Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Commish is so concerned about player safety.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Commish is so concerned about player safety.....

Why is the chop block still allowed? The play with Wolfe should have been a penalty. He was engaged by the TE chop and the FB came and drilled him. I personally have no problem with cut blocking because it won us two superbowls but I just find it hypocritical that Goddell will argue player safety and protect WR's and QB's but will allow players to dive at linemens knees.
    "Defender of Green Buds"

Nobody is suing over chop blocks.
    Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
      Nobody is suing over chop blocks.
      Pretty much, it's illegal but since nobody is scream at the league about it they don't take it so serious.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
        Pretty much, it's illegal but since nobody is scream at the league about it they don't take it so serious.
        I was having an interesting conversation with a colleague the other day at work about player safety. I am Canadian and as a result of that I grew up playing rugby rather than football. When I moved in my last year of high school I had the opportunity to put on about half of the pads from one of the few local school that had a football team. In truth I felt dam near indestructible. I ran shoulder pad 1st into the nearest goal post and barely felt the impact. - IMO this is the issue we are seeing now.

These football and hockey (I am Canadian afterall) pads are so hard and absorb so much of the hit that players can and will hit harder because they simply don't feel the physical impact. I'd like for the NFL to keep all of the padding they have now but alter the pads to remove a good portion of the plastic and replace it with a different softer material. Obviously the cup & helmet should remain as is but I'd love to see how the game would be played and I'd also be interested to see how many of these knee injuries could be avoided with this change.

So to summarize my theory is that many of these joint injuries (knee, shoulder, elbow etc.) are potentially as a result of hard hits by players wearing hardened plastic pads. I'd be curious to see peoples comment on this.

Comment

Game of football should be played with the most minimal padding

Comment

Originally posted by Rarelyoffended View Post
            Game of football should be played with the most minimal padding
            I couldn't agree more but it concerns me a bit that the route which has been taken recently is to add more pads rather than look at removing the hardened plastics (Shoulder pads in particular).

Comment

Chop blocks arent allowed....and havent been for a long, long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by HatianRubble View Post
                Chop blocks arent allowed....and havent been for a long, long time now.
                The initial hit on Wolfe (causing injury) was pretty darn close to what I'd call a chop block.

Comment

The second hit was helmet- to-helmet aka spear.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think rules enforcement needs a hell of a lot more work than the rules themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                      I think rules enforcement needs a hell of a lot more work than the rules themselves.
                      I think they equally need work. The Bears LB got fined 21K for a clean hit, while the Texans player got away with spearing the side of Dustin Keller's knee. Everything in the league is screwed up, the rules committee needs to be mentally evaluated.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

He doesn't really care a lot about player safety. I'm not saying he wants everyone hurt, but I think he's putting on a front. Honestly, I somewhat understand. I don't agree but understand. So many former players are saying they didn't realize the long term effect of the game, which is nonsense to me. Because so many players want to sue the NFL, he's kind of protecting the league from the lawsuits and possibly saying okay you want to sue, I'll make the NFL really soft. This is what seems to be going on in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
                          He doesn't really care a lot about player safety. I'm not saying he wants everyone hurt, but I think he's putting on a front. Honestly, I somewhat understand. I don't agree but understand. So many former players are saying they didn't realize the long term effect of the game, which is nonsense to me. Because so many players want to sue the NFL, he's kind of protecting the league from the lawsuits and possibly saying okay you want to sue, I'll make the NFL really soft. This is what seems to be going on in the league.
                          What I find interesting though is that by altering the game he is almost agreeing with the premise of the lawsuit. Frankly he'd be better off to introduce mandatory training explaining to new players the current dangers of football and how there is new evidence which links hits to the head to other issues. By simply overhauling the rules to fundamentally change the game - IMO its throwing these lawsuits a validation bone.

Comment

Yet again people are blaming Goodell for the fine. The NFL and media have you all fooled, Roger didn't give out this fine. It came from the committees and was agreed upon by the NFLPA. Again Roger doesn't have as much power as the media makes you think he does.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Post your blame on these people not Roger.
                              Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons)
                              Jeff Fisher (St. Louis Rams)
                              Stephen Jones (Dallas Cowboys)
                              Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)
                              John Mara (New York Giants)
                              Mark Murphy (Green Bay Packers)
                              Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens)
                              Rick Smith (Houston Texans)
                              Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers)
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders