A 10 Quarter Slump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I wouldn't even call it a 10 quarter slump.

We beat the Jags 35-19. Everyone was just disappointed we didn't cover that insanely overhyped spread.

Without all the hype everyone here would've been more than ecstatic with a 35-19 win. No one griped when we only beat the Raiders 37-21. Why? Because their wasn't an insanely high spread talked about for two weeks.

Sure there were flaws and we punted more than usual but we didn't play poorly. A fumble at the 2 took away a TD that would've put us over 40.

And stupid unforced turnovers also set the jags up with 9 points. Other than that we throroughly dominated the Jags as well. I don't consider that game a slump just because it wasn't in the 50 point range.

The Colts game as a little more concerning but still wouldn't call it a full game slump. We scored 33 still and would've scored more if not for boneheaded unforced mistakes.

And again the offense was responsible for another 9-12 points that the defense didn't allow.

Fast forward to the Skins game and again not as slow as we showed on paper.

We shut them down except for 1 bad drive first half.

Offense also did ok. We had 200 yards of offense. But we just kept stalling out before scoring range. Defense was getting stops but not before a first down or two that was making it hard for us to flip field position.

It's not that surprising that we kept stalling out when we kept starting inside our 15. It's really hard in the NFL to sustain long drives no matte how good your offense is.

I still say we thoroughly dominated the first half despite the tie score.

Then our offense gift wrapped another 14 points to start the second half. But after that they were unstoppable.

And defense was able to keep the skins from flipping field position. And then started forcing turnovers to shrink our field even more. We all know what happened from there.

I 100% believe there is nothing wrong with this team or that they have even been slowed down.

The turnovers existed in the first 6 games. They just weren't nearly as costly as the last three weeks.

They are boneheaded mistakes that I fully believe we will clean up.

So I laugh at a 10 quarter slump in which we still scored 68 in the first 8 quarters of.
    Well said.

In the grand scheme of things, I wasn't too worried about the defense either. It all seemed to be correctable issues, as well as waiting for the two best players to be back and at full speed.

Comment

if your gonna have a slump, that was a pretty good time to do it. It would suck hard if we started a slump next week and lost against the chargers and chiefs. Its good to face adversity early in the season, especially against non-divisional opponents. The loss to the colts was pretty devestating to us the fans, as some of us had dreams of an undefeated season. But that monkey's off our backs now. And with the injuries we had , its not like it was really an embarrassing loss. We still haven't put together a complete football games. We still have lots of room for improvement. I think we'll be peaking at just the right time this year- in the playoffs!

Comment

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Bronco offense ranks about a 5, and its defense ranks about a 2.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Cowboys offense ranks a 4, and its defense ranks a 2. Hence, we scored 51, but they scored 48. We barely beat them.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Jags offense ranks a 2, and its defense ranks a 3. Hence, we scored 35, but they scored 19. We beat them, but it wasn't a rout.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Colts offense ranks about a 5, and its defense ranks about a 4. Hence, they beat us, and it wasn't as close as the final score made it sound.

Don't know about the Redskins.

San Diego's offense has been declining while their defense has been getting better. Their offense looks like about a 3, and their defense looks like a 4. That would suggest their contest with us will be a close affair with both teams scoring in the 20s.

Comment

If that is what you all guys call a slump, then I will take it!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
            On a scale of 1 to 5, the Bronco offense ranks about a 5, and its defense ranks about a 2.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Cowboys offense ranks a 4, and its defense ranks a 2. Hence, we scored 51, but they scored 48. We barely beat them.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Jags offense ranks a 2, and its defense ranks a 3. Hence, we scored 35, but they scored 19. We beat them, but it wasn't a rout.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the Colts offense ranks about a 5, and its defense ranks about a 4. Hence, they beat us, and it wasn't as close as the final score made it sound.

Don't know about the Redskins.

San Diego's offense has been declining while their defense has been getting better. Their offen looks like about a 3, and their defense looks like a 4. That would suggest their contest with us will be a close affair with both teams scoring in the 20s.
            I disagree with what you said about the colts. Shady officiating and injuries took their toll on us.Yet we still likely would have won had hillman not fumbled. The colts are good but they definitely played their best game of the season against us, much like dallas did. I won't mind seeing the playoffs. If we play them again, I think we'll dominate.

I also don't think the San diego game will be close. I worry about our o-lines performance in that game but if they keep manning upright for most of the game we should win by a couple of scores at least-something like 35-21.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
              If that is what you all guys call a slump, then I will take it!
              Yep kind of my point ... even when we dont play to our potential we are pretty darn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                I do not really care about regular season wins. Just want to make playoffs...hopefully get a game or two at home...and that is when I want us to start "peaking"

This team is built to win the last game...that is the number one priority.

Defense played ok considering there are different pieces then last year and our two best players (arguably) were not in there.

Also I will take any offense in a "slump" that puts up 30+ points....we should win games with our healthy defense if we can "only manage" 30+

The key is defense....the defense needs to be able to stop good teams least 35-45% (quick guess) of the time imo.
                Amen, the key to the result of this season is defense. If the defense plays up to its potential during the playoffs, Manning and company will bring home yet another championship to the beautiful city of Denver. We all know that the offense is going to put up enough points to win, and if they're on their A-game, they can still win it all even if the defense performs poorly. That being said, if the defense brings its A-game to the playoffs, I guarantee Denver will win SuperBowl XLVIII.

Comment

I think another key to our success will be turnovers. We MUST fix this or it will be our undoing. I can't take it anymore.

This is what I worry most about, especially against KC. They win by the TO battle. Eventually we are not going to be able to overcome them. We have had only one game without a TO. Unacceptable.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                  X