Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Commish is so concerned about player safety.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artamentous
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofanfromia View Post
    Ed McCaffrey is the last one I remember
    Something appears to be wrong with Kuper's leg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiAVpmS4Cps

I was actually at that game, worst game I have ever personally witnessed so bad. First game I brought my son to as well, just awful. Good riddance Tebow.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    It looks like he hit with the top of his helmet. The fine is enforcement of this rule which is intended to protect the hitter as well as the player receiving the hit. Not hitting with the helmet is taught from peewee football on up in order to avoid head/neck injuries. Helmets all have a warning label.

Leave a comment:

• Rarelyoffended
    replied
    I am shocked Bostic on the Bears got fined for his hit

Leave a comment:

• MegaOrange
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofanfromia View Post
    Sept 10, 2001. I was at that game.

Leave a comment:

• MegaOrange
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but LT broke Theisman's leg he didn't only tear or hurt his ACL/ MCL. I truly cannot recall the last broken bone on the football field (fingers and toes are expendable - IMO and don't count). I don't think that these injuries are because a helmet is leading a tackle. These shoulder pads are equally to blame. They are enabling many of these players to dish out massive hits and feel next to no impact. If shoulder pads were altered to no longer have hardened plastic and were just a dense fabric/ foam then I think we'd see less MCL/ACL tears and we could potentially see some of the newer rules get altered to allow for higher hits below the neck.
    Umm, Joe Mays broke his leg last year. Nate Burleson. Marc Mariani-video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXD7beE8IG0

I mentioned the helmet, in the first sentence. My main point was the size, speed, just the overall physics of the game is maxing out the body. I'd bet 20 guys tore their ACL last year. The level of violence in the game has been encouraged, we've become accustomed to it, and it's to the point where without the violence we wouldn't call it football.

Leave a comment:

• broncofanfromia
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong but LT broke Theisman's leg he didn't only tear or hurt his ACL/ MCL. I truly cannot recall the last broken bone on the football field (fingers and toes are expendable - IMO and don't count). I don't think that these injuries are because a helmet is leading a tackle. These shoulder pads are equally to blame. They are enabling many of these players to dish out massive hits and feel next to no impact. If shoulder pads were altered to no longer have hardened plastic and were just a dense fabric/ foam then I think we'd see less MCL/ACL tears and we could potentially see some of the newer rules get altered to allow for higher hits below the neck.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
    Helmets are meant to protect but really have just become a weapon. Factor that in with the increase of weight, muscle and speed and you have your problem. When linemen are 30-40 lbs heavier than in the 70's, and they train harder, with more "helpers" to get them bigger, and they run faster its just physics.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=493

I think there is also a more kill or be killed approach to the game that has been building over the years. We've become immune to it, we celebrate it and make excuses. We cheer it when our guy does the damage and defend the legality of the hit but when the coin is flipped we are the exact opposite.

The NFL created a blood thirsty image that we all learned to accept, encourage and enjoy but the fruition and reality of that mixed with the physics above is maybe not the desired result. I can remember when LT broke Thiesmans leg, that was a big deal. Seems to happen weekly now. ACL's pop loose all the time now. Everything is maxed out. Speed, size, muscle and basically the body.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    He'll never be forced out just because of how much the NFL has made during his tenure. He's not the sole reason for HUGE revenues but he was the commisioner during big pay days for the league.

And the Antonio Smith play wasn't as bad as it sounds. If you watch the play, he could've killed the guy with the helmet. He did swing it, but you could tell he didn't really want to hit the guy. He clearly pulled back and then dropped it. If he really wanted to, he could've landed several brutal hits.
    That's not how many folks saw it.

As for Goodell's success......yes, I agree.......he has improved key business aspects that translate to Owner confidence / revenues. He is a smart and savvy individual.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-21-2013, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Goodell doesn't work for the players or the so-called experts, though. He works at the behest of the owners in ensuring that the NFL maintains its marketing value and continues to grow, which it has under his tenure.
    I understand to a degree. It's mostly about money, and lest we ever forget that. Trouble is, we can see through his so called good intentions from time to time. In fact, I used to like him, but now I am "curious" at every move. And that's not healthy, given some of the activities seem good on paper, but I tend to look further now, and often come up with the same conclusion.....$$$$$$$$.

