Facing the Bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing the Bye

After Denver trounces Washington this Sunday, they get a much-needed bye. I am excited that it happens right in the middle of the season. It will be important for a number of reasons people have already explained, such as getting players healthy, preparation for a tough stretch of the schedule, etc. Perhaps the most important reason I look forward to the bye is because of the fundamental mistakes.

During a "normal" week, a team spends so much time focusing on an opponent, the game plan to exploit an opponents' weaknesses while covering their own, and hitting the film room. It's no surprise then, that the weaknesses of a team often don't get corrected prior to that bye week.

Denver has a problem fumbling the ball. They lead the league in fumbles lost. That's not a stat to be proud of. The fans are complaining, whining, and asking why it isn't being corrected. While I know for a fact the coaches address this in practices, I also suspect more of the focus is on a game plan for a specific opponent.

The bye week will allow the Broncos to focus on ball security, TE blocking, defenders catching passes that hit them in the hands (*cough*Lenon*cough*); as well as getting healthy. The bye week is the best time, or checkpoint for correcting the fundamental mistakes.

I promise you this team will give up far fewer loose balls after the bye than they have to this point.

It's a tale of two seasons for most teams. What do you look forward to changing as a result of the bye?
    Last edited by Doogansquest; 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM.

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    After Denver trounces Washington this Sunday, they get a much-needed bye. I am excited that it happens right in the middle of the season. It will be important for a number of reasons people have already explained, such as getting players healthy, preparation for a tough stretch of the schedule, etc. Perhaps the most important reason I look forward to the bye is because of the fundamental mistakes.

During a "normal" week, a team spends so much time focusing on an opponent, the game plan to exploit an opponents' weaknesses while covering their own, and hitting the film room. It's no surprise then, that the weakness of a team often don't get corrected prior to that bye week.

Denver has a problem fumbling the ball. They lead the league in fumbles lost. That's not a stat to be proud of. The fans are complaining, whining, and asking why it isn't being corrected. While I know for a fact the coaches address this in practices, I also suspect more of the focus is on a game plan for a specific opponent.

The bye week will allow the Broncos to focus on ball security, TE blocking, defenders catching passes that hit them in the hands (*cough*Lenon*cough*); as well as getting healthy. The bye week is the best time, or checkpoint for correcting the fundamental mistakes.

I promise you this team will give up far fewer loose balls after the bye than they have to this point.

It's a tale of two seasons for most teams. What do you look forward to changing as a result of the bye?
    I think you are right. This bye cannot come at a better time.

Like you said, we can focus on a number of different issues. Ball security is definitely high on the list.

Whats really its going to help is to get a chance for players to get healthy. Today a number of players did not play including Manning because they are all banged up.

Another thing that it will help is for coaches to plan. I know the coaches always talk about 1 game at a time. But, they also need to focus on the hard teams comming up on the schedule including SD, KC and NE.

Comment

I don't disagree. I've said before that Denver is the best team in the NFL and the only way they lose a game is if they shoot themselves in the foot too much. Indy played us very well, but without 4 turnovers (I still consider it 4, even if the stats say 3), I doubt the outcome was the same, even if the offense was having an offday with 3 and outs. There's some good teams out there like NO, KC, Seattle, New England will be better by then, but I don't think any are substantially better than what Indy gave us. So, we need to fix our stuff first.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
        I don't disagree. I've said before that Denver is the best team in the NFL and the only way they lose a game is if they shoot themselves in the foot too much. Indy played us very well, but without 4 turnovers (I still consider it 4, even if the stats say 3), I doubt the outcome was the same, even if the offense was having an offday with 3 and outs. There's some good teams out there like NO, KC, Seattle, New England will be better by then, but I don't think any are substantially better than what Indy gave us. So, we need to fix our stuff first.
        I agree in thinking it was 4. A sack fumble for a Safety is, in every way, a turnover. Worse because it's automatically 2 points and possession.

Despite Denver completely shooting themselves in the foot, the emotional strain on Manning, and the Irsay hoopla, they still almost beat a very good Colts team in Indianapolis.

Comment

Denver: 45

Bye: 3

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

Nah! I think it's a shutout.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Nah! I think it's a shutout.
              The bye is a pretty tough opponent to crack. There's no game film on it, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

We might as well set a Denver Broncos record for most points in a game while we are at it! Denver 53 - Bye 3

Comment

Well, outside of getting everyone healthy, I'm interested in seeing if Trindon gets involved in the offense like he hinted at a couple weeks ago. The Bye would be a great time to take that package seriously and implement it in the offense.

Assuming Holiday can hold on to the ball, Denver can completely catch teams off guard and give their defense something else to plan for.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                    The bye is a pretty tough opponent to crack. There's no game film on it, after all.
                    I know. What are their tendencies, anyway?
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Getting healthy.

Need Woody and Franklin back badly and im sure a couple others are a little banged up like Ayers, Manning, Duke, etc.

The fumbles are the biggest thing, seems every game we have one, it's irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                        Well, outside of getting everyone healthy, I'm interested in seeing if Trindon gets involved in the offense like he hinted at a couple weeks ago. The Bye would be a great time to take that package seriously and implement it in the offense.

Assuming Holiday can hold on to the ball, Denver can completely catch teams off guard and give their defense something else to plan for.
                        That could be interesting. Certainly dynamic in space, but the fumble risk that comes with a small dude getting hit by first string defensive players? Yikes. If it panned out, he could be a bit of a Darren Sproles type player; small but explosive, and a mismatch everywhere he lines up.

Comment

I wouldnt use Holliday on offense, he's too important in the return game.

Comment

A much needed break, that couldn't come at a better time.

Comment

Bye-Week Thoughts?

Hey all, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts/predictions are on the upcoming bye week and what you're looking forward to coming out of it. Personally for me there are a couple things.

The health of Peyton Manning. By now everyone knows that Peyton has been playing with two sprained ankles, one of which was a high sprain. I believe after the bye week the offense will be firing on all cylinders. Peyton's performances have dipped recently, but after discovering the injuries it's now all understandable. I'm looking towards a more healthy Peyton who really drive off his feet now. I would also like to see the receivers work on breaking press coverage as an emphasis of practice.

How the defense will play. I hope that the defense will build off the momentum of that final quarter in the Redskins game. They were absolutely phenomenal in the final quarter of that game and gave a glimpse of what a good D we could have. The Redskins now have the number 7th ranked offense who I believe was top 5 before the game. I want to see the defense play with fire and intensity. I loved how physical they looked last game. I can only assume Von Miller will be close to full playing form by the next time they play with two more weeks under his belt.

Finally, I would like to see the sum of the previously mentioned things I'm looking forward too. I want to see just how good this Bronco team can be when they play a complete game. If the offense plays like we all know they can, and the defense plays like they did in the 4th quarter, I can only imagine how good the team could be.

Comment

Working...
                              X