Runningback break Down- Going Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runningback break Down- Going Forward

After Yesterdays shift in the running back committee we have here in Denver I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on how that game went.

1. Did everyone agree with the change from Hillman to Anderson?

2. Your thoughts on the current breakdown of roles and # of runs

3. Predictions for the future games (who gets more carries etc.)

My Thoughts:

- Ball (to me) appeared to have almost dropped the ball again on his 2nd attempt to get into the endzone last game - This is a concern

Edit: see GIF of the play below. Occurred in the 4th with 11:59 left until 11:52 left

- Moreno played very well but I think for a runner like him he needs a lot better blocking in order to run up the middle and gain yardage

- C.J. as soon as he got his first run out of the way really did well and had a stellar 1st outing. ran right up the middle and had some great gains

Example of a great run is in the GIF below.

- C.J. needs some work in the passing game and needs to read some of the plays a bit better. There were a few there where I think based on coverage he should have stayed back rather than running full tilt out to become a receiver. Perhaps that was the play call but some of the protection looked shaky and he could have been used as an escape route for Manning if he had stayed back

- Ball on his 1st TD of his career showed some true grit. Did a great job of pushing that pile- I have been critical of Ball but credit where credit is due- Nice one

- There were a few attempts to run to the outside with Moreno who appeared to have some difficulty doing that for the second game in a row. With a banged up O-Line burst speed in those scenarios is key. These types of plays are where Hillman- IMO would be better suited for

I found this picture from the game day photos. C.J. can jump.....
    Last edited by Rich_C; 10-31-2013, 07:40 AM.

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    After Yesterdays shift in the running back committee we have here in Denver I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on how that game went.

1. Did everyone agree with the change from Hillman to Anderson?

2. Your thoughts on the current breakdown of roles and # of runs

3. Predictions for the future games (who gets more carries etc.)

My Thoughts:

- Ball (to me) appeared to have almost dropped the ball again on his 2nd attempt to get into the endzone last game - This is a concern

- Moreno played very well but I think for a runner like him he needs a lot better blocking in order to run up the middle and gain yardage

- C.J. as soon as he got his first run out of the way really did well and had a stellar 1st outing. ran right up the middle and had some great gains

- C.J. needs some work in the passing game and needs to read some of the plays a bit better. There were a few there where I think based on coverage he should have stayed back rather than running full tilt out to become a receiver. Perhaps that was the play call but some of the protection looked shaky and he could have been used as an escape route for Manning if he had stayed back

- Ball on his 1st TD of his career showed some true grit. Did a great job of pushing that pile- I have been critical of Ball but credit where credit is due- Nice one

- There were a few attempts to run to the outside with Moreno who appeared to have some difficulty doing that for the second game in a row. With a banged up O-Line burst speed in those scenarios is key. These types of plays are where Hillman- IMO would be better suited for

I found this picture from the game day photos. C.J. can jump.....
    The pile pusher was Manny Ramirez. Manny and Montee came off the bottom of the pile on the GL.

It is generally considered to be a waste of time to try and get outside on an odd front D.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I am loving what Knowshon has been doing this year and have gained a new respect for him. I am hoping that he can finally have a full healthy season but I am skeptical that this will continue. I think that we will be seeing more of Ball and C.J. more after the bye week to try to lighten Moreno's work load a little to try and keep him healthy through the rest of the year.
      sigpic

2015 Adopted Bronco Von MIller
      UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!!

Comment

For me personally, I'm happy with the three backs that played yesterday & these are the backs I want to move forward with. I won't sit here & bad mouth Hillman, but he got himself where he is. After yesterday I don't feel uncomfortable about much of anything with this team. But with the runningbacks I dont think much will change going forward. CJ & Ball may get more PT or more carries but I don't see Moreno's role diminishing, the dude is just a tough playmaker. I really think Ball is & will continue to get better & I hope CJ does as well. It will be a huge advantage having three good runningbacks going into the playoffs.
        Last edited by ELWAY421; 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I liked the way they ran yesterday.

Anderson should be getting more carries, Hillman has no one to blame but himself.

The 3 looked solid yesterday.

