Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanzo the Razor
    replied
    Can you explain what the under/over/nornal designations mean? I've been wondering.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    One more question if you don't mind, wasn't the 46 where the FS was deep middle & the SF was up closer with the linebackers? What was the basis of the 46 opposed to the 3-4 or 4-3?
    Buddy Ryan called his D 46 because his SS, Doug Plank, wore #46. It's a version of the Double Eagle which itself is a shifted 50. 50 has 0 and two 4/5 techs, two stand up 9s and two Backers. The 46 aka "Bear" has 0 tech, two 3 techs, a wide 9 on the split side, a Backer lined up as a 7 on the tight side (inside the TE), SS as a 9 on the tight side and Backers over the OTs at Backer depth.

Two Corners and a FS round out the Secondary. Regular Double Eagle is just a 50 with the 4/5 techs kicked inside to 3s. Broncos ran the Double Eagle in game #1. Double Eagle and "Bear" are very difficult to run on because the Center and Guards are covered. Angle Blocked rushing attacks use pulling Guards. T-N-T defeats that blocking scheme.

It's easy to recognize from the T-N-T interior DL. Homer Smith gave a good clinic presentation "Scoring Through the Double Eagle" on p.32 of Offensive Football Strategies published by the American Football Coaches Association.

4-3, 4-2-5/4-4-3 area split front Ds while the 50, 3-4, "Bear" and Double Eagle are odd fronts. 46/"Bear" is essentially a six man line with two Backers which makes it similar to the 6-2 Under/Over/Normal which was considered effective against the Single Wing.
    Last edited by samparnell; 10-30-2013, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by crash123go View Post
    How is it a 50 when they're are no stand up DE on the field? We're not talking Robert ayers here we are talking about 2 traditional rush backers in a 3-4 with miller and Phillips
    It's what I saw on the field. 0 tech sometime Aggied in the A Gap. One of the 4/5 techs Eagled to a 3. Two stand up 9 techs. When that alignment is at LOS with Two Backers, it's a 50. The two defenses are easy to confuse. For years I thought they were the same until the guy I worked under chalked me up on it. Pro teams switch back and forth at will since many OLBs can play stand up End no problem.

Seeing an alignment and understanding how it works are two different things. I went to Lobo Football Clinics for years and saw Bronco Mendenhall and Rocky Long chalk up the 3-3-5 before I began to get a clue. Same with the 4-2-5/4-4-3 that our head coach worked on with Gary Patterson and which I got to coach and call at the JV level.

JDR already showed a Double Eagle look as far back as the season opener. It's not that much of a switch to play a straight 50. A lot of NFL odd front teams do. KC played a straight 50 against the Broncos in 2011. The Steelers played a lot of straight 50 against the Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

JDR has shown 4-3, split front nickel and dime, Double Eagle, 3-3-5, 3-4 and 50. It looks like they have it all installed and just need to decide what to put in the game plan and rep during the week.
    Last edited by samparnell; 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    I see Holliday being a great decoy receiver to run a post and take the defenders deep. He can get down the field in a hurry taking two defenders with him and spreading out the defense.

I also see him being a great option for a bubble screen.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    I think it was pretty dominant against the tighter run packages, yes?
    Yeah, I would say 8 in the box in a time where the offense was 2 Wr, 1FB, 1HB, 1TE, 5OL, & the QB. It could have been real affective getting pressure on the QB too. You would have to have to real good corners. You know when you think about it now a days pro coaches really copy a lot of college offensive formations & plays. You would think it would be the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Doogansquest
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    That face mask "no-call" saved a huge play for Washington. He had one more cut to make and he was off to the races.
    That would be the case, more often than not, if Manning and Gase dial it up correctly. It's an out-of-the-blue play call they can then fake off of later. Other than literally grab on for dear life, I imagine the defenses have little else they can do if it's executed properly. Hopefully Holliday doesn't get hurt as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Doogansquest
    replied
    Yea they lost to Miami, It was actually Buddy Ryan's defense who was the D coodinator for Ditka & every now & again you will see Rex or Rob use the 46. I was just wanting know what was the theory behind the 46, opposed to Ryan just using a 3-4 or 4-3????
    I think it was pretty dominant against the tighter run packages, yes?

Leave a comment:

• Matymaddog
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson_56 View Post
    Well actually, it looks like if you follow only your own team, you get access to everything besides the playoffs, Superbowl, and the condensed games. Coaches film is what I'm looking for though. Thank you all. If anyone else is interested it only costs $24.99, and you can watch all the Broncos games from this year.
    I was always under the impression that if you opted for your team only that you didn't get the all-22 but it sounds like I was wrong. I like to have the package I have cause I can watch it until July so it allows me to check out any FA pick ups we have made

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson_56
    replied
    Well actually, it looks like if you follow only your own team, you get access to everything besides the playoffs, Superbowl, and the condensed games. Coaches film is what I'm looking for though. Thank you all. If anyone else is interested it only costs $24.99, and you can watch all the Broncos games from this year.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson_56
    replied
    The nfl game rewind, if I just get the one to follow me team, I believe is $29.99, will I be able to see the All-22s for the Broncos? Because I could really careless about any other team. If anyone knows, it would be much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
    Ditka ran the 46 with some of his Bears teams and has since been quoted saying today's offenses would crush it. Spreading it out with 3-4 WR's would be a nightmare. You'd basically be trusting LB's to cover slot receivers. Wasn't the one game Chicago lost in the 1985 season to the Miami Dolphins where Marino spread them out?
    Yea they lost to Miami, It was actually Buddy Ryan's defense who was the D coodinator for Ditka & every now & again you will see Rex or Rob use the 46. I was just wanting know what was the theory behind the 46, opposed to Ryan just using a 3-4 or 4-3????

Leave a comment:

• Doogansquest
    replied
    46 was 8 in box, which was used to pressure the QB or stop the run the way I always took it. I know every now & again Rob & Rex use it. It looks like now a days It's become almost obsolete because of three & four WR sets or spreads correct? That also means back in the day you had to have some awesome cornerbacks to pull this defense off correct?
    Ditka ran the 46 with some of his Bears teams and has since been quoted saying today's offenses would crush it. Spreading it out with 3-4 WR's would be a nightmare. You'd basically be trusting LB's to cover slot receivers. Wasn't the one game Chicago lost in the 1985 season to the Miami Dolphins where Marino spread them out?

Leave a comment:

• Matymaddog
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson_56 View Post
    What is this All-22 everyone is saying they are watching? I can't find any videos on the internet, just all-22 articles like the Ravens Broncos one posted earlier in this thread.
    It's on nfl.com under their nfl game rewind package which you have to pay around $60 for (I think that's what I spent) and in it you can watch the broadcast, condensed broadcast footage and coaches tape (All-22)

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    46 was 8 in box, which was used to pressure the QB or stop the run the way I always took it. I know every now & again Rob & Rex use it. It looks like now a days It's become almost obsolete because of three & four WR sets or spreads correct? That also means back in the day you had to have some awesome cornerbacks to pull this defense off correct?

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson_56
    replied
    What is this All-22 everyone is saying they are watching? I can't find any videos on the internet, just all-22 articles like the Ravens Broncos one posted earlier in this thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X