No announcement yet.

The Manning "Meter" - (a stats thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Manning "Meter" - (a stats thread)

On the Indianaplis Star, there used to be the "Manning Meter" where they kept track of his movement up the career charts etc. In that spirit, I'd like to provide this thread. Now, of course, I know that winning the SB, is far more important that career stats, but please allow me and the other Manning slappies to have a bit of fun.

So, here we are through the 2012 season, and let's look at where Manning stands career wise:
    Top five shown, active only shown after the top 5, for all categories:

Yards:
    Favre - 71,838
    Marino - 61,361
    Manning - 59,487
    Elway - 51,475
    Moon - 49,325
    Brees - 45,919
    Brady - 44,806

Completions:
    Favre - 6,300
    Manning - 5,082
    Marino - 4,967
    Elway - 4,123
    Brees - 4,035
    Brady - 3,798

Touchdowns:
    Favre - 508
    Manning - 436
    Marino - 420
    Tarkenton - 342
    Brady - 334
    Brees - 324
    Elway -300 (for the fans on here)

These are sort of the "Big Three" passing categories. So, when we look at upcoming milestones for Peyton, the next would be 60,000 passing yards. That should be accomplished in week 2, against the Giants on primetime from New York. After that, the next shoe to drop would be to pass Marino in passing yards, which I figure would be in week 6, or more than likely week 7 against the Colts, go figure.....It's another prime time slot, and I project he'll pass Marino that night.

Beyond that, it's "bring on Favre", as we watch Manning pursue those still distant records. Will he make it? He should need 2 full seasons to pass Favre in Touchdowns, but will need 3 full seasons to pass Favre in yards, and he'll need a 4th season to get Favre in completions.
    It's worth noting that Drew Brees (due to his age) is likely to be the "threat from behind" more than Brady would be.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by TheArtofManning; 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM.

He'll get all three records this year..............okay so maybe that isn't true....but still will be a little closer.
    sigpic

Comment

Rings are important, but they aren't a stat that belongs to a QB. When comparing great QB's, stats are the MOST important thing. Rings are a team achievement - a testament to a well-run organization. Stats are the most accurate representation of an individual player's productivity.

That aside, I think Manning will break all but completions. Depending on how many rings he does get the privilege of helping the Broncos win, he should beat the yardage record too. Had he not been forced to take a season off, there'd be no question.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
        Rings are important, but they aren't a stat that belongs to a QB. When comparing great QB's, stats are the MOST important thing. Rings are a team achievement - a testament to a well-run organization. Stats are the most accurate representation of an individual player's productivity.

That aside, I think Manning will break all but completions. Depending on how many rings he does get the privilege of helping the Broncos win, he should beat the yardage record too. Had he not been forced to take a season off, there'd be no question.
        Yeah, when did the "Rings" become the prominent stat for a QB? I once baited a fellow Lion fan....... I told him that Franco Harris was a far better running back than Barry Sanders ever dreamed of being. He was near apoplectic, at my apparent idiocy. I then remarked that the "Rings" argument doesn't apply to Running backs then? He got the message.

It all depends on how long Peyton can play and wants to play. He could pass Favre in all three, but indeed, completions will be the toughest.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post

While that may be true, career stats alone don't determine how great a QB is. A better indicator would be to figure out what a given quarterbacks average season looked like statistically. That way Favre isn't the automatic "Greatest of all time" just because he started more games than anyone else.

Comment

Just for comparison, let's look at an average season for Favre and Manning:
            Favre played in 302 games, so: (16x19=304 so essentially 19 seasons.

Yards - 3,781
            TDs - 27
            Completions - 332
            Ints - 18
            Comp% - 62%
            QB Rating - 86.0

Manning has played 14 seasons (exactly 224 games - 16x14=224)

Yards - 4,249
            TDs - 31
            Completions - 363
            Ints - 15
            Comp% - 65.2%
            QB Rating - 95.7

Not intending to start a "greatest ever QB thread".

Comment

I see him breaking the yards and touchdown records while being a couple hundred short on completions if not a little more. Which just means he broke the touchdown and yardage records in a more efficient manner

Comment

Well, he's got better ratios than Favre, he'll have better overall career stats.........and even if Manning never wins another Ring, he still would be equal to Favre at one each. But the Broncos are getting that Lombardi......

Comment

If he plays a few more years and stays great, I can see him pass Favre for TD's.
                  sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                  Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Manning will beat the yards of Marino this year.. the Touchdown of Farves next year (if he plays) ... and unless he plays a fourth or fifth year, i don't see him passing Farves yards or completions. I saw finish the contract and break the records!!

Comment

Just wanted to bring this thread up towards the front again. The season is nigh.........

Next milestone is 60,000 yards and that should occur in Week 2 against the Giants.

Comment

All three of those will fall in three seasons. Hopefully he'll also get two rings in there!

Comment

I just wanted to add, that breaking all time records as a Bronco, does add positive press atttention to the Broncos franchise. He could have achieved these in Indianapolis, but Irsay moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by elway93 View Post
                            While that may be true, career stats alone don't determine how great a QB is. A better indicator would be to figure out what a given quarterbacks average season looked like statistically. That way Favre isn't the automatic "Greatest of all time" just because he started more games than anyone else.
                            This topic is interesting and debatable. Otto Graham played ten years and won seven championships. Dan Marino played seventeen years and won none.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Four of Graham"s Championships were in the AAFC, prior to merger with the NFL.
                              Also, "back in the day" it was far easier to win the Championship. The postseason considted of 1 game, the Championship game only. There was no long playoff grind. This was true through the 1965 season.

Not taking away, just pointing out how things have changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X