But I still hear intelligent people concerned about some of his decisions. They seem to know more than we about his role, and the things he has authority over. The folks I allude to are connected. They could have said things like, it's the owners fault, but they didn't.

Maybe I am misled in my interpretation.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MegaOrange
    replied
    Helmets are meant to protect but really have just become a weapon. Factor that in with the increase of weight, muscle and speed and you have your problem. When linemen are 30-40 lbs heavier than in the 70's, and they train harder, with more "helpers" to get them bigger, and they run faster its just physics.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=493

I think there is also a more kill or be killed approach to the game that has been building over the years. We've become immune to it, we celebrate it and make excuses. We cheer it when our guy does the damage and defend the legality of the hit but when the coin is flipped we are the exact opposite.

The NFL created a blood thirsty image that we all learned to accept, encourage and enjoy but the fruition and reality of that mixed with the physics above is maybe not the desired result. I can remember when LT broke Thiesmans leg, that was a big deal. Seems to happen weekly now. ACL's pop loose all the time now. Everything is maxed out. Speed, size, muscle and basically the body.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I still blame Goodell for some of the things going on. He talks a good talk. I really think he's worn out his welcome with many players/experts.
    Goodell doesn't work for the players or the so-called experts, though. He works at the behest of the owners in ensuring that the NFL maintains its marketing value and continues to grow, which it has under his tenure.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I was having an interesting conversation with a colleague the other day at work about player safety. I am Canadian and as a result of that I grew up playing rugby rather than football. When I moved in my last year of high school I had the opportunity to put on about half of the pads from one of the few local school that had a football team. In truth I felt dam near indestructible. I ran shoulder pad 1st into the nearest goal post and barely felt the impact. - IMO this is the issue we are seeing now.

These football and hockey (I am Canadian afterall) pads are so hard and absorb so much of the hit that players can and will hit harder because they simply don't feel the physical impact. I'd like for the NFL to keep all of the padding they have now but alter the pads to remove a good portion of the plastic and replace it with a different softer material. Obviously the cup & helmet should remain as is but I'd love to see how the game would be played and I'd also be interested to see how many of these knee injuries could be avoided with this change.

So to summarize my theory is that many of these joint injuries (knee, shoulder, elbow etc.) are potentially as a result of hard hits by players wearing hardened plastic pads. I'd be curious to see peoples comment on this.
    Good to see another canuck on board!!
    :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• champ&dreallday
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I still blame Goodell for some of the things going on. He talks a good talk. I really think he's worn out his welcome with many players/experts.

And where was he when they handed out only one game to Antonio Smith for ripping off Incognito's helmet and swinging it at his head......there was so much intent and potential for injury on that play!!!
    He'll never be forced out just because of how much the NFL has made during his tenure. He's not the sole reason for HUGE revenues but he was the commisioner during big pay days for the league.

And the Antonio Smith play wasn't as bad as it sounds. If you watch the play, he could've killed the guy with the helmet. He did swing it, but you could tell he didn't really want to hit the guy. He clearly pulled back and then dropped it. If he really wanted to, he could've landed several brutal hits.

Leave a comment:

• champ&dreallday
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Goodell's job is to shield the league from liability.
    That's basically what he' s doing. In a way he is saying older players were subject to harm. However, in most cases to be held liable for a lawsuit, you have to have knowledge of the issue and not attempt to fix it. A friend recently wanted to sue his landlord for mold after the maintenance team poorly worked on a leak in his home. Several lawyers said his landlord was not yet liable. To have a case he had to prove the landlord knew and refused to do anyting about it. By changing the rules and making it "appear" that he's protecting the players, he's avoiding liability. I think he's also making a point to these players trying to sue. He's saying okay, you think the NFL was to brutal and caused you harm, I'll show you a much softer NFL.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

And where was he when they handed out only one game to Antonio Smith for ripping off Incognito's helmet and swinging it at his head......there was so much intent and potential for injury on that play!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X