Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offseason analysis... Guys.. we did fantastic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason analysis... Guys.. we did fantastic!

I was sitting here thinking about it last night. And to be honest, I'm really excited with the offseason we had.. I'm even more excited that our D will have continuity retaining JDR that we haven't had for many years now..

Lets look at the beef we put on the line.

Sylvester Williams- Great value draft choice, will help choke the run and give us more up the middle pass rush. I give this whole selection a solid B

Then we grabbed someone a personal favorite FA of mine in Terrance Knighton. Pot roast puts the MASS in massive. The dude is huge and granted our line was better than the year prior.. we really missed Bunkley. Pot roast will give that presence if not better. With him Sly, and rotation of big VIck (who also played extremely well) I I'd like to see Jamaal Charles get passed that huge hunk of men. B+

Back it up a step and check out our line backing group..

Adding Shaun Phillips is a very interesting move, and it helps not put us in as big of a hole in the pass-rush department as we were without him. Von will take a lot of pressure of the man and I expect him to take full advantage. Great signing, I give it a C+

Back up even further and look at who we crowded our corners with..

DRC, big talent, huge potential. However he's gotten lazy. If you remember the guy was demanded along side a 1st round pick for Kevin Kolb.. (Cardinals really got screwed on that one). I feel like JDR and Fox will give DRC the discipline and motivation to hone his skills. If the kid lives up to his full potential he can be a top 5 corner in the league. As for now it's hard to say where his future holds. I give it a C+ with an A+ potential.

Swap over to the other side of the football for a minute.

One of my favorite additions of recent years. Wes Welker. More than just his play and his effectiveness in the slot, I love the mind that comes with him. Will instantly be a leader on the field. Someone that Thomas and Decker and look up to and gather around. Those 3 amigos will be deadly. And even more so Welker knows the Patriot's defense.. Advantage, Denver. A.

Drafting Montee Ball can go down as one of Elways best decisions, or one of his stinkers. So far Elway has had far more hits than misses (in regards to all incoming talent not just the draft). Montee is a hard runner and I can see him really developing into what Knowshon should have become. I like the pick but his wear and tear on his body concerns me. I give the kid a C and hope he gives us some good football.

------------

There were definitely more pickups than that this offseason; but those are the standouts. And to be honest. I feel like we did fantastic. We didn't blow all our cash in "huge" players such as the Philadelphia Dreamsicle Eagles. And we still got loads of value..

Big fan of our offseason guys. This year has a ton of promise.

You forgot the most important signing! Louis Vasquez. Automatic improvement on the oline and solidifies the interior
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I think the subtle things like 2 years in the same defence, a new but internal hire OC that is pretty aggressive, no big FA and filling holes. This s the epitome of continuity which is great for an already very good team.
      sigpic

Comment

I think we did very well in the offseason and we got a lot better all around. I am still nervous about losing Dum though, I don't think we have replaced his pass rush and I would still love to address that before the season. But all in all very excited about everything this FO has done, we just keep getting better. Thank you Mr. Elway.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

If Denver doesn't consider letting Dum go, they likely can't make all the other moves they made.

I suspect the pass rush will be just fine. Enough youth coming up, Von and Phillips will screw up looks for QB's, and the DB's will buy time for the front line. That last part makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
            I was sitting here thinking about it last night. And to be honest, I'm really excited with the offseason we had.. I'm even more excited that our D will have continuity retaining JDR that we haven't had for many years now..

Lets look at the beef we put on the line.

Sylvester Williams- Great value draft choice, will help choke the run and give us more up the middle pass rush. I give this whole selection a solid B

Then we grabbed someone a personal favorite FA of mine in Terrance Knighton. Pot roast puts the MASS in massive. The dude is huge and granted our line was better than the year prior.. we really missed Bunkley. Pot roast will give that presence if not better. With him Sly, and rotation of big VIck (who also played extremely well) I I'd like to see Jamaal Charles get passed that huge hunk of men. B+

Back it up a step and check out our line backing group..

Adding Shaun Phillips is a very interesting move, and it helps not put us in as big of a hole in the pass-rush department as we were without him. Von will take a lot of pressure of the man and I expect him to take full advantage. Great signing, I give it a C+

Back up even further and look at who we crowded our corners with..