Comment

I like all 4 RB and Hillman will be back when he gets his technique down. Fumbles are fixable, knowshon is proof of that
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
              I liked the way they ran yesterday.

Anderson should be getting more carries, Hillman has no one to blame but himself.

The 3 looked solid yesterday.
              Gotta agree with this. I think, until proven otherwise or due to an injury of some kind, this should be our committee of running backs. CJ didn't get a ton of touches, but I liked what he did when he got them. Nice knowing you, Hillman.

Comment

I like all our backs...I'm just always yelling at the tv "hold on to the ball" for fear of a fumble.

I just wish we didn't run up the middle (or in tight) so much but that's cause I'm just still missing the ZBS with the stretch run, 1 cut days and just get depressed when I see the Skins & Texans run it and we never do.

Yeah I know Elway's not the coach but you'd think he'd put a bug in Fox/Gase ear to run some of the stuff that made us a top rushing attack during his final years.

And what was the point in bringing in Alex Gibbs anyway if we weren't going to implement any of his ZBS system???
                Last edited by Mel B.; 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                  I like all 4 RB and Hillman will be back when he gets his technique down. Fumbles are fixable, knowshon is proof of that
                  Even though I thought it was ridiculous for fans to crucify Hillman for his fumble,last week...I think we have 4 capable backs that will get the job done.......but ....I wish we can run the ball alot more.....

I agree Hillman's and Ball fumble problem can be fixed....
                  I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Watch all the run plays carefully and one will see zone blocking being used quite a bit, at least half the time. It may not always be Zone Stretch Cutback, but zone steps are a big part of the current rushing attack. When you don't see a puller, it's usually zone. If you see all OL moving laterally in the same direction at the snap, it's zone. There's Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Zone Stretch Cutback and Boot. Gibbs is a big part of teaching this.

When the Broncos are playing an odd front defense, the rushing attack will come mostly between the Tackles because trying to run outside on an odd front is considered a waste of time.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                      Even though I thought it was ridiculous for fans to crucify Hillman for his fumble,last week...I think we have 4 capable backs that will get the job done.......but ....I wish we can run the ball alot more.....

I agree Hillman's and Ball fumble problem can be fixed....

I agree. People act like he cost us the game forgetting we were down by 9 points due to Peyton's INT the series before which led to 3 points for the Colts pushing their 6 point lead up to 9. Everybody seems to forget that. So even if he would've scored we're still down by 2 at worst and 1 at best. Then we'd still need luck with recovering an on-side kick, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Watch all the run plays carefully and one will see zone blocking being used quite a bit, at least half the time. It may not always be Zone Stretch Cutback, but zone steps are a big part of the current rushing attack. When you don't see a puller, it's usually zone. If you see all OL moving laterally in the same direction at the snap, it's zone. There's Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Zone Stretch Cutback and Boot. Gibbs is a big part of teaching this.

When the Broncos are playing an odd front defense, the rushing attack will come mostly between the Tackles because trying to run outside on an odd front is considered a waste of time.

Ok got'cha...thanks for the lesson.

That Zone Stretch Cutback is what I miss so much and what we never do.

And I never really expect any boots or roll-outs with Manning but I miss seeing that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                          I agree. People act like he cost us the game forgetting we were down by 9 points due to Peyton's INT the series before which led to 3 points for the Colts pushing their 6 point lead up to 9. Everybody seems to forget that. So even if he would've scored we're still down by 2 at worst and 1 at best. Then we'd still need luck with recovering an on-side kick, etc.

You have your opinion and I have mines.....
                          I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

I liked what I saw out of CJ Anderson and Ball. They looked like studs, especially Anderson on his four carries. I'm really curious to see what he's capable of going forward.

Moreno is the clear starter and he was exciting as hell to watch.

I hope the benching does Hillman as well as it did Moreno and he comes back with something to prove. I don't think he deserves to be exiled forever... but that said, if the other three RBs keep playing mistake-free football, it'll be hard to squeeze a fourth guy back in. He had the starter position and fumbled it away all by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                              I think a three-and-out would have given the Broncos enough time to get a field goal -- they did have most of their time outs left, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X