Ronnie Hillman vs. Montee Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
    To expand on this, our O-line is below mediocre at this point as well.
    Then draft O-lineman instead of RBs. The Packers' O-line stinks, yet Lacy broke a lot of tackles and looked great.
    sigpic

Comment

I think we will use Hillman and Ball similar to how John Fox used Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster in 2005. Hillman most often with Ball getting most red zone touches. I think we will be fine honestly. They have a few weeks to get more familiar. We have to remember this is Montee Ball's first year with Peyton and he likely is going to be a little slow to catch on the same way everyone else was last season. We may not have a clear cut starter but I do think we have pretty good depth with Knowshon, Montee, and Hillman.

Comment

Preseason and TC is the time to get ready and fix things.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Ehveek03 View Post
          His down fall will be his size , i just don't see him being very successful in the redzone or moving the pile every once in awhile
          But see this is it.He was drafted as a change of pace back not a back to slam it in from the two yard line.That play yesterday needed a hester type or cj(injured i know)play ronnie to his strengths and hell be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
            But see this is it.He was drafted as a change of pace back not a back to slam it in from the two yard line.That play yesterday needed a hester type or cj(injured i know)play ronnie to his strengths and hell be fine.
            I agree about we should have put Montee Ball in for that type of play but Ronnie Hillman had that touchdown through and through. It crossed the plain. The refs were garbage auditioning refs trying out for entry into the NFL's new ref program. They took a second to review it. Those refs took longer to talk about plays than review the film. It was mind blowing. I get it, hold onto the ball. Regardless, Wagner made a pretty great play slamming his helmet into the ball. Hillman had a 4th down conversion and plowed into the endzone. If he can hold onto the ball, he actually can pull off those runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              Then draft O-lineman instead of RBs. The Packers' O-line stinks, yet Lacy broke a lot of tackles and looked great.
              Eddie Lacy wasnt running against Seattle. There's a big difference in the level of competition.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                Eddie Lacy wasnt running against Seattle. There's a big difference in the level of competition.
                The Rams have a pretty good DL and overall defense. It's no secret that I've been disappointed by Moreno's underwhelming career, but at this point I'm hoping he gets healthy as soon as possible. Someone needs to step up and lead this running game. My biggest issue with Montee Ball is how bad he is in pass protection. The Broncos need a complete RB carrying the load. This no-huddle tempo needs a complete RB for any situation and I don't even believe in "change-of-pace" RBs because they tip your hand, making things predictable.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                  The Rams have a pretty good DL and overall defense. It's no secret that I've been disappointed by Moreno's underwhelming career, but at this point I'm hoping he gets healthy as soon as possible. Someone needs to step up and lead this running game. My biggest issue with Montee Ball is how bad he is in pass protection. The Broncos need a complete RB carrying the load. This no-huddle tempo needs a complete RB for any situation and I don't even believe in "change-of-pace" RBs because they tip your hand, making things predictable.
                  So what if Montee has a good game against the Rams?
                  All in for Siemian!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
                    This.

Starters will be playing the most amount of time they have all preseason next week. We play the Rams. So for anyone complaining about Hillman or Balls performance and touting Lacys performance, wait till next weekend and let us know what you think. Lacy will be playing the Seahawks as well. If Seahawks tackle anything like they were this past game, they are going to take Lacys legs out completely.

Comment

I am glad that Hillman is getting stronger, and I appreciate that he is still a very young player, and will grow in our system. He has speed, but I still want to see better ball control, blocking and ability to beat tacklers one on one. So I would start Knowshon if he's ready, because he is our best overall back until proven otherwise. And if KM's not ready, I'd take a wee bit of risk and go with Montee, because he looks more efficient and powerful than Hillman.

But all three backs can and will contribute this year (possibly all in game one), and that's not a bad thing!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
                        It will be great. Especially if he can recognize the blitz.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          I am glad that Hillman is getting stronger, and I appreciate that he is still a very young player, and will grow in our system. He has speed, but I still want to see better ball control, blocking and ability to beat tacklers one on one. So I would start Knowshon if he's ready, because he is our best overall back until proven otherwise. And if KM's not ready, I'd take a wee bit of risk and go with Montee, because he looks more efficient and powerful than Hillman.

But all three backs can and will contribute this year (possibly all in game one), and that's not a bad thing!
                          I don't think he had much room to even try to beat tacklers one on one as he had to beat a group of them on every play. That's how bad our offensive line is right now. Huge concern. Biggest concern by far is the offensive line right now. Ball Control is by far Hillmans biggest concern. As for blocking, they asked him to run routes instead of stay back and block but according to training camp updates and some limited snaps I have seen, Hillman far exceeds his ability to block last year and Montee can't even sniff how good he's been at it. Why go with Montee? He's had struggles all camp and has reportedly looked like the 5th best RB behind Hillman, Moreno, CJ, and even JJ. Montee had maybe 2 or 3 practices total where people didn't remark he looked to struggle completely. The game clearly hasn't slowed down for him. He had 5 carries for 9 yards last week but we are suddenly crowning him after one game? He was absolutely garbage at blocking. I love Montee, but he definitely isn't ready just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            He also didn't look that good. 8 carries for 40 yards, but 5 of those carries were for 2 yards or less compared to Montee Ball who only had 2 carries of less than 3 yards. I know I'm splitting hairs, but if Eddie Lacy had a great night, Ball at least looked great running the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Matymaddog View Post
                              I don't think he had much room to even try to beat tacklers one on one as he had to beat a group of them on every play. That's how bad our offensive line is right now. Huge concern. Biggest concern by far is the offensive line right now. Ball Control is by far Hillmans biggest concern. As for blocking, they asked him to run routes instead of stay back and block but according to training camp updates and some limited snaps I have seen, Hillman far exceeds his ability to block last year and Montee can't even sniff how good he's been at it. Why go with Montee? He's had struggles all camp and has reportedly looked like the 5th best RB behind Hillman, Moreno, CJ, and even JJ. Montee had maybe 2 or 3 practices total where people didn't remark he looked to struggle completely. The game clearly hasn't slowed down for him. He had 5 carries for 9 yards last week but we are suddenly crowning him after one game? He was absolutely garbage at blocking. I love Montee, but he definitely isn't ready just yet.
                              only way to fix that is with reps...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                                only way to fix that is with reps...
                                He's getting reps and he will get reps but until he is ready he should not tote the rock full time. He should get reps as a 1b back and in 3rd and shorts as well as goal line situations. When he is ready, then he should take over but only when he proves he is ready which he has not.

Comment

Working...
                                X