DRC, big talent, huge potential. However he's gotten lazy. If you remember the guy was demanded along side a 1st round pick for Kevin Kolb.. (Cardinals really got screwed on that one). I feel like JDR and Fox will give DRC the discipline and motivation to hone his skills. If the kid lives up to his full potential he can be a top 5 corner in the league. As for now it's hard to say where his future holds. I give it a C+ with an A+ potential.

Swap over to the other side of the football for a minute.

One of my favorite additions of recent years. Wes Welker. More than just his play and his effectiveness in the slot, I love the mind that comes with him. Will instantly be a leader on the field. Someone that Thomas and Decker and look up to and gather around. Those 3 amigos will be deadly. And even more so Welker knows the Patriot's defense.. Advantage, Denver. A.

Drafting Montee Ball can go down as one of Elways best decisions, or one of his stinkers. So far Elway has had far more hits than misses (in regards to all incoming talent not just the draft). Montee is a hard runner and I can see him really developing into what Knowshon should have become. I like the pick but his wear and tear on his body concerns me. I give the kid a C and hope he gives us some good football.

------------

There were definitely more pickups than that this offseason; but those are the standouts. And to be honest. I feel like we did fantastic. We didn't blow all our cash in "huge" players such as the Philadelphia Dreamsicle Eagles. And we still got loads of value..

Big fan of our offseason guys. This year has a ton of promise.
            Like the optimism but I feel like handing out some extra credit.

Williams is an A all day long, that Sports Science feature along with a bio I read on his determination to succeed in college made me an immediate believer.

Phillips is a great value and although he may have lost a step his presence will have to be accounted for not only as a pass rusher but as a smack talker. He brings a lot of fire to the mix, a B-.

Cromartie is a little harder to grade and I agree with your sliding scale. The Jets are a Clown show and will continue to be so til they show Ryan the door. My hopes for him are that we have surrounded a remarkable athletic talent with the best group of players and coaches he has ever seen. He will rise to the occasion and I'm going to call this acquisition a solid B.

Welker is an A. Please stay healthy.

Montee Ball is the missing link, we need a Running Back that will stay healthy and pass block. Done! All this talk about high mileage is malarkey, the kid is just getting warmed up. B+

Now they're Fantastic...:thumb:
            [sigpic

Comment

Adding Shaun Phillips is a A grade imo.Call me crazy,but i think he is better than Dumervil for less money.

Phillips can do it all.He can rush the passer,guard TE's,he is good against the run, impact player,leader.For 1Mil base salary you can't beat it.

Comment

Losing Dumervil was the only real downside so far. And I like the draft, but not sure if I love it just yet.

Having said that, and with potential moves yet to be made (soon), I believe our offseason gets a B+ to A- rating. And if Montee and Williams make an impact, it's got A written all over it!

Lets review again.......we got one of the most elusive and sure-handed play-makers in Welker, one of the better Guards in Vasquez, and a potential NFL ready, young RB......which makes our O officially lethal!

And we shored up the middle of our Dline (finally), while signing Cro and Phillips....so even without Dumervil, we're better!!! And lets not forget, we have young, emerging talent on our D - Wolfe, Trevathan, Moore (yes he is getting better), along with a legit star - Miller, and some real talent in Woody and Harris, and Champ, who is smarter even if a step slower. And if one or more of the others steps it up (Ayers, Carter, Bolden), we are going to be very solid.

So, if we had a high level of balance last year, this could be off the charts.

And who knows what Trindon can do for us, after we've hit you hard from both sides!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                  I think the subtle things like 2 years in the same defence, a new but internal hire OC that is pretty aggressive, no big FA and filling holes. This s the epitome of continuity which is great for an already very good team.
                  We signed Wes Welker. You don't consider that big? haha
                  So cal Water Polo player Broncos fan

In his first start T.J Yates has tied Tony Romo for playoff wins.

Comment

Can't wait to see Shaun Phillips get in a smack talking session with Phillis Rivers. Should be epic.
                    sigpic
                    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

FA Grade: B+

Vasquez is quietly our best signing IMO. He is one of the premiere RGs in the league and he fills a need there with Kuper being injury-prone and Ramirez underperforming.

