X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by Lomax View Post
    Do you remember what our top 10 defense in '09 looked like a year later when we lost Doom for the season? They dropped to 32nd. One player can make a huge difference, especially when we're talking about the top 1 or 2 defensive players in the league.
    your forgetting the biggest part of your story

in 09 we had one of the best Dcs in the game in mike Nolan

in 2010 we had don martindale

a considerable dropoff

Leave a comment:

• BIGB83
    replied
    Originally posted by RandomVariable View Post
    He was nothing more than a returner. His receiving stats were mediocre at best. He was a nonfactor in the passing game until he showed up here.
    67 catches for almost 700 yards isn't too mediocre....especially when your QB is Joey Harrington

Leave a comment:

• itswutz4dinna
    replied
    That Welker "drop" in the SB was actually a god-awful throw by Brady. Not saying there weren't other drops that game but that was the one everyone talked about afterwards.

And I see our D being fine without Miller. We were top 10 with Nolan and less talent; we should easily be top 10 with JDR year 2. Run D should be better with Ayers, Wolfe #2, Knighton, more athletic LBs and Ihenacho. Pass rush will be down but we still have easily the best corners (three #1s and a #2 in Carter) and maybe the best secondary in the league. I say we're top 10 after 6 and top 5 by the end of the year. We still have JDR and that's way more important than any one player.

Leave a comment:

• orangecrushtime
    replied
    We are holding more cards under the table this preseason than ever. Most our new talent additions have barely played or been utilized, and our play calling has left out plenty of plays we regularly called last season. It seems they have been planning on putting Woodyard in at ILB for awhile, and waited to make the move until the Von Miller decision/evaluating Trevathon and Stewart in game. I also think we intended to look a bit bad against the Seahawks. I don't think individual players played up to expectation but throwing us in without any prep and putting players intentionally in positions which would challenge them was meant as a typical preseason lesson and talent evaluation tool.

Leave a comment:

• 86Elwayfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay2Javon4life View Post
    You are right, he only led the entire league in all purpose yards when he was on the Dolphins. Welker was a very good player prior to his time in NE.
    Not that I am saying WW was bad before New England but this statement isn't technically true....Stephen Jackson actually led the league in all purpose yards in 2006. (#25 all time based on the stats I found.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...gle_season.htm

Leave a comment:

• RandomVariable
    replied
    You are right, he only led the entire league in all purpose yards when he was on the Dolphins. Welker was a very good player prior to his time in NE.
    He was nothing more than a returner. His receiving stats were mediocre at best. He was a nonfactor in the passing game until he showed up here.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Isn't that funny how people only believe what they want?

haha nice post.

Leave a comment:

• Jay2Javon4life
    replied
    Welker was nothing before he came to NE.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    that one play by moore killed our chances of winning because all momentum swayed instantly to the ravens. You can talk all you want about those two INT's but we never should have been in position to make them in the first place.
    Maybe... maybe a missed field goal... maybe some bad PI calls. Maybe the Refs letting the Ravens get a warmup fieldgoal in OT.

Maybe we score on the previous drive that Manning threw an INT in. Yes Moore made a bad play but to say he is the only reason we lost is absurd. Saying Manning had no part in our loss is absurd. Special teams almost won us that game they played the best out of anyone that game. So while I'm still happy to have Manning on the team. I'm tired of all the blame falling on one player when really others are just as much to blame.

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied
    Originally posted by doubletap View Post
    The downright arrogance on these boards is just amazing. Why play the season at all? Just hand the trophy to the Broncos already.
    Makes sense to me... we're going to win it anyway...

Leave a comment:

• doubletap
    replied
    The downright arrogance on these boards is just amazing. Why play the season at all? Just hand the trophy to the Broncos already.

Leave a comment:

• RandomVariable
    replied
    Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    Brady didn't do more with less. He did more with more. Better coaches, better defense, better run game, MILES better offensive line, and the best Special Teams unit in football. Oh, and lots and lots of illegal video tapes. Brady had to do very little, in fact, once the playoffs came around. He managed games, and got into field goal range at the end.

Manning had Wide Receivers...that's not "more" on a team. He had bad offensive lines, a horrible ground game short of Edgerrin James for a few years, a kicker in Vanderjagt who choked in the biggest moments, and a coach who felt it necessary to rest Peyton for the final 4 games of every season. Need we even mention Caldwell? The year he finally won it all, the whole team played with him. Let's not forget he lead the comeback in arguably one of the greatest AFC Championship games in history (against sad Patriots). Tom's only 2-1 against him in the playoffs, with Peyton winning their most recent encounter.

In fact, ever since Brady has gotten more offensive weapons, and his numbers have inflated with the passer-friendly rules, he's been worse in the playoffs. He was Mark Sanchez bad against the Ravens last year.

Brady having more rings doesn't mean Brady has done more. The Patriots did more. It's cute to say, "he did more with less," because that's the bull-plop ESPN fed us for years; but it's not accurate or reflective of an real analysis.
    No one is denying that the early 2000s Patriots had a top notch D and a very good overall team. However, to say that Brady did very little underscores either your ignorance, jealousy, or incredible pro-Manning bias. Or maybe a combination of all three. Without Brady's final minute drives that resulted in FGs, we most likely don't win those games.

