Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people labeling Julius Thomas a bust ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tacmale View Post
    No, what is factual is he has suffered from a high ankle sprain keeping him off the field for 2 years. It was severe enough, that he actually had to have surgery to repair it. That is why he only has 1 catch as pro not because he can't play or hasn't played well enough to get on the field.

Now we will find out if he can actually play or not, seeing as his surgery did what it was supposed to do. I would not be surprised, if you can believe what coaches say about him, that he will turn out to be very close to a Shannon Sharpe type of tight end.

Only time will tell at this point what kind of player he will be.

Your labeling him a bust, do to circumstances beyond his control does not make it true.
    A player who has the talent but cannot stay healthy vs. a player who doesn't have the talent but can stay healthy have the same end result. Neither help your team win. While I will agree that he had an injury that was beyond his control the end result is simple. If you want to win you need players who are both good at their jobs and can stay healthy. So far in the OTA's and past seasons he has shown he can be good at his job but has failed at the later. I believe the term bust is premature in this case but will certainly be mentioned if things don't change and fast.

Not everyone is cut out for contact sports. That is OK. Some peoples bodies can absorb the punishment and others cannot.

Comment

I think he should take Tamme's spot this year ftr

Comment

Hey guys sorry if this has already been posted, I know there are many threads and articles on Julius Thomas but I didn't see this particular article anywhere so here ya go.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...a-0f914df2bb83

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – It would have been easy to dismiss Julius Thomas’ deep reception down the seam as just another catch in practice – even though it was the offense’s longest gain of the Broncos’ 2013 OTA session that day.

But for Thomas, it was something unusual – as it would be for anyone at his position.

“That would probably be one of my favorites, because as tight ends, we don't get that many down-the-field catches,” Thomas said. “I'm always like, 'Man, if I could just get a 50-yard pass one time, I'd feel great.'”

But it was more than just a play that sent onlookers to their smartphones to furiously tweet the news of his big play to the world beyond the walls of the Broncos’ practice fields. When he came down with Peyton Manning’s deep pass in stride, he provided the strongest evidence to date of the 6-foot-5, 255-pound tight end’s potential when he’s not hampered by injuries.

“He is a great athlete. A big target,” said Manning. “If you can’t complete a ball to Julius, as a quarterback, something is wrong with you.”

As Thomas made the play easier for Manning, the same was true in reverse.

“It's not very hard to run downfield and catch a ball that's right on the money,” Thomas said. “I guess we're all expected to be at that level when you put the jersey on. It's whenever the quarterbacks give me a chance, just make the catch and see what I can do afterwards."

Even before the notion of Manning as a Bronco was a gleam in John Elway and John Fox’s eyes, Thomas showed this potential in the 2011 preseason. He was poised for a major role as his rookie season developed, in spite of having just one year of college football playing experience at Portland State. But a high ankle sprain suffered in a Week 2 win over Cincinnati derailed those plans, and through a slow recovery, setbacks and eventual surgery, Thomas’ progress stalled.

He was so hindered that the May 20 practice represented the first OTA of his career, having missed last year’s following surgery and the 2011 sessions because of the NFL lockout, which canceled all offseason work that year. Not only is he able to practice, but he’s able to work on the offense with Manning, as Joel Dreessen’s recent knee surgery moved all other tight ends up a notch.

It’s the most extensive work Thomas has had with Manning, which has forced him to dig deeper into learning the offense to catch up and get in sync with the veteran quarterback. This work would have come last year if not for the recurring ankle problems; Thomas took part in some informal sessions with Manning prior to 2012 OTAs before being told he needed more surgery.

“You're going in, Peyton Manning's here, and you have some time to work with him, and then you find out a week and a half later that you've got to have surgery on something that's already been making you frustrated,” Thomas said.

The Broncos moved on, and when Thomas was finally cleared to practice, he couldn’t catch up. Most of his practice work in 2012 was on the scout team with backup Brock Osweiler. That might pay dividends in future years, but Thomas wanted to move up now, and didn’t have much of a chance.

Not that it would have been the best thing for him, anyway. Although he practiced throughout the 2012 season, his ankle was still healing. Thomas said the ankle didn’t stop bothering him until last December – eight months after his surgery and 15 months after he first suffered the injury. Freed from the shackles of pain, Thomas is a changed player.

“I always tease (tight ends coach) Clancy (Barone) and say, 'I feel like I'm out here on two good ankles now.' It definitely doesn't hinder me,” Thomas said. “I don't even think about it anymore."

And as long as Thomas stays healthy, he’ll be evaluated on what he still can be, not on what he was when playing through pain.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
          Demaryius went off vs the Seahawks his rookie year though. His potential success was tangible in that he actually proved he can play.

Julius has 1 catch in his best game and hasn't shown anything in a game.
          So as soon as Julius Thomas has ONE GOOD GAME, he's not a bust in your eyes anymore?