DRC is our boom-or-bust signing. He was a Pro Bowler in Arizona and thrived in man coverage. He struggled in Philly because of scheme and incorrect utilization, as well as effort and work-ethic issues. If JDR and Fox can get his head right, he could be a star in Denvet with his upside.

Wes Welker is the greatest slot receiver in the NFL and he bolsters our offense greatly. He is consistently productive and will add another dimension to our passing offense with Peyton Manning. This is the flashiest signing and also a very good one considering it is for 2 years and 12 million.

Terrance Knighton, aka Pot Roast, gives us more beef and talent on the defensive line. Knighton had his best years under JDR. Shaun Phillips always stood out to me whenever we played San Diego and he gives us more pass-rush at a cheap price.

Only downside here is the Dumervil fiasco. Ayers, however, showed signs of promise and starting ability whenever he subbed in for Dumervil (look at Carolina game). We also have Phillips, Beal, Jackson, and Smith behind Ayers as insurance if he doesn't play up to standards.

NFL Draft Grade: B

Sylvester "Sly" Williams was BPA in the first round and tops off an intimidating defensive line at the DT position. A rotation of Vickerson, Knighton, Williams, and even Unrein just gives me chills about how scary we can be in the interior. Sly was a 15-20 pick prospect, so we get good value with him at 28. Williams is a high character, high effort football player.

Montee Ball was another good selection. There are 83 excellent reasons why he should be a productive RB at the next level. I won't go into further detail, but Ball is a great RB and I think he will be starting at one point next season. If Ball is anything like his idol and his role model Terrell Davis, expect excellent things.

Kayvon Webster is an athletic, physical corner who should be given time to develop behind Champ, DRC, and Chris Harris. Quanterus Smith could be the steal of the draft if his knee heals up and he can get back to his ways of pass-rushing dominance that made him the Sun Belt Player of the Year. Tavarres King, the WR from Georgia, was a player that I was able to watch up close and often. He was UGA's most reliable receiver and made a lot of clutch catches (see last UGA drive in the SEC Championship). King had a good postseason, as he stood out at the Senior Bowl with his crisp, fluid route running and soft hands.

Virginia Tech OT Vinston Painter may have future upside, but he is a raw, athletic, developmental project that should be in a reserve role early in his career. Miami (OH) QB Zac Dysert fell all the way to the 7th round despite being labeled as a mid-round QB. He is an accurate QB in the short passing game and has the arm to make all the throws. He would be the Matt Flynn to Brock Osweiler's Aaron Rodgers, while Manning is the Brett Favre.

Conclusion:

We made the moves that mattered on both sides of the ball. After losing Bannan in FA, we re-signed Vickerson, signed Pot Roast, and drafted Sly Williams. In one offseason, we constructed one of the league's most formidable interior defensive line. We helped out our secondary, signing DRC and drafting Webster. We signed Phillips and drafted Smith to further boost our league-leading pass-rush. Offensively, we snagged Louis Vasquez, a RG on the verge of elite. We drafted college football's most productive running back Montee Ball out of Wisconsin. We signed the best slot receiver in the NFL with Wes Welker and we got UGA's finest in Tavarres King.

Overall Offseason Grade: B+

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                        FA Grade: B+

Vasquez is quietly our best signing IMO. He is one of the premiere RGs in the league and he fills a need there with Kuper being injury-prone and Ramirez underperforming.

DRC is our boom-or-bust signing. He was a Pro Bowler in Arizona and thrived in man coverage. He struggled in Philly because of scheme and incorrect utilization, as well as effort and work-ethic issues. If JDR and Fox can get his head right, he could be a star in Denvet with his upside.

Wes Welker is the greatest slot receiver in the NFL and he bolsters our offense greatly. He is consistently productive and will add another dimension to our passing offense with Peyton Manning. This is the flashiest signing and also a very good one considering it is for 2 years and 12 million.

Terrance Knighton, aka Pot Roast, gives us more beef and talent on the defensive line. Knighton had his best years under JDR. Shaun Phillips always stood out to me whenever we played San Diego and he gives us more pass-rush at a cheap price.

