Does the journey matter anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the journey matter anymore?

Nowadays, with SB rings being the only thing that matters in fan's eyes, how much does the journey of a team in a year where it does not win the SB matter to you as a fan?

Does there come a point where your expectations end up so high that you forget to acknowledge the journey it took to get to a postseason berth in the first place if it does not end up in a SB ring?

Thoughts???

Not at all, well not really anyway. Look at the 2011 season. It was a hell of a ride. That season was all about the journey, but I suppose the expectations weren't there. 2012's amazing journey was marred by the flukey way it ended. It didn't take away from the journey though, for me at least. We've been lucky as a franchise and as a fanbase to have as many great seasons as we have had... even if most haven't ended in a Super Bowl victory.

Comment

Last season was awesome, but ended in disappointment. 2011 started horribly, but was exciting, and we even won a playoff game. Both were great in their own rights. Years down the road, both will be memorable.

This season I have higher expectations than before last season. Anything short of a SB (barring injury to Manning or Miller) will be a disappointment. That doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the season, the stories, the plays, the drama and controversies, etc that happen throughout the season. Even if the last game is disappointing, the season can still be awesome.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-the-se...n-A-man-s-goal
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I have to admit, as happy as I've been over getting Welker, Knighton and DRC, I had to step back and say with all of this we better win a ring this season. I can't remember being more devastated than after losing to the Ravens. I was literally crushed because we had such a good run and it was suddenly over. I guess I was just hurt, but I felt like who cares about the regular season, we have to succeed in the playoffs..... That was a couple months ago, the journey is very important. I'll be in front of a TV and hopefully in a stadium or two this year watching every game.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
            Nowadays, with SB rings being the only thing that matters in fan's eyes, how much does the journey of a team in a year where it does not win the SB matter to you as a fan?

Does there come a point where your expectations end up so high that you forget to acknowledge the journey it took to get to a postseason berth in the first place if it does not end up in a SB ring?

Thoughts???
            The journey is everything! Just as the sun set on our last season as we speed walked to the hotel trying to get some feeling back in our feet. So will it rise as my beloved Broncos take the field this fall.

The loss to the Ravens was as tough as any I've endured, there was no consolation in having had top seeding or reflecting on the numerous victories of the past season. But time heals all wounds, it really wasn't until after the draft that I started feeling optimistic again. I remembered seasons where you had to hope long shot players who didn't have a chance were going to defy the odds and make spectacular plays. I remembered watching coaches promising some adjustments and FA additions were going to be all it took to turn last season around. I remember listening to radio and TV for days (before NFL network and internet) hoping to hear anything positive about my team.

You have to be careful about judging a team's fans by a few internet posters some whose join dates coincide with player signings. My passion for this team goes back several decades and believe me there were times I was not of fan of what we were putting on that field. Then there were the Great years and the many players I will always appreciate for the wonderful memories. Most of their autographs reside on my 1998 Superbowl Helmet, my youngest daughter and obviously hardcore Bronco fan already claimed that one.

Superbowl rings are nice, Ray Lewis has 2 and I don't think he's fit to carry Champ's jock strap. I would love to see some of the players like Champ who have give their all to my team get the recognition they deserve. I will live and die with this team every Sunday just like I have for teams that weren't quite as "Stacked" We live for the Journey.

[sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
              The journey is everything! Just as the sun set on our last season as we speed walked to the hotel trying to get some feeling back in our feet. So will it rise as my beloved Broncos take the field this fall.

The loss to the Ravens was as tough as any I've endured, there was no consolation in having had top seeding or reflecting on the numerous victories of the past season. But time heals all wounds, it really wasn't until after the draft that I started feeling optimistic again. I remembered seasons where you had to hope long shot players who didn't have a chance were going to defy the odds and make spectacular plays. I remembered watching coaches promising some adjustments and FA additions were going to be all it took to turn last season around. I remember listening to radio and TV for days (before NFL network and internet) hoping to hear anything positive about my team.

You have to be careful about judging a team's fans by a few internet posters some whose join dates coincide with player signings. My passion for this team goes back several decades and believe me there were times I was not of fan of what we were putting on that field. Then there were the Great years and the many players I will always appreciate for the wonderful memories. Most of their autographs reside on my 1998 Superbowl Helmet, my youngest daughter and obviously hardcore Bronco fan already claimed that one.

Superbowl rings are nice, Ray Lewis has 2 and I don't think he's fit to carry Champ's jock strap. I would love to see some of the players like Champ who have give their all to my team get the recognition they deserve. I will live and die with this team every Sunday just like I have for teams that weren't quite as "Stacked" We live for the Journey.

What a beautifully said post. Gave me chills. I too live for the journey. I wasn't able to get over the Balt loss for weeks. I would wake up and it would be the first thing on my mind. But then FA and the draft began and the pain faded with hopes and dreams of this upcoming journey. I will always follow my Broncos, no matter where the journey leads, to the top of the mountain or to the depths of the despair. Always. It's so hard to explain to others that don't understand the love I feel for my team.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

For me it is the journey and the end result. I always enjoy the season long journey but I am disappointed if we do not end well. Then I wake up and do it all again, year after year, decade after decade.

