A 10 Quarter Slump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 10 Quarter Slump?

I do not think we played up to our potential for 10 quarters. The entire Jags Game, The entire Colts game and the first half of the Skins game .... we were not crisp nor focused. IT was like a switch got flipped in the second half of the skins game and we went back to playing football at the same intense focused crisp level like we started the season. I think is is very very possible we demolish the competition from this point forward for the rest of the season. PS it is pretty amazing when you have a slump and go 2 for 3 and lose by only 1 score on the loss. We have a very good football team. I am wondering if anyone else saw the lights come back on for the whole team in Q3 of the skins game ?

Yes, it reminded me of the SD game last year. I'm hoping our D plays like that for the rest of the year.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

If we can keep Woodyard healthy, and Von keeps progressing back to his old self, and pot roast keeps getting more dominant - I see the defense getting back to what it was last year. If that actually happens I truly believe this team will be unstoppable.

Hopefully we'll cary over what we did to Washington to the SD game. I'm more worried about SD in SD than I am taking on KC at home.

Comment

The upside to this is that we can probably beat just about any team in the league with one good quarter of play.
        [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WillTopper View Post
          I do not think we played up to our potential for 10 quarters. The entire Jags Game, The entire Colts game and the first half of the Skins game .... we were not crisp nor focused. IT was like a switch got flipped in the second half of the skins game and we went back to playing football at the same intense focused crisp level like we started the season. I think is is very very possible we demolish the competition from this point forward for the rest of the season. PS it is pretty amazing when you have a slump and go 2 for 3 and lose by only 1 score on the loss. We have a very good football team. I am wondering if anyone else saw the lights come back on for the whole team in Q3 of the skins game ?
          There have been several posts like this with similar themes. I don't think our defence has played THAT poorly for the first part of this season. I noticed a weird trend where you would see Harris or Duke almost try to jump a route (their body would twitch as if they were going to jump the route) but then stop themselves. I have to assume that this was due to coaching. The type of play we had in the last half of the game against Washington is the type of play we need from our team the rest of this season.

If we can get just 1 takeaway per game coupled with a few 3 and outs I think we will be incredibly difficult to stop. That type of play will keep our scoring avg. around the same as it is now and I do not believe there is another team even close to us.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
            Yes, it reminded me of the SD game last year. I'm hoping our D plays like that for the rest of the year.
            Not only in terms of being down late and pouring it on, but hopefully in regards to getting on a roll from this point onwards. The bye came after the win against the Chargers last season, also.

Comment

They "peaked" ( 17 straight ? ) now it is just about keeping it together enough to win a championship! We are a good team now, we will see just how good we really are! I think we have great chance this year to win a championship!

Comment

I do not really care about regular season wins. Just want to make playoffs...hopefully get a game or two at home...and that is when I want us to start "peaking"

This team is built to win the last game...that is the number one priority.

Defense played ok considering there are different pieces then last year and our two best players (arguably) were not in there.

Also I will take any offense in a "slump" that puts up 30+ points....we should win games with our healthy defense if we can "only manage" 30+

The key is defense....the defense needs to be able to stop good teams least 35-45% (quick guess) of the time imo.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  I do not really care about regular season wins. Just want to make playoffs...hopefully get a game or two at home...and that is when I want us to start "peaking"

This team is built to win the last game...that is the number one priority.

Defense played ok considering there are different pieces then last year and our two best players (arguably) were not in there.

Also I will take any offense in a "slump" that puts up 30+ points....we should win games with our healthy defense if we can "only manage" 30+

The key is defense....the defense needs to be able to stop good teams least 35-45% (quick guess) of the time imo.
                  Great post!

Comment

I wouldn't even call it a 10 quarter slump.

We beat the Jags 35-19. Everyone was just disappointed we didn't cover that insanely overhyped spread.

Without all the hype everyone here would've been more than ecstatic with a 35-19 win. No one griped when we only beat the Raiders 37-21. Why? Because their wasn't an insanely high spread talked about for two weeks.

