Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What scares you about the trade deadline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    Allen isnt much of an upgrade over what we got, no thanks.
    Even if he isn't, he's still a dangerous pass rusher that gets a lot more respect from coordinators than Ayers or Phillips. He's a fa at the end of the year, so if he doesn't work it really won't mean much. We had trouble keeping all of our draft picks on the roster this year, there will be even tougher decisions next year. A 3rd round pick won't make or break us next year, but Allen could push us over the edge this year

Comment

The problem is if you take on Allen's pretty high salary, you're basically renting him for 8 weeks plus the postseason. There's no guarantee we'd get him longer. And while a lot of people are recalling Hillman being drafted in the 3rd round and not amounting to much yet, draft picks are still at a premium. Look at Webster. There's also the argument about Allen putting the defense over the edge for a super bowl run, but having the opportunity to draft a player that will contribute for many years may mean more to the franchise.

Comment

Look it's pretty simple. If Jared Allen is available for a draft pick you have to consider it. I mean after Elvis left we were targeting Abraham and Freeney who are significantly older than Allen is right now and without the pass rush pedigree.

Jared Allen is a very good player with plenty left to give. Reality is that we are ina win now situation and Allen gives you that not only this year, but also in a near term window of 1-3 years.

The bye week could not come at a better time. If a deal gets done tomorrow then he can work in easily for that stretch run.

I hope beyond all hope that we can get him because he makes us significantly better, but I realize it's unlikely this will get done.
        Wanting to win does not make you a winner. Refusing to fail does.

Comment

Minnesota is currently dead last in getting off the field on 3rd down. Reason? They have no play at the DT position. They are always stuck facing 3rd and short. Jared Allen can't really be maximized in those situations. He spent a lot of years with the Williams Wall and that helped him out. Minnesota also used to get decent QB play on the other side of the ball to give the defense a chance to rest and play for something.

It's definitely no secret that he's unhappy there.

Denver has good DT play, as well as Ayers, Phillips, and Miller. Allen would be a monster in Denver. They only need to rent him for this year, with an option to buy. This is about getting guys like that the rings which have eluded them.
          Last edited by Doogansquest; 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

KC offered a 5th for TonyG, Atl wanted a 3rd.

Seems about fair if true.

Comment

I wonder if more announcements will be made after the behind-the-scenes stuff settles. We don't always hear everything by the end of the trade deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                I wonder if more announcements will be made after the behind-the-scenes stuff settles. We don't always hear everything by the end of the trade deadline.
                It came down to the Vikes eating some money on the Allen deal, per VicLombardi.

Comment

It came down to the Vikes eating some money on the Allen deal, per VicLombardi.
                  Sounds like Denver wanted them to pay a part of the remaining contract.

What I'm referring to though, is that moves may have been made, or further negotiations (not necessarily by Denver) behind the scenes that no one will hear about until tomorrow.

I do like that Denver didn't come off as desperate. They have a great team in place already.

Comment

Looks like Seattle is possibly interested in Allen as well. Vikes want a 2nd round pick, but could settle for a conditional 3rd round pick. We will see!

Comment

Bye Jared, it will be a love affair that never was in the mile high city

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by USMC_BRONCO View Post
                        Looks like Seattle is possibly interested in Allen as well. Vikes want a 2nd round pick, but could settle for a conditional 3rd round pick. We will see!
                        Umm, trade deadline is over lol.......

Comment

Umm, trade deadline is over lol.......
                          Yeah, my mistake.

Comment

Working...
                          X