Denver Broncos Cap Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos Cap Situation

I am going to use this thread to keep track of the elusive amount of cap space that we have left.
    I will keep on trying to update it and do the best i can to keep it current.
    Please chime in for any reason. It's never going to be perfect because i don't have their books and im only going on what i see on the net.
    The total cap space we have to spend is 123 million this year. Now we actually have more because we have carriover from prior years, but thats not the point.

Our total cap space as of this time on June 14, 2013 (after McGahee cut and after Montee/Webster rookie signings) is

$12,448,572

Thats pretty good!:thumb:

We just gained approx 2.5 million on the cap by cutting Willis McGahee. He had a 3 million cap with a 2.5 million dollar salary with a 500k prorated bonus this year. By cutting him we saved 2.5 million this year. 500K of the 3 million cap we will take a dead money hit this year and we will also take another 500k dead money hit in 2014 for Willis (because its a post June 1 cut).
    Last edited by johntbronco; 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM.

Montee Ball and Kavon Webster signed yesterday... So this is an ESTIMATE ONLY of what their contracts will be like and how much it will take off the cap. (Don't worry, its minimal!) There will be slight diffences in their negotiation of actual amounts. (Which hasn't come out yet)

Montee Ball - will recieve somewhere around a 900k bonus which will be prorated over his 4 year contract
    2013- 405k salary + 225k prorated bonus = 630k
    2014- 566k salary + 225k prorated bonus = 791k
    2014- 728k salary + 225k prorated bonus = 953k
    2015- 889k salary + 225k prorated bonus = 1114k

Kavon Webster will recieve somewhere around 540k bonus which will be prorated over his 4 year contract
    2013 - 405k salary + 135k prorated bonus = 540k
    2014 - 495k salary + 135k prorated bonus = 630k
    2015 - 585k salary + 135k prorated bonus = 720k
    2016 - 675k salary + 135k prorated bonus = 810k

What will this do to our cap space?

Well....they only count the top 51 players when figuring out the cap space. So, the 50th and 51st player right now make 480k.
    so....
    Montee ball for 2013 will give us a 630k cap space and we will subtract out the 50th players salary of 480k
    so...Montee adds only 150K to the 2013 cap space.

Kavon Webster for 2013 will give us a 540k cap space and we will subtract out the 51st players salary of 480k
    so...Kavon adds only 60k to the 2013 cap space.

$12,658,572 as of Jun 13th after McGahee cut
    - 150,000 montee ball cap space difference
    - 60,000 kavon webster cap space difference
    ---------------
    New cap space ESTIMATE is
    $12,448,572
    Last edited by johntbronco; 06-14-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Damn, are you saying that we could have offered Dumervil enough money to keep him this year?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
        Damn, are you saying that we could have offered Dumervil enough money to keep him this year?

Yes! I think before the fax issue he was about to sign for 8 milion + in 2013? And we probably wouldnt have picked up Shaun Phillips if that didn't happen....so subtract out a little less than a million off of that.

Comment

It is impressive to have our current roster and still have 12+mil in cap space. Regardless of who's at fault, I'm not a fan of the current status of Clady. Other than that Elway and company have done a incredible job this summer. Dumervil wasn't realistic and created that whole situation, I'm not putting that Elway. I still would like to bring in a MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
            It is impressive to have our current roster and still have 12+mil in cap space. Regardless of who's at fault, I'm not a fan of the current status of Clady. Other than that Elway and company have done a incredible job this summer. Dumervil wasn't realistic and created that whole situation, I'm not putting that Elway. I still would like to bring in a MLB.
            Since you brought up Clady, lets look at what could happen to the cap with clady.

Right now this year, we already have slotted for Ryan Clady to take up $9,828,000 money in 2013 all guaranteed due to his pending franchise tag.

Ryan wants a long-term deal and from what others say on this site is he wants a good amount of guaranteed money in his long-term contract.

He turned down a 10/yr 5 year contract already last summer.

He thinks that he deserves more in the range of 10.5-11.5 million similar to Joe Thomas and Jason Peters.

The problem is the contract market has crashed and he will have a hard time to get that money. Not saying it wont happen.

My guess he will get a long term contract and it will be somewhere between 9 and 10 million.

We are already slotted this year for Clady to take almost 10 millon of cap money this year. So, doing his long-term deal will probably have minimal affect on our cap space.
            Example: 6 year 10 million per year contract
            2013 Ryan Clady 10 million - 9.825 millon already slotted= 175k difference
            which would mean we would only have 175k less room in our 2013 cap.
            Last edited by johntbronco; 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

If Mays gets cut that frees up a few mil as well. Hope we get Clady signed this year so it's not a waste of cap by using the franchise tag.

Comment

Originally posted by MHOC View Post
                If Mays gets cut that frees up a few mil as well. Hope we get Clady signed this year so it's not a waste of cap by using the franchise tag.

If we cut Joe Mays today:

2013 salary = 4,000,000 + 166,666 bonus previously paid = 4,166,666 cap figure this year.

if we cut him, we will get a cap savings of $3,333,332 and will incur $833,334 of dead money.

$3,333,332 of cap savings and then we would have to add another player to the 51 player salary of 480k
                ---------------------
                so... we would get $2,853,332 of cap savings if we cut him.

I've heard he is still injured and i think they are hanging on to him until he gets a clean bill of health. Thats really what they did to McGahee.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
                  Eh need to just let it go. He probably was going to be replaced eventually anyways bud
                  A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                    Eh need to just let it go. He probably was going to be replaced eventually anyways bud
                    Agree. IMO i think we are better off. Dumberville was good, but not great.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                      Agree. IMO i think we are better off. Dumberville was good, but not great.
                      Agreed. I also think Ayers is going to surprise some people. He quietly had a good year last year and now as the starter should make just a big a impact as dumervil. His presence definitely will be felt in the run game
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                        On Clady the holdup was guaranteed money I believe. Not sure how much he's wanting now we will see how it plays out.

Comment

Cap situation is decent but a good chunk of that will go to guys due new deals this year and next.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                            If we cut Joe Mays today:

2013 salary = 4,000,000 + 166,666 bonus previously paid = 4,166,666 cap figure this year.

if we cut him, we will get a cap savings of $3,333,332 and will incur $833,334 of dead money.

$3,333,332 of cap savings and then we would have to add another player to the 51 player salary of 480k
                            ---------------------
                            so... we would get $2,853,332 of cap savings if we cut him.

I've heard he is still injured and i think they are hanging on to him until he gets a clean bill of health. Thats really what they did to McGahee.
                            Joe Mays has been getting reps at minicamp. I think they want someone to legitimately step up before they let him go. They've been talking up Nate Irving as the starter but I'm pretty sure all 4 MLBs are getting reps with the 1st team.

Comment

With the cap as is I see the team keeping Mays around. If we needed the money then he would likely be gone, but with no real real glaring holes to fill I think the team might sit put on him.
                              Hopefully the team gets something worked out with Clady, but if not its not a desperation situation. He is getting a nice salary this season and next (franchise again if needed) and the terms (reported) dont seem that far off

Makes me wonder if there is another pass rusher they might target in FA or after the next round of team cuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X