Sure there were flaws and we punted more than usual but we didn't play poorly. A fumble at the 2 took away a TD that would've put us over 40.

And stupid unforced turnovers also set the jags up with 9 points. Other than that we throroughly dominated the Jags as well. I don't consider that game a slump just because it wasn't in the 50 point range.

The Colts game as a little more concerning but still wouldn't call it a full game slump. We scored 33 still and would've scored more if not for boneheaded unforced mistakes.

And again the offense was responsible for another 9-12 points that the defense didn't allow.

Fast forward to the Skins game and again not as slow as we showed on paper.

We shut them down except for 1 bad drive first half.

Offense also did ok. We had 200 yards of offense. But we just kept stalling out before scoring range. Defense was getting stops but not before a first down or two that was making it hard for us to flip field position.

It's not that surprising that we kept stalling out when we kept starting inside our 15. It's really hard in the NFL to sustain long drives no matte how good your offense is.

I still say we thoroughly dominated the first half despite the tie score.

Then our offense gift wrapped another 14 points to start the second half. But after that they were unstoppable.

And defense was able to keep the skins from flipping field position. And then started forcing turnovers to shrink our field even more. We all know what happened from there.

I 100% believe there is nothing wrong with this team or that they have even been slowed down.

The turnovers existed in the first 6 games. They just weren't nearly as costly as the last three weeks.

They are boneheaded mistakes that I fully believe we will clean up.

So I laugh at a 10 quarter slump in which we still scored 68 in the first 8 quarters of.
                    sigpic

Comment

I just think the Broncos don't play an entire game. They always have about 15 minutes of great football surrounded by 45 mins of average to atrocious football.

People loved it when Tebow did that.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The Denver Broncos are notorious to play to the level of their opponent.

I think it is scary good to think that if we actually played 3 or 4 quarters of knockout football, imagine how amazing this team can be!

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                          The upside to this is that we can probably beat just about any team in the league with one good quarter of play.
                          Nobody noticed this gem of a post.

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          See, that's not enough for me. "Just making the playoffs" and becoming another forgettable championship team in the scheme of things is no good. Manning's legacy would become golden, but I want it platinum or diamond. Engineer one of the best seasons of all-time. None of this 11-5, win a bunch by field goals garbage and a tuck rule gift from the refs. Those teams are forgettable. This needs to be discussed among the best teams of all-time.

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                          The Denver Broncos are notorious to play to the level of their opponent.

I think it is scary good to think that if we actually played 3 or 4 quarters of knockout football, imagine how amazing this team can be!
                          Everyone plays to the level of their opponent. It's called game-planning for an opponent.

Also, no team plays 4 quarters of knockout football. That's why the scoreboards always look so odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                            Nobody noticed this gem of a post.

See, that's not enough for me. "Just making the playoffs" and becoming another forgettable championship team in the scheme of things is no good. Manning's legacy would become golden, but I want it platinum or diamond. Engineer one of the best seasons of all-time. None of this 11-5, win a bunch by field goals garbage and a tuck rule gift from the refs. Those teams are forgettable. This needs to be discussed among the best teams of all-time.

Everyone plays to the level of their opponent. It's called game-planning for an opponent.

Also, no team plays 4 quarters of knockout football. That's why the scoreboards always look so odd.
                            Good Post! Unfortunately, this being a bye week we're going to have a mini off season in terms of posting. The boards are going to explode when we get to our "Divisional Round." Till then alot of introspection and conjecture.

Her's to getting well rested!
                            [sigpic

Comment

I am not saying they played poorly in the 'slump'... I do not think that there was the precision and intense drive I saw in the first games.. in those 3 games. I love it that we won 2 out of 3 and scored 68 points not playing our best football. I do not see it as a D or O slump either ..... I think it was team wide from the coaches all the way down to the gatorade carriers. If we keep the intensity and focus up I think this could arguably be the best team in the history of the game.

I am also more concerned about SD than I am KC. If we have another loss this season I think it will be one of the 2 SD games. And I have not been concerned about the D like a lot of people have.

Comment

Working...
                              X