Only downside here is the Dumervil fiasco. Ayers, however, showed signs of promise and starting ability whenever he subbed in for Dumervil (look at Carolina game). We also have Phillips, Beal, Jackson, and Smith behind Ayers as insurance if he doesn't play up to standards.

NFL Draft Grade: B

Sylvester "Sly" Williams was BPA in the first round and tops off an intimidating defensive line at the DT position. A rotation of Vickerson, Knighton, Williams, and even Unrein just gives me chills about how scary we can be in the interior. Sly was a 15-20 pick prospect, so we get good value with him at 28. Williams is a high character, high effort football player.

Montee Ball was another good selection. There are 83 excellent reasons why he should be a productive RB at the next level. I won't go into further detail, but Ball is a great RB and I think he will be starting at one point next season. If Ball is anything like his idol and his role model Terrell Davis, expect excellent things.

Kayvon Webster is an athletic, physical corner who should be given time to develop behind Champ, DRC, and Chris Harris. Quanterus Smith could be the steal of the draft if his knee heals up and he can get back to his ways of pass-rushing dominance that made him the Sun Belt Player of the Year. Tavarres King, the WR from Georgia, was a player that I was able to watch up close and often. He was UGA's most reliable receiver and made a lot of clutch catches (see last UGA drive in the SEC Championship). King had a good postseason, as he stood out at the Senior Bowl with his crisp, fluid route running and soft hands.

Virginia Tech OT Vinston Painter may have future upside, but he is a raw, athletic, developmental project that should be in a reserve role early in his career. Miami (OH) QB Zac Dysert fell all the way to the 7th round despite being labeled as a mid-round QB. He is an accurate QB in the short passing game and has the arm to make all the throws. He would be the Matt Flynn to Brock Osweiler's Aaron Rodgers, while Manning is the Brett Favre.

Conclusion:

We made the moves that mattered on both sides of the ball. After losing Bannan in FA, we re-signed Vickerson, signed Pot Roast, and drafted Sly Williams. In one offseason, we constructed one of the league's most formidable interior defensive line. We helped out our secondary, signing DRC and drafting Webster. We signed Phillips and drafted Smith to further boost our league-leading pass-rush. Offensively, we snagged Louis Vasquez, a RG on the verge of elite. We drafted college football's most productive running back Montee Ball out of Wisconsin. We signed the best slot receiver in the NFL with Wes Welker and we got UGA's finest in Tavarres King.

Overall Offseason Grade: B+
                        Here is a lesson how to write a post. Well articulated utilizing professional language without any slangs or short cuts.

Of course, great summary of the acquisitions.

Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Losing Dumervil was the only real downside so far. And I like the draft, but not sure if I love it just yet.

Having said that, and with potential moves yet to be made (soon), I believe our offseason gets a B+ to A- rating. And if Montee and Williams make an impact, it's got A written all over it!

Lets review again.......we got one of the most elusive and sure-handed play-makers in Welker, one of the better Guards in Vasquez, and a potential NFL ready, young RB......which makes our O officially lethal!

And we shored up the middle of our Dline (finally), while signing Cro and Phillips....so even without Dumervil, we're better!!! And lets not forget, we have young, emerging talent on our D - Wolfe, Trevathan, Moore (yes he is getting better), along with a legit star - Miller, and some real talent in Woody and Harris, and Champ, who is smarter even if a step slower. And if one or more of the others steps it up (Ayers, Carter, Bolden), we are going to be very solid.

And who knows what Trindon can do for us, after we've hit you hard from both sides!!!

CanDB, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Well said. Even with the obligatory injuries that will always hit a team, Denver is pretty stacked (as long as Manning doesn't suffer said injuries).

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                              If Denver doesn't consider letting Dum go, they likely can't make all the other moves they made.

I suspect the pass rush will be just fine. Enough youth coming up, Von and Phillips will screw up looks for QB's, and the DB's will buy time for the front line. That last part makes a huge difference.
                              If anything I suspect the last assumption is backwards. The DL will make our DBs a lot better in defending passes as well as hawking them. Unless someone takes plays off the pass rush should be coming from everywhere now few QBs will be able to step up and make a throw without someone in their face.

How many sacks did VonDoom miss because they could step up and get the ball off.

I suspect very few of those this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X