Journey - DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!!

sigpic
                Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

To me I believe journey means a lot. It is the culmination of all the experiences and lessons learned along the way. The question to me becomes wether that journey helps you become a better person, player and team along the way and gets you closer to your goals or wether it leads you to be more distant and divided and further from them. I also believe that personal perspective and how you choose to view things regardless of where you are at or what is happening has a big effect.
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

In 2012 I was a lot more relaxed/confident during the regular season from the comeback win against the Chargers onwards. I felt deflated after the loss to the Ravens, and felt the season ended prematurely.

In 2011 I was a lot more energised/excited during the regular season after the almost comeback win against the Chargers onwards. I felt somewhat content after the loss to the Patriots due to how much of a ride the season had been, and felt lucky that the season hadn't already ended before it did.

Comment

The Journey does indeed matter. Look at the journey we had trying to get back to the big game. This journey started with Bryan Greese's first year as a starting OB. This journey has been nearly 15 years and has taken many shapes along the way. It has seen promising young players fall into obscurity, Ashley Lelie comes to mind. It has watch as Denver's most gifted and decorated RB is forced into retirement and never get into the HOF while being on the ballot almost every season (no Name is necessary here) as the entire country knows his plight.

This journey has watch as two of the most gifted QBs to even play the game light up score boards across the league, leaving the Broncos trying to scavenge the pieces to try and counter the fast paced attack of Manning and Brady. Which brings me to Champ becoming a Bronco. Champ was part of a three way trade that sent Clinton Portas to Washington. We in return got Champ from Washington and John Lynch from Tampa, all in an attempt to handle the passing attack of Patriots and Colts. We have watched as a young promising OC came to Denver to play the role of an often over his head HC try and dismantle the team in order to build in his image.

We have had our share of peeks and valleys and have seen the AFC championship game only once in that time frame. We watched as the Broncos sunk into the depths of nothingness. We watched Pat Bowlan reach out to the retired QB that saved the Broncos in the past. The name John Elway once again becomes a common house hold name among Bronco fans as Elway guided us in a lock out season to the play offs in just his first year back. Elway was the man that brought one of the most successful QBs in NFL history into Denver That QB led us to a 13-3 record with a first round bye.

We now come to the present with high expectations and along the way we fans have shared in the ups and downs of years past. we basked in the glory and sunk together in defeat. We fans have formed a family so to say, that would not have been possible without the journey.
                      sigpic

Comment

The journey in my mind has never really mattered. You hear it from players all the time their goal is the SB , coaches are the same. The journey provides memories to look back upon, and stuff for the media to re-air until it becomes annoying...

For instance the Patriots that went undefeated in the regular season in 2007 didnt win a SB that season was not what they wanted and i guarantee they would trade a SB trophy for a couple loses in season.

If you are a legitimate contender for that given season, the journey is nothing but practice or preparation to get to the playoffs and win a SB if you fall short it is a disapointment. we were a #1 seed last year and everyone sees last year as a disapointment something to use as fuel to get better.

Comment

You're talking to the fanbase that not too long ago was brainwashed by clowns named neckbeard and KO8pectate into thinking a change at quarterback was ridiculous because Orton gave us the best chance to win over the younger projects. That better chance did not include a Super Bowl, so if the majority now say it's the end and not the journey that matters, I call hypocrisy!
                          Last edited by Brohemoth; 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

There's a concept; the most common offense one commits is not meeting other's expectations.

What you expect, determines your level of satisfaction.

If you expected a great playoff run & got it (or if that exceeded your expectation), you are sated. If you expected an SB ring, you aren't.

It's really not any deeper than that. That's my take on it.
                            "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by DENVER BRONCO56 View Post
                              The journey in my mind has never really mattered. You hear it from players all the time their goal is the SB , coaches are the same. The journey provides memories to look back upon, and stuff for the media to re-air until it becomes annoying...

For instance the Patriots that went undefeated in the regular season in 2007 didnt win a SB that season was not what they wanted and i guarantee they would trade a SB trophy for a couple loses in season.

If you are a legitimate contender for that given season, the journey is nothing but practice or preparation to get to the playoffs and win a SB if you fall short it is a disappointment. we were a #1 seed last year and everyone sees last year as a disappointment something to use as fuel to get better.
                              If your using last season as fuel, then are you not using the journey as motivation? Proving once again that the journey does matter. Yes the SB is the goal, but as with all goals, it starts with a single step. In order to get to the SB, you must first endure the journey. The Journey is what fuels off season changes. You also stated that the Journey is nothing more than practice or preparation. I submit, you have no chance at a SB without the practice and preparation. So therefore you will also have to admit that the Journey is just as important as the goal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X