No announcement yet.

Derek Wolfe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are not allowed to block a player low and high. If he is engaged low he cannot be engaged high by a player.
    That happened, it's illegal

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
      This rule in particular is regarding changes for 2013 and more specifically referring to the Runner and tackler

not blockers
      That is a 100% correct. What surprises me is the helmet to helmet rule is exempt in the 3 yard from scrimmage and between the tackles and no mention that its enforced to anybody else except the ball carrier and tackler. The only rule I found that protects all players is rule 12 article 7 under the defenseless player rule.

unless (or until) the NFL fines Robinson for the hit whether people like it or not, it was a legal play. My biggest question is why did Micheal Robinson feel he had to block somebody that was, in essence, out of the play.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun View Post
        That is a 100% correct. What surprises me is the helmet to helmet rule is exempt in the 3 yard from scrimmage and between the tackles and no mention that its enforced to anybody else except the ball carrier and tackler. The only rule I found that protects all players is rule 12 article 7 under the defenseless player rule.

unless (or until) the NFL fines Robinson for the hit whether people like it or not, it was a legal play. My biggest question is why did Micheal Robinson feel he had to block somebody that was, in essence, out of the play.
        I'm not debating the merits of it violating the leading with the helmet rule. It violates the rule of chop blocking.

ILLEGAL BLOCKS BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER
        Article 4 An offensive blocker cannot:
        (a) thrust his hands forward above the frame of an opponent to contact him on the neck, face, or head
        (Note: Contact in close-line play that is not prolonged and sustained is not a foul unless the opponent’s head is pinned back by direct and forcible contact);
        Ironic they have a rule regarding hand usage to that area but nothing about leading with the head. However the block was illegal because:

Article 16 A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in subsections (1) through (10) below.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/pu...er_Conduct.pdf

Wolfe was engaged low and then Robinson engaged him high. There are reasons for these rules and it's because guys have been seriously hurt when others have violated them.

It's not often fines are handed out for chop blocks and to be honest, I can't remember the last time a fine was ever issued for preseason play.
        Last edited by Matymaddog; 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

When I first heard about the play I was thinking that Wolfe was engaged low when he got hit high, which is illegal if I remember, but when I saw the replay in real-time, it looked like Wolfe had just disengaged from the low block when he got hit high. But then in the stills in the thread it looks like he is still engaged. Did Wolfe disengage but the low blocker made a secondary lunge, creating contact again right before the high block?

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
            It's not often fines are handed out for chop blocks and to be honest, I can't remember the last time a fine was ever issued for preseason play.
            Moore or Carter (I cant remember which) was fined for a big hit on a Bills WR (Johnson?) 2 years ago in a pre-season game that really didn't look like it should have been a fine or a penalty.

Edit:
            It was Moore and he hit Donald Jones
            Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4vAd6_0C7Y

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...stevie+johnson
            Last edited by teetdogs; 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X