What I mean by saying that he did more with less is strictly in the passing game. Peyton has always been surrounded by top receiving talent. His OL haven't been as solid as Brady's, but they weren't bad by any means. When Brady finally played with a HOF calibre WR he completely rewrote the record books. Most of his career however, was spent throwing to receivers of a much lower calibre. Welker was nothing before he came to NE. Branch was a star in NE but did very little elsewhere. Same with Reche Caldwell. The receivers he won SBs with weren't exactly elite either. He's always put the entire offense on his shoulders to make up for the lack of talent. This resulted in him leading NE to having 5 of the top 11 best offensive seasons in NFL history. Just let that sink in for a minute.

As far as postseason play, even if we ignore the stats and the W/L record (which is heavily skewed towards Brady) there is a noticeable drop off in Manning's play from regular season to postseason. Even the year he won the SB he had a terrible TD/INT ratio with 3 TDs and 7 INTs and had a 70.5 QB rating. The D played a huge role in winning him that championship. Conversely, there is no such drop off for Brady. Brady led a team with the worst defense in the league (they were literally 31st or 32nd in the league) to the SB a couple of years ago and came up only 4 points shy, and probably could have won if it wasn't for the numerous easy drops. He set a record for most consecutive completions in the SB in that game. The game you're referring to last year was definitely not one of Brady's best. However, he was up against a very hot defense. The key 3rd down drop by Welker and then by Lloyd later in the game didn't help. It was no worse than Manning's showings against the Patriots in the early 2000s.

Leave a comment:

• RockyMtnConvert
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Gotta hold onto the vision. Listening to all the football shows this morning, everyone is now counting us out. They seem to be forgetting that come playoff time, . Von will be back.

They are saying that PFM can't overcome all this, that he cant overcome the injuries, and that he can't overcome our battered D. But of course, on the flip side, Tom Brady is so good that can overcome all that they lost.

Those on First Take were saying the ONLY way we can go deep into the playoffs is if we have home field advantage throughout, and they don't think that's gonna happen because the AFC will now go through NE. They were saying that we won't even be 2nd or even 3rd to the beloved NE Patriots because Tom Brady can do what PFM can't. Ugh!
    Its all hilarious. We go from Super Bowl favorites to down and out in 2 preseason games... lol..

You know what, I love the bad press... yes, we're done, down and out, can't overcome.. it will make for a better story when we are still playing late in Janurary...

Leave a comment:

• Doogansquest
    replied
    That's because it's true. Tom Brady has done a lot more in his career with a lot less. Peyton has always been surrounded by top talent.

And it wasn't more than a couple of weeks ago that everyone in the media counted the Pats out and said our losses on offense would be insurmountable. Some people still think that. But anyone who has followed camp and preseason knows differently.
    Brady didn't do more with less. He did more with more. Better coaches, better defense, better run game, MILES better offensive line, and the best Special Teams unit in football. Oh, and lots and lots of illegal video tapes. Brady had to do very little, in fact, once the playoffs came around. He managed games, and got into field goal range at the end.

Manning had Wide Receivers...that's not "more" on a team. He had bad offensive lines, a horrible ground game short of Edgerrin James for a few years, a kicker in Vanderjagt who choked in the biggest moments, and a coach who felt it necessary to rest Peyton for the final 4 games of every season. Need we even mention Caldwell? The year he finally won it all, the whole team played with him. Let's not forget he lead the comeback in arguably one of the greatest AFC Championship games in history (against sad Patriots). Tom's only 2-1 against him in the playoffs, with Peyton winning their most recent encounter.

In fact, ever since Brady has gotten more offensive weapons, and his numbers have inflated with the passer-friendly rules, he's been worse in the playoffs. He was Mark Sanchez bad against the Ravens last year.

Brady having more rings doesn't mean Brady has done more. The Patriots did more. It's cute to say, "he did more with less," because that's the bull-plop ESPN fed us for years; but it's not accurate or reflective of an real analysis.

Leave a comment:

• champ&dreallday
    replied
    Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    But I don't like pie.... Can I have some humble cookies instead?

In all seriousness I agree with you OP to an extent OP. There has been an air of extreme cockiness on the boards leading into the season, and maybe the expectations were a little ludicrous and overall to high, but at the same time I kind of feel like those expectations are a good thing...after all If you shoot for the moon and miss at least you'll be among the stars right?
    Having Peyton Manning, any team will have high expectations. Adding Welker and some of the other pieces we have, we should be highly favored. But there's a big difference between being favored and arrogant. I think our team is loaded, but to expect 30 point victories is ridiculous. I hate to lose games, but to say no one in the league stands a chance vs us is foolish. Statements like these make you seem cocky and acutally show we're not in touch with reality. 19-0 has never been done. I'd be estatic if we pulled it off, but from someone who's played sports, you don't go throwing around how great you are and you can't be beat. It's kind of asking for trouble and you look foolish when you lose in the 1st round like we did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X