up ground already gained, but if the formation allows that to happen with a strong O-Line and blocking involved off of a deceit then so be it.

This is just a practice play and Lord help us if they use something like this on 3rd down with the game on the line.
      TB depth is 7 yds behind the ball in most formations. FB depth is 4 yds.

Pistol combines Run & Shoot with elements of Veer, Wing-T and Option rushing attacks. It is superior to the usual direct snap/"shotgun" backfield in that it is balanced and the mesh point is more concealed when the QB does a half or full spin handoff as when under. Besides the QB and TB, there are two other backs one of whom may motion.

Chris Ault invented the Pistol at Nevada Reno, and it is now making its way into the NFL as seen in Washington and San Francisco, for example. It constitutes an improvement over the Spread Option of Rodriguez/Meyer.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I love when coach Sam lays a football knowledge bomb like this. I love your posts in coaching threads Sam, you are a valuable contributor to this site.

Great Post!

GB2

Comment

The pistol is great. It's like a mini shotgun and allows for a more versatile running game.

We won't be running the zone read with Peyton, but I think it is here to stay in the league too. ESPN did a piece on the number of extra times per game Kaepernick got hit running the read option, and it was less than one per game I believe.

You can't build an entire running game around it, but as long as the QB makes smart decisions, sprinkling it into the run game can be deadly. I keep hearing people say how coaches will find a way to shut it down, but I don't see it honestly. It's a numbers game. When ran correctly, you automatically make the defender you're reading wrong and allowing for an extra blocker on someone else. That can be huge.

Last edited by Iron Clady; 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM. Reason: Added video.
          Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
            The pistol is great. It's like a mini shotgun and allows for a more versatile running game.

We won't be running the zone read with Peyton, but I think it is here to stay in the league too. ESPN did a piece on the number of extra times per game Kaepernick got hit running the read option, and it was less than one per game I believe.

You can't build an entire running game around it, but as long as the QB makes smart decisions, sprinkling it into the run game can be deadly. I keep hearing people say how coaches will find a way to shut it down, but I don't see it honestly. It's a numbers game. When ran correctly, you automatically make the defender you're reading wrong and allowing for an extra blocker on someone else. That can be huge.
            That's what they were saying about the spread option 2 years ago. Since then the option game has just grown. It's not going away anytime soon. If anything the role of the quarterback is growing. There will always be a place for guys like Matt Ryan and Tom Brady, but the change in the QB position is here to stay.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              That's what they were saying about the spread option 2 years ago. Since then the option game has just grown. It's not going away anytime soon. If anything the role of the quarterback is growing. There will always be a place for guys like Matt Ryan and Tom Brady, but the change in the QB position is here to stay.
              Exactly. The pure pocket passer will always be here. A strictly running QB will never have a place in the league, but there will continue to be QBs who can be effective from the pocket and can hurt a defense running the read option. If the QB is smart enough to make the right reads and get down when he should, there is no reason to get rid of it. And defenses will not outscheme it. It's numbers and angles.
              Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                I hope not...The pistol is just the gimmick of the month. Just like all the other ones that came before it the NFL will adjust and it will become ineffective.
                I remember hearing the same thing said about the "shot gun" some years ago. lol The more you can incorporate into an offense for their defense to defend against, the better!

Comment

The two original offenses were the under center T formation and the Single Wing with the ball passed to the TB/FB c.5yds behind the ball (i.e., "shotgun"). In the 1930s Dutch Meyer at TCU spread the eligible receivers of the Single Wing into what many called the Southwestern Spread. His most famous TB/QB was Sammy Baugh. When Meyer retired, he wrote a book about it called Spread Formation Football. Like "Tiger" Ellison's book on the Run & Shoot, it is still sought after by coaches. It is difficult to find one for under $50.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                    I hope not...The pistol is just the gimmick of the month. Just like all the other ones that came before it the NFL will adjust and it will become ineffective.
                    Nope. It presents some of the advantages of the shotgun formation, as well as the ability to run without the defense cheating to the side opposite of where the back lines up.

Comment

Yes, in Spread Option, the RB next to the QB would run to the other side of the QB if give, and the QB would go to the RB's side if keep. In the playoff game at New England after the end of the 2011 season, the Patriots used an odd front to stop Denver's Read Option. When the Broncos had the RB to the tight side, the Pats Eagled the weak side 5 to a 3 bringing the WOLB up to a 5 , Aggied the 0 to a 1 on the strong side and had the SOLB in a 9 box technique. There was nowhere for McGahee to go on the weak side on give, and no place for Tebow to go on keep with the ILBs filling the strong side B and C Gaps. Larsen was out, so they couldn't line up in I formations to get New England out of that look.

The Pistol is balanced which allows runs to either side. Pistol includes elements of Wing-T. The four basic Wing-T plays are Trap, Sweep, Counter and Boot. Trap is possible, but the steps are different from under center. It is slower to develop than from the I, but doable. The most feared Wing-T play is Counter, usually from the Wing. Counter and Sweep can be run effectively from Pistol, and Boot should be a staple from that formation.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Yes, in Spread Option, the RB next to the QB would run to the other side of the QB if give, and the QB would go to the RB's side if keep. In the playoff game at New England after the end of the 2011 season, the Patriots used an odd front to stop Denver's Read Option. When the Broncos had the RB to the tight side, the Pats Eagled the weak side 5 to a 3 bringing the WOLB up to a 5 , Aggied the 0 to a 1 on the strong side and had the SOLB in a 9 box technique. There was nowhere for McGahee to go on the weak side on give, and no place for Tebow to go on keep with the ILBs filling the strong side B and C Gaps. Larsen was out, so they couldn't line up in I formations to get New England out of that look.

The Pistol is balanced which allows runs to either side. Pistol includes elements of Wing-T. The four basic Wing-T plays are Trap, Sweep, Counter and Boot. Trap is possible, but the steps are different from under center. It is slower to develop than from the I, but doable. The most feared Wing-T play is Counter, usually from the Wing. Counter and Sweep can be run effectively from Pistol, and Boot should be a staple from that formation.
                        You describe it better than I did. Solid stuff as always.

Comment

Working...
                        X