Ronnie Hillman vs. Montee Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    The truth is..neither looks to be terribly great at this time.
    100% the truth. Both don't look like 1A or 1B

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
      100% the truth. Both don't look like 1A or 1B
      I agree at this point.....
      For all Knowshons ups and downs as a runner, I still like our team with him leading it over these other two right now. He can pass protect and he can catch balls, I think he is our safest bet to start the season.
      Hillmans ball security can certainly be worked on, and I bet last nights game goes a long way to hammering that in. But Ball hasnt shown me anything to elevate him above Moreno.

It might just take a little more time, and were lucky to have Moreno to buy that time if need be.

Comment

Knowshon Moreno > Ronnie Hillman > Montee Ball > C.J. Anderson > Lance Ball > Jeremiah Johnson. Jacob Hester not included I consider him a fullback.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmohar View Post
          I think getting rid of Willis was a horrible mistake.
          Yeah. Everyone needs 31 year old, injure proned RBs with fumbleitis.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliminatrix View Post
            What do you guys think?...
            I think this year, like last year, all of our RB's are essentially the same guy/prototype. We don't have a compliment to any of the guys currently on the roster e.g. a bruiser between the tackles.

As for the comparison, Ball is still adjusting to the speed of the game. Once it slows down for him, he will speed up. As for Hillman, he hits the hole fast and with speed but his problem still seems to be letting the play develop and having some patience. Far too often he is running up the butt of the OL in front of him.

I believe the transition to the NFL from college is easiest for a RB. I also believe that if they don't show something in their first year starting than the odds of them showing something go down dramatically each year after. We all keep hoping for more from Moreno-the definition of insanity if you ask me. Portis is a fine example. He showed something his rookie season and built from there.

to hoping Ball is a better RB pick than Hillman was.

Comment

I was hoping with added weight Hillman would be a little more bowling ball but he appears to be the same beach ball as last year. I'm not seeing a ton of speed either, I know he's supposed to be fast but where is it ever on display? Montee at least can take on a tickler with some results. I hope he changes my mind, but I'm completely bored with Hillman.
              Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Who ever would have thought we'd see the day where people on this board were begging for Knowshon Moreno to play!

Oh how things change over the years.

Montee is our guy.

Comment

Mball isn't ready. That's clear. Hillman is like a bowling pin. One tap by a 300 pounder is all it takes for him to go down. Reminds me of Q or when we had Milburn. Just too small to run between the tackles. I think the broncos are trying to shove a square peg into a round hole with Hillman. He needs to operate in space. In a bind now that MBall hasn't progressed as hoped. I thought it was a mistake to let McGahee go until Ball developed. Looks like that's going to bite us. KnoMo's durability just isn't reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehveek03 View Post
                    Bottom line John fox and the bro are IDIOTS !!! For releasing McGahee , fox is a MORON using hillman as a premiere back , he is nothing more than a change of pace back hands down, hillman needs to suck up his pride cuz he's just not big or tough enough to play inside with the big boys. Not to mention his butter fingers . Montee ball needs to step up NOW or more and more people will realize passing on lacy was a big mistake ......./. Oh and did I mention John fox is an IDIOT AND MORON and John elways biggest mistake in his life is hiring this ______
                    Jeeez...relax guy. It's preseason. They're evaluating. Assembling a 54 man roster is always a gamble and sometimes bad choices are made by even the best in the business. Control your emotions and the personal attacks on Broncos staff isn't going to go over well around here.
                    sigpic
                    Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

After only two preseason games I'm not ready to write off Hillman or Montee yet but Knowshon is definitely more proven. I'm not too worried about it honestly. Our offense drove the field fairly easily yesterday against one of the best defenses in the league. Aside from the fumble I didn't think Hillman looked bad. I didn't watch his pass protection all that much though honestly and with my NFLN coverage I didn't get to see every play, but what I did see didn't look that bad. I actually think he scored on the fumble anyway. The defender got his helmet on the ball. It's hard to hold onto a ball in that situation. He shouldn't of took the risk to go over the pile like that on 2nd down though in my opinion. The jump over the pile with the ball out risked a fumble when it was only 2nd down. He could of pushed the O-line for a gain of one or so and lived for another down. If a hole isn't there on 3rd down go for the shorter jump so you can easily extend the ball over the line. It's just a preseason game though and he'll learn from it. We will be okay.

Comment

Hillman shrugged off quite a few arm tackles last night. He was hit in the backfield or at the LoS nearly every play and every time and he managed to get at least 3 yards. This reminds me of when Moreno took over at RB the first time. People were blaming him for getting hit in the backfield every single play and saying he went down on first contact when he didn't.

Comment

Correction: Ronnie Hillman looked very good last night. I just rewatched the game. The offensive line was absolutely horrid.

He was making all of the right moves. He had very good vision, good cuts, and good wiggle. He took the ball where there were openings. I spotted a total of one play where I could see someone questioning Hillmans decision in the run game. He took the hand off and the play was directed to the weak side. One player came in unblocked and the other defender had hands on him but had inside leverage. Hillman hesitated and ran into the back of his o-linemen rather than trying to shoot what small gap there was and fight through an arm tackle. One out of 13 carries. So outside of that hesitation, he just needs to work on fumbling. He ran pretty darn well. Someone will have to point out a play where he missed a hole because the one everyone is referencing, rewatch that play. There is a hole to the left where he has no blockers and there is a defender waiting. On his right, he has a huge hole where he has 5 blockers about to initiate contact. Turns out 2 of them completely whiff on their blocks and when Hillman hits the hole he gets stopped for a limited gain. You are taught to follow your blocks. Had two of our offensive linemen (Consistently manny ramirez missed every single block) make contact for a brief second, Hillman is scoring a TD on that play.

For those that want it, I can easily provide photo evidence. Hillman was quite impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                            Correction: Ronnie Hillman looked very good last night. I just rewatched the game. The offensive line was absolutely horrid.

He was making all of the right moves. He had very good vision, good cuts, and good wiggle. He took the ball where there were openings. I spotted a total of one play where I could see someone questioning Hillmans decision in the run game. He took the hand off and the play was directed to the weak side. One player came in unblocked and the other defender had hands on him but had inside leverage. Hillman hesitated and ran into the back of his o-linemen rather than trying to shoot what small gap there was and fight through an arm tackle. One out of 13 carries. So outside of that hesitation, he just needs to work on fumbling. He ran pretty darn well. Someone will have to point out a play where he missed a hole because the one everyone is referencing, rewatch that play. There is a hole to the left where he has no blockers and there is a defender waiting. On his right, he has a huge hole where he has 5 blockers about to initiate contact. Turns out 2 of them completely whiff on their blocks and when Hillman hits the hole he gets stopped for a limited gain. You are taught to follow your blocks. Had two of our offensive linemen (Consistently manny ramirez missed every single block) make contact for a brief second, Hillman is scoring a TD on that play.

For those that want it, I can easily provide photo evidence. Hillman was quite impressive.
                            His down fall will be his size , i just don't see him being very successful in the redzone or moving the pile every once in awhile

Comment

Both are mediocre at this point.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                                Both are mediocre at this point.
                                To expand on this, our O-line is below mediocre at this point as well.
                                sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Working...
                                X