Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montee Ball, our version of Doug Martin???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montee Ball, our version of Doug Martin???

I haven't been able to keep up with the team at usual pace due to being busy, but a thought crossed my mind today folks.

I've had a chance to sit down and watch film, albeit youtube cut ups. However I must say Montee Ball can be scary good, the dude can flat out grind defenses into dust. I believe despite a heavy workload at Wisc. I think he will continue to be productive as a pro.

Why? Doug Martin!

My opinion is not concrete fact, but I personally believe us Bronco fans are about to witness the emergence of the next great Bronco back in my man "Money Ball". Ball and Martin are virtually identical in nearly every way in regards to size, athletic ability, and running style.

Martin is an explosive runner, make that a good decisive runner with above average speed and great lateral elusiveness on cuts. His style isn't over bruising which translated well to the pro level,at least so far Although there's one area I think Ball outclasses Martin a bit and that's leg drive and finishing runs.

Don't get me wrong Martin was a legit hoss at times last year, but Ball is just an animal. You just get a sense watching him of a guy running with hunger and fire. Moreno and Hillman are coming along nicely, but Montee Ball appears much more patient and hard nosed than both.

TD, Lesean McCoy, and Frank Gore have been mentioned to me as the best comparison to Ball as a runner, but in my opinion it's Doug Martin in Tampa. Here's some footage of the two, you all feel free to judge for yourselves...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1Nzdb2xU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVgEIMKr0U
    sigpic

Maybe if Ball bulks back up to 230 lbs, but I don't see it. Martin is definitely more of a power running back. He was 2nd in the NFL in yards after contact with 683 yards. Montee Ball shows power when he runs, but it's generally when he can get the defender off balance first. I think LeSean McCoy is a much more accurate comparison

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      Maybe if Ball bulks back up to 230 lbs, but I don't see it. Martin is definitely more of a power running back. He was 2nd in the NFL in yards after contact with 683 yards. Montee Ball shows power when he runs, but it's generally when he can get the defender off balance first. I think LeSean McCoy is a much more accurate comparison
      I don't think Martin is the most accurate comparison, but I don't think McCoy is any closer. McCoy has arguably the best lateral quickness in the NFL to go with breakaway speed. Ball is quick and is capable of going for big runs but it isn't his strength.

If I had to take a crack at comparing him to somebody it would probably be Matt Forte, with balance being their strengths and being well rounded in other aspects as well.
      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

I think Ball is closer to an Arian Foster type of player, or maybe even a Shaun Alexander if you want to go back a bit further. Not the best athletic specimen in terms of burst and speed, but has great vision and a knack for getting in the end zone.

Comment

Im not much for comparisons, let montee be montee.
          His priorities will be much different than all the other NFL starting running backs.
          actually running the ball will be the #3 or 4 priority for Ball or any other back in the bronco offense!
          #1. will be blockiong
          #2 will be blitz recognition so that he can successfully execute #1 priority.
          #3 will be catching the ball
          and #4 will be running the ball.
          Compare that list of priorities with OTHER NFL teams and backs.
          Ak Hillman why he did not get more PT.
          TD was drafted to be a BLOCKER, I hope and pray that M-ball can remind me of TD, that would be awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
            I think Ball is closer to an Arian Foster type of player, or maybe even a Shaun Alexander if you want to go back a bit further. Not the best athletic specimen in terms of burst and speed, but has great vision and a knack for getting in the end zone.
            I can see it in the areas you name but Foster does not run with as much tenacity as Ball. Ball bounces off tackles and fights for more yards on the sideline, Foster cuts defenders' legs at the end of runs and uses the sideline to avoid contact.
            Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

Eh you're pushing it.

For starters Montee isn't as good as a prospect as Martin was out of college, let alone they're not very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                I disagree TD was listed at 5"11 210lbs

Ball= 5"10 215lbs

...and I doubt many would classify TD as a finesse runner or light and needing to bulk up. Neither is Ball, like TD he makes one cut and runs "downhill" meaning North and South off of the plant foot, not dancing there's a big difference. I consider McCoy more of a speedy homerun threat than Ball, but Ball is the more physical runner of the two for sure. The notion of absence of leg drive is false too, honestly I disagree he pushed the pile and very rarely went backward after or during contact.

Meanwhile Martin is only an inch shorter than Ball at 5"9 215lbs all #s via NFL.com fyi.
                sigpic

Comment

Style-wise...let me reiterate that, STYLE-WISE...I see a slower (but not slow) Ladanian Tomlinson type...not exactly like LT, he's more power and less speed but I see similarities

I believe he's faster than his 40 time indicates as well, he has adequate speed imo...he looks like a damn good back to me, I expect big things from him

My onlyy concern with Ball is that his line may have made him look better than he is...because it seems as though he has amazing vision but there's usually a decent hole...that could be a big deception with him but I hope it's not and he really is every bit as good as he looks on film
                  Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ bronco View Post
                    Im not much for comparisons, let montee be montee.
                    His priorities will be much different than all the other NFL starting running backs.
                    actually running the ball will be the #3 or 4 priority for Ball or any other back in the bronco offense!
                    #1. will be blockiong
                    #2 will be blitz recognition so that he can successfully execute #1 priority.
                    #3 will be catching the ball
                    and #4 will be running the ball.
                    Compare that list of priorities with OTHER NFL teams and backs.
                    Ak Hillman why he did not get more PT.
                    TD was drafted to be a BLOCKER, I hope and pray that M-ball can remind me of TD, that would be awesome !
                    Dude...? Where do you get this?

Comment

Reminds me more of Gore of any active back.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post

My onlyy concern with Ball is that his line may have made him look better than he is...because it seems as though he has amazing vision but there's usually a decent hole...that could be a big deception with him but I hope it's not and he really is every bit as good as he looks on film
                        He lost Konz and Zietler from his line entering his senior year and still produced really good last year. Even Russell Wilson from a scheme standpoint.

He was pretty much facing 7-8 in the box every game.

I can understand it though.

Comment

Yep. I saw LT' too, a lot on "jump cuts". Ball runs just as patient as LT, but just isn't an elite burner. But Hey a guy by the name of Emmitt Smith was too small and too slow as well according to scouts too. Just a thought.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckin' Bronco View Post
                            Yep. I saw LT' too, a lot on "jump cuts". Ball runs just as patient as LT, but just isn't an elite burner. But Hey a guy by the name of Emmitt Smith was too small and too slow as well according to scouts too. Just a thought.
                            Yeah his vision and jump cuts totally remind me of LT...his running style as a whole even. ..glad someone else sees it too cuz i've literally watched every YouTube vid of him and I kept seeing LT ...I think he's more elusive and fast than perceived just because a bad 40 but obviously not LT fast

Comment

To be clear tho (didn't know you were OP)

I don't see much Doug Martin in him...I see kinda where you were goin with it but I wouldn't consider them similar

Comment

Working...
                              X