MLB Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Competition

I missed the game, I am in the process of watching the replay on NFL network right now, but I was wondering what everyone thought about the MLB competition. How do you think Stewart Bradley played in particular since he started? From what I saw of highlights, Irving looked good so just wanted a recap from anyone who is willing! Thanks!
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Bradley played only Mike, I think. Irving played Sam and Mike. Johnson played Mike in the 4th Quarter. Looks like good depth to me.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I prefer Irving. I thought he looked better at the position. I am biased since I wanted Irving in the 3rd round when we got him in the 3rd but I still think he looks a cut above Bradley from a physicality and pursuit standpoint

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
        I prefer Irving. I thought he looked better at the position. I am biased since I wanted Irving in the 3rd round when we got him in the 3rd but I still think he looks a cut above Bradley from a physicality and pursuit standpoint
        Did Bradley look good or do you think he looked a little out of position at times?
        Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Comment

Irving looks more explosive, more aggressive and more instinctive
          A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintLB8 View Post
            Did Bradley look good or do you think he looked a little out of position at times?
            On pass D, the coverage call put him on Boldin a couple of times which I thought was strange. Most Mike Backers would have trouble covering him. His run D was good.

Comment

I think he looked out of position quite a few times. He picked the wrong holes when blitzing, or he was too passive to hit the holes when they opened. He looked a step behind in pursuit being very hesitant to flow laterally. He wasn't picking up on his keys quick enough. He also was easily taken out of a few plays with players just diving at his legs. Really struggled to keep them off his legs. He looked like a serviceable back up but only a starter on an average linebacking core. It was only one game but a guy with his experience and past upside I didn't expect him to be making mistakes that Irving wasn't making. I saw our OLB's do their jobs only for the RB to get 8 yards down field because Bradley wasn't where he needed to be in support. Duke saved him a few times from his mistakes turning into scores. I didn't think his pass defense was all that bad. The main issue I had with him is he wasn't flowing sideline to sideline. He was getting caught up in the middle of the field
              Last edited by Matymaddog; 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                On pass D, the coverage call put him on Boldin a couple of times which I thought was strange. Most Mike Backers would have trouble covering him. His run D was good.
                Well, we aren't going to need him to be on the field a whole lot, but it would be nice if he could return to his old form as a 4-3 MIKE like he was in Philadelphia. If not, then I am completely content with Irving at the position. Either way, we have surprisingly decent depth at MIKE. Do you think they are getting Irving use to OLB because they believe he will be the starter there for those 4 games where Von is suspended?
                Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Comment

Well, we aren't going to need him to be on the field a whole lot, but it would be nice if he could return to his old form as a 4-3 MIKE like he was in Philadelphia. If not, then I am completely content with Irving at the position. Either way, we have surprisingly decent depth at MIKE. Do you think they are getting Irving use to OLB because they believe he will be the starter there for those 4 games where Von is suspended?
                  Irving was backup Sam last year. If Miller misses games, Phillips will start at Sam, so a backup will be needed. Irving was at Sam when he got the FF on which Phillips scored.

Comment

Bradley did an "okay" job. Often times he was very close to breaking up a play but couldn't quite do it. That one passing play to Boldin comes to mind. Bradley was right there and had good coverage, he just couldn't quite break up the pass. I was surprised to see him out there and at first didn't like it, but he did alright. With a little more work he could be good, I think.

Nate did well in his time on the field, with his forced fumble when he completely shot the gap coming to mind. I thought he was the starter, but I guess not. His versatility will help him get on the field and I think he may still be in a good position to grab the starting role.

Steven Johnson has great character and I am surprised he's being buried on the depth chart, a little. Nevertheless, he's a solid backup backer and should do well on special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                      Bradley did an "okay" job. Often times he was very close to breaking up a play but couldn't quite do it. That one passing play to Boldin comes to mind. Bradley was right there and had good coverage, he just couldn't quite break up the pass. I was surprised to see him out there and at first didn't like it, but he did alright. With a little more work he could be good, I think.

Nate did well in his time on the field, with his forced fumble when he completely shot the gap coming to mind. I thought he was the starter, but I guess not. His versatility will help him get on the field and I think he may still be in a good position to grab the starting role.

Steven Johnson has great character and I am surprised he's being buried on the depth chart, a little. Nevertheless, he's a solid backup backer and should do well on special teams.
                      Thank you for the input! I agree really on all accounts.. what made me post this topic was seeing Bradley with the starters. I wasn't expecting that at all! I think the potential is there for him to be really good for us, but I am so glad we have two very capable backups in Irving and Johnson.
                      Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM

Comment

This is one area I will have concern with until someone steps up and owns the job. I hope it's Irving. I think Bradley is solid, but average at best. He provides veteran IQ and would be an excellent support to our starters.

We have fantastic OLBs, so as long as we get some quality MLB play, we're good to go!

Comment

Thank you for the input! I agree really on all accounts.. what made me post this topic was seeing Bradley with the starters. I wasn't expecting that at all! I think the potential is there for him to be really good for us, but I am so glad we have two very capable backups in Irving and Johnson.
                          I don't think Irving is backing anyone up. He had started all training camp, ota's, everything. Then this game comes around and Bradley randomly starts. I think this was more about seeing what they do or don't have in Bradley and not an indication of him starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                            I don't think Irving is backing anyone up. He had started all training camp, ota's, everything. Then this game comes around and Bradley randomly starts. I think this was more about seeing what they do or don't have in Bradley and not an indication of him starting.
                            I agree with this but also still think it may have been due to him being out for that practice for "personal" reasons. Nate was running with the ones all camp, including the scrimmage which by all accounts he looked good in, then the "personal" absence from practice and boom next practice he runs with the twos and doesn't start the first preseason game. If Fox and JDR were trying to motivate Nate or teach him a lesson I would say Mission Accomplished. Regardless, after this performance I would think he would be running with the ones for sure against the seahags next week.
                            sigpic

NC's Biggest Bronco Fan!

Adopted Bronco: Nate Irving #56

Comment

Originally posted by Cackalacky B View Post
                              I agree with this but also still think it may have been due to him being out for that practice for "personal" reasons. Nate was running with the ones all camp, including the scrimmage which by all accounts he looked good in, then the "personal" absence from practice and boom next practice he runs with the twos and doesn't start the first preseason game. If Fox and JDR were trying to motivate Nate or teach him a lesson I would say Mission Accomplished. Regardless, after this performance I would think he would be running with the ones for sure against the seahags next week.
                              So he's out for personal reasons which could mean absolutely anything to do with his life and they punish him? Highly doubtful. Personal reasons could be he had family problems going on or anything to do with normal life, it doesn't mean that be skipped practice
                              A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Working...
                              X