Seems TOTALLY reasonable.

Comment

Hahaha, dude, he literally has 1 catch as a pro...

He is a bust at this point~ he has done absolutely, completely nothing, and that is undeniable. It is factual.

As I posted previously, he can change that. There are late bloomers in the NFL all over. I don't see why you're getting so butthurt over it.
            You didn't address anything else I said.

I think most people would avoid calling ANY 4th round draft pick a bust, as the expectation is pretty tempered. That effect is compounded even more when you account for circumstances outside of the player's control (i.e. injury).

No butthurt here. Someone has to combat the kneejerk, hyperbolic evaluation of players that seems to be the status quo around here.

Jarvis Moss a bust. Ashley Lelie was a bust. A 4th round draft pick who's had a nagging injury and hasn't had an opportunity isn't a bust. You can continue with your simple ways of thinking as much as you wish, but I don't think I'm alone in wanting to look at the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by IBeWriteGood View Post
              So as soon as Julius Thomas has ONE GOOD GAME, he's not a bust in your eyes anymore?

Seems TOTALLY reasonable.
              Ehhhhh that's not even close to what I posted. What I posted was more along the lines of "[Demaryius's] potential success was tangible".

So... Yeah... Nice try...

Comment

Hahaha, dude, he literally has 1 catch as a pro...

He is a bust at this point~ he has done absolutely, completely nothing, and that is undeniable. It is factual.

As I posted previously, he can change that. There are late bloomers in the NFL all over. I don't see why you're getting so butthurt over it.
                Bust...

I believe the term you all are looking for is unproven....Because as was stated in order to be a "bust" you'd have to have high expectations and failed to live up to them. As a 4th round pick there were no expectations (aside from fans who always over rate players they like)
                sigpic

Comment

Okay, it's clear any of us are on the same page here.

What would everyone define a "bust" football draft pick as?

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    Bust...

I believe the term you all are looking for is unproven....Because as was stated in order to be a "bust" you'd have to have high expectations and failed to live up to them. As a 4th round pick there were no expectations (aside from fans who always over rate players they like)
                    I didn't see your post before I posted but its clear my definition is different than others I guess..

I simply see a "bust" as a draft pick that doesn't contribute to the football team in his career. And at this point Julius hasn't contributed to the Broncos for anything more than 5 yards and a reception. So by the transitive property or some crap like that, he is in my mind a "bust", at this point.

As I asked in my other post, what's everybody else's opinion on the definition of the word?

Comment

Demaryius went off vs the Seahawks his rookie year though. His potential success was tangible in that he actually proved he can play.

Well but when you are injured and/or not in the game kinda hard to do anything. To label him a bust though is just stupid...Unproven? Sure. Bust? How can you even label someone who wasn't a first day draft pick a bust? I dunno...that term is used way to often and 9 times out of 10 does not fit at all.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                        Well but when you are injured and/or not in the game kinda hard to do anything. To label him a bust though is just stupid...Unproven? Sure. Bust? How can you even label someone who wasn't a first day draft pick a bust? I dunno...that term is used way to often and 9 times out of 10 does not fit at all.
                        Obviously your definition is a lot different than mine then.

Me and you will just have to agree to disagree because clearly you are under the impression being a "bust" is some kiss of death only JaMarcus Russell deserves.

Comment

Obviously your definition is a lot different than mine then.

Me and you will just have to agree to disagree because clearly you are under the impression being a "bust" is some kiss of death only JaMarcus Russell deserves.
                          Yea I guess so since my definition doesn't include writing someone off and giving them the "bust" label just because they've had a bad qb and injuries to deal with their first year in the league and then spent the second year injured

Your whole "1 NFL catch thing" is extremely unfair seeing as he's only been active in 9 total games and only started one....

I mean you do realize right that this years OTA's are the first he's ever been a part of right? Because in 2012 he was out after surgery to fix his ankles because of the high ankle sprain he got in week 2 of 2011 (the same game that his one and only start) The other games he was in he wasn't very effective because high ankle sprains make it hard for a WR/TE to do much of anything effectively.

He missed a lot of valuable practice last year at the begining because of his injury and he was showing a lot in practice at the end of last year but Fox was hesitant to use him because we were already a playoff threat and he didn't want to mess with chemistry.

So yes our definitions are different because mine aren't unreasonable....
                          Last edited by Freyaka; 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yea, Demaryius went off in a game during his rookie season. There are a lot of rookies in NFL History who had a game where " They went off". It doesn't mean anything. I've always liked DT and been a fan of him, but everyone was labeling him as a bust just because he was hurt for most of his 1st 2 seasons. People were saying we should have taken Dez. Now everyone is back to saying Demaryius is better. Wishy Washy fans

But with that said, its still hard to label a 4th round pick as a bust.
                            :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

Demaryius was a first round pick though. You expect first round picks to contribute immediately, you don't expect that same contribution from a 4th round pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X