No announcement yet.

Miller's dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just a mental thing right now, he still falls for little fakes here and there but he'll get better, he just needs more reps. I'd like for us to play more zone coverage because I think that's where he'll really excel but we can't do that until we get Joe Mays out of the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
      Von was rarely asked to cover in college. So he is still learning a bit. And if I remember correctly I saw him covering Welker and not even corners can cover him.
      I guess I am seeing poor pass coverage from Von, whereas others are seeing average coverage, but I am positive that Von can't cover Welker under any circumstances. Chris Harris is a very good slot corner and he didnt have a chance.
      Just don't lose baby

Comment

He'll get better at it but I doubt he'll ever be great in coverage.

Comment

Vonn sucks in coverage...Mostly due to a lack of experience. But lets be honest if there is a pass play I dont want him anywhere near a receiver I want him rushing the QB
          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
            This speaks to what I was asking in my originial post. He was not known as run defender in college, but he is now one of the top run defenders in the league. What physical attribute(s) does he lack to make him "great" in coverage?
            Just don't lose baby

Comment

Originally posted by orange kool aid View Post
              This speaks to what I was asking in my originial post. He was not known as run defender in college, but he is now one of the top run defenders in the league. What physical attribute(s) does he lack to make him "great" in coverage?
              I dont think it is physical. He has the tools. I think it is mental which is just as important as having the skills. He still bites on fakes and doesnt know how to stay with the receiver yet even though he is fast.

Comment

Originally posted by orange kool aid View Post
                With all of his athleticism, one wouldn't expect him to be good in coverage, but he is consistently beat (badly) in coverage and he only seems capable of minor assignments like the flat. Does he have the correct attributes (hip fluidity etc) to ever be good in coverage? I know that most will say it doesn't matter, he should be rushing every down, so this brings me to part two...

If Von can't cover on first and second down, it basically means that we are running a 5-2 defense. That is very difficult to run and be great on defense in a passing league. If we are staying in a 4-3, does Von need to put on ten pounds and move to end? He seems to be fine with his hand in the dirt and at making tackles in the run game (although I will acknowledge the difference between doing it from the LB position vs. DE).
                It is an experience issue, not a physical one.

He'll get much better at it over time, being good in coverage is a skill that takes most LB's several years to master.

Besides, we're better off rushing him ....
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                  Why ?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
                    Why ?
                    I don't think that he doesn't have the skills (because he is definitely athletic enough to stay with people) but I think that he is so good at rushing the quarterback that he just won't see the snaps necessary to become "great in coverage."

In guaranteed passing downs, he will only ever drop in coverage as a surprise attack.

Comment

